Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:04:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Testing out Foldio on Zombie Soldiers  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
Testing out Foldio on Zombie Soldiers
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »

Got my Foldio delivered to work today. It's convenient and easy to use. It certainly helped my photography improve, but not to the levels I had hoped. I guess I'll work on all that a little more.
Copplestone zombie future soldiers, of course. Great, fun sculpts with large, easy to paint details. I'm particularly happy with the skin and eyes. I bought two packs and use the Totenkrantz mini from Reaper as a leader who can resurrect the zombies over and over again.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Testing out Foldio on Zombie Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
Let me know your thoughts on it in a few weeks. A light box is definitely something I think I also need to help take better photos.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 07:57:28 AM »
pretty decent pics, but maybe a bit more light wouldn't hurt, did you get a Foldio 1 or 2 and how many light strips does it have. Been looking into getting one myself, but I'm thinking maybe I should wait till the Foldio 2 is on general sale

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »
If you happen to have a photo editor with an auto-adjust feature, use it on your photos.
I've built myself a lightbox with a milky white plastic container from Ikea and my pics are always dark but a simple click fixes that.
(I tried it with your photo and it was a lot more vibrant)

P.S. I also read that it might help to put a white and a black item next to the objects, but I don't know if that works with all cameras or just the high end models.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:58:01 AM »
That's cool! Seems to me that the background has no light enough. If you can light it to bright white, the photos will be cleaner!

And yes, some photo editing is always necessary in a softbox! ^_^

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
Thanks for the tips, lads, I'll try them out.

pretty decent pics, but maybe a bit more light wouldn't hurt, did you get a Foldio 1 or 2 and how many light strips does it have. Been looking into getting one myself, but I'm thinking maybe I should wait till the Foldio 2 is on general sale

Foldio 1, two strips, but I'm not sure where the best place to put the second strip is. Once it's attached it won't come off easily.

I tried using macro mode as many recommend, but the camera was focusing on say, an extended weapon or arm or head and blurring the rest of the miniatures body, a distance of half a cm or so!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 11:37:42 AM »
I tried using macro mode as many recommend, but the camera was focusing on say, an extended weapon or arm or head and blurring the rest of the miniatures body, a distance of half a cm or so!

If you can, try to reduce the camera lens aperture, from 2.4 to 8.1 or similar. Those number are just arbitrary, i hate photographers for that (being a physicist myself), but the idea is that will increase the focus depth.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »
As for light strips : I did a search in a chinese webshop and found 9V operated LED strips and they where available in cool white.
maybe I should try them out for my box...

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
I've not tried the foldio thing but did briefly try a light tent. To be honest I don't think they're necessary. They might work ok if you have a strong light source or a flash to bounce around inside them but the kind of make shift lighting that I guess most of us use just isn't strong enough to have much impact.

Here's my makeshift photography set up. It's a terrible image as I took it with my phone the other weekend when I was doing some photo's.

Two cheap desk lamps from Argos (for those of us in the UK), cost about £15 each and the bulbs replaced with daylight ones (can be pricey but they last years). Got to get them in really close to the subject to ensure enough light. A light tent would do absolutely nothing to improve the set up. I'm no pro though, I still had to do a little image correction in GIMP. If I could improve one thing it would be to get better lamps.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
Cool.

Looking forward to mine coming across the pond.

Nice zed shots. Btw
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.