Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:42:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690744
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gripping beast to do plastic Arab cavalry released in April  (Read 21681 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: Gripping beast to do plastic Arab cavalry released in April
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
Sorry all, didn't realise I'd written the w word. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 12:21:10 PM »
Mad Doc: I've said it before, but whatever things you can fault GW for (and there are lots), but I think they've improved their plastic designs. In terms of poses, at least. Not so much variation and customisation maybe, and still a lot of bits in some cases (especially those dual- or triple-purpose kits) but they've almost left behind the idea of separate, 'posable' arms, legs, heads, torsos etc. to be awkwardly bodged together in weird uncanny-valley shapes and poses.

Captain Blood: my suspicions were first aroused by the rushed looking job on some 6mm sci-fi years ago. Unfortunately a lot of stuff I've seen since hasn't improved that view.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:26:14 PM by Vermis »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
Perry plastics, the Wars of the Roses stuff, are perfectly decent and give a very good effect en masse - I much prefer this to the 12 all stood in the same pose of the old GW stuff (sorry TWD). And GW have shown that it's possible to make excellent plastics, the skaven and elves from the Island of Blood is a good example of what can be achieved.

GB are just poor sculpts, whether in plastic or metal, they are a couple of decades old (or their style is) and it shows. I have their vikings in metal and they are the poorest set of metals in my whole collection. My mate has their plastic vikings and these are just as bad. Credit where it's due, their plastic Saxons are very nice, but on the whole I avoid them. I cannot believe that people actually like the preview shots.  ???

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
Perry plastics, the Wars of the Roses stuff, are perfectly decent and give a very good effect en masse - I much prefer this to the 12 all stood in the same pose of the old GW stuff (sorry TWD). And GW have shown that it's possible to make excellent plastics, the skaven and elves from the Island of Blood is a good example of what can be achieved.

No offence taken.
I actually think we're agreeing. The IoB models are the same principal of limited number of "fixed" poses, but with fifteen years of technical and sculpting advantages.
They're not compromised "multipart" models.
Each set of components makes a single lovely model.
Personally I find them too detailed and a bit fussy, but that's a stylistic/taste difference - quality wise they're fantastic.
I loved the Night Goblins in the Skull pass set. Single piece models but with enough variation to get a good effect en masse. The Dwarfs, not so much.

In terms of poses, at least. Not so much variation and customisation maybe, and still a lot of bits in some cases (especially those dual- or triple-purpose kits) but they've almost left behind the idea of separate, 'posable' arms, legs, heads, torsos etc. to be awkwardly bodged together in weird uncanny-valley shapes and poses.
Precisely. GW models are increasingly no longer "multi-pose" and IMO the end results are far superior.

As other have said the Perry Twins are the only sculptors who've come close to mastering the art of genuine multi-pose kits, and even then it's possible to make some stinkers.

It's clearly something some of the plastics manufacturers are becoming wise to. The first Victrix Napoleonic kits trumpeted their customisability, but many (me included) preferred the comparative simplicity of the Perry kits to the "Tamiya kit" like complexity of the Victrix.
Now the fact that most plastic Naps are march attack with only three components is used as a USP.

I think you may have hit upon the central problem  ::)

I believe he's known as Bish-Bash Bob in some circles...

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2015, 01:39:56 AM »
although I'm going to commit a horrible blasphemy: I don't think Bob Naismith's sculpting and design is all that and a bag of chips. I don't think a well-known name and 30 years experience makes that horse look much better!
I've gotten my head bitten off several times for expressing this very same sentiment...
~Eric

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 06:02:46 AM »
You guys wanna hope Darren doesn't recognise your aliases!!  lol lol

Just joshing of course, I don't think he'll be that worried.....

Darrell.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
I don't want to turn this into the 'let's get Bob' topic, but...

I believe he's known as Bish-Bash Bob in some circles...

:D

I've gotten my head bitten off several times for expressing this very same sentiment...
~Eric

Just joshing of course, I don't think he'll be that worried...

I think it's like the GW effect on a smaller scale. Other established businesses and sculptors have their devoted followers no matter what, and will have few problems shifting product; and woe betide anyone who might suggest to the followers that things could be improved.

But what can ye do about it? :-I

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »
Ohh ohh.. The cover art are revealed...   :-* :-* :-*

http://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/Plastic_Arab_Cavalry--category--339.html

I want these...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:22:35 AM by Engel »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 07:59:35 PM »
Based on the box art?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:09 PM »
Shiny covers...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Rotorcraft

• Bookworm
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »
Well, they are previewing them painted and... IMHO they don´t look any better.

(I´m sorry but I really, really hate those horses)  :?

Best regards.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »
Well it's a nice neat paintjob on the riders. Makes them look a lot better, although still a little bit stiff looking in some poses...

But I agree, the horses still don't look quite right. Maybe it's just the angle, but the legs look a bit bandy and the heads are still too curving from brow down to muzzle.

I bet they'll sell like hotcakes though  :)

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
And the horses look rather large, too. I am a little deflated now, seeing them in the flesh  :-[
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2015, 09:12:29 PM »
I see 2 main problems with these:

1:
The horses seem too big for light cavalry
2:
(And this is by far the worst) All the torsos seem to be sculpted after models standing (or riding) in a 'relaxed' stance, with the torso facing right ahead; if a person twists his torso to one side, the lace/buttons/whatever down the front should reflect the torsion of the body - on these, the stuff runs down to the hips when the torso is turned to the side, looking totally unnatural to me (it doesn't help that some of the torsos seem a bit short).

Had my hopes up for these, but I shall have to pass.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:04:59 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
Oh dear. I was initially worried because of the fez thing but these are just weird...