Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: a gaslight question  (Read 3489 times)

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
a gaslight question
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »
theres a lot of talk about gaslight as a rules set for vsf
could anyone who has the rule set give me an overview of the game
and how the mechanics work?
also found the basic rules (i think) for 7 quid is that right?
cheers ace67
dont fire till ya can see the whites of there eyes

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
Re: a gaslight question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »
oh well thought someone might be able to help but alas

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:15 PM »
Slow down there, lol. I'm sure someone will give you a brief overview if you give them a chance. I'd wait till the weekend when people have some more spare time. I'd be interested as well as it seems to be a very widely used and popular system.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 12:34:44 AM »
Well Ace, seems the problem is instead of going to the GASLIGHT group ya went here for an immediate response. I play they game and like it alot. As for adetailed overview i am not the one. With that said you can do one of two things. 1. Email Chris Palmer @ cnjpalmer@aol.com to answer your questions. Chris is a swell chap and always eager to speak to the gaming populace at large. He lives in the area here and i get to see him at the local histoical cons when they happen. If you dont like that try the second option.  2. Go ahead and join the GASLIGHT Yahoo Group for direct acccess. http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GASLIGHTrules/?yguid=36945566 Those are your best options at this point for direct, accurate and quick response. :-)

Grimm

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:50:46 AM »
Hi Ace,

I'm sure you're not being ignored. GASLIGHT is my choice of rules for VSF and very good.
As twrchtrwyth said someone will come along and give you a brief overview. I would try myself but I cant do brief and dont want to put you off them!

In the meantime have a look at the GASLIGHT link Grimmnar posted and the link to the GASLIGHT webpage I posted in the thread below. You'll also see other rules mentioned.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6996.0

Welcome to VSF, you'll love it!     
Don't!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:57:57 AM »
Hi Ace,

I'm sure you're not being ignored. GASLIGHT is my choice of rules for VSF and very good.
As twrchtrwyth said someone will come along and give you a brief overview. I would try myself but I cant do brief and dont want to put you off them!

In the meantime have a look at the GASLIGHT link Grimmnar posted and the link to the GASLIGHT webpage I posted in the thread below. You'll also see other rules mentioned.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6996.0

Welcome to VSF, you'll love it!     

Agreed.

Bullshott is the man to give you a good overview. I am sure he will pick up on this thread in the next day or two.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »
Hi Ace
Like any set of rules, GASLIGHT has its good bits and bad bits, but overall the rules provide an excellent framework for running skirmish games. If you are looking for 100% accurate reconstruction of warfare these are not the rules for you. However, if you are looking for a fun set of rules that is more like Hollywood films with steam technology then these are a good option. The battles using these ruules are often short but bloody.

The game features two types of characters - Main Characters (MCs) (officers, heroic adventurers, etc.) and Extras (rank and file soldiers and natives). Extras are there to soak up enemy firepower and to make the MCs look good. MCs have better stats and are also entitled to make saving roles to avoid being killed.

Units typically comprise 10 figures - 1 or 2 MCs, with the rest being extras. You can also field artillery, steam technology and independant MCs. For a starting game I would recommend each side has 1 or 2 independant MCs, 1 or 2 10-man troop units  (or a unit and an artillery piece) and a steam vehicle.

All combat is based on rolling under a figure's SHOOT or SCUFFLE number on d20. Saving rolls for MCs and vehicles are handled the same.

Units are activated at random, when their card is drawn from a pack. When a unit is activated it tests morale (if required as a result of previous combat) and then either moves or fires. Vehicles must also make a SUSTAIN roll to check if their engines are still working.

The rules cover most ranged weapons you will need - ranging from thrown spears, through muskets to bolt-action rifles and machineguns. Artillery is also covered.

Rules are included for generating steamtech vehicles and weapons, as well as creatures ranging from lions to dinosaurs. You can use random rolls to do this, but once you have got used to the rules many players assign the vehicle/ weapon/ monster's stats themselves to create balanced games.

A lot of VSF players use GASLIGHT, and for an easy introduction to this period the rules work well. I don't know anyone who plays 'by the book', with most people adapting the rules to suit their own style of play. If you do decide to get GASLIGHT I recommend going for the basis rules book only at this stage, since (hopefully in the not too distant future) it looks like a compendium will be released combining the basic GASLIGHT rules with Battles by GASLIGHT (big battles rules), To Be Continued by GASLIGHT (character-driven skirmish rules) and some other new rules too.

When you get the rules PM me and I will email you my playsheets (written in Word to enable easy modification to suit your own games).

Finally, as has been said before, the Yahoo GASLIGHT group is a good place to find out about the rules and ask questions. Even if you don't play GASLIGHT the group is a good place for inspiration through battle reports and a large photo gallery. You will recognise several names from this forum on postings on the GASLIGHT group.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »
Couldn't have put it better. Well done that man.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »

When you get the rules PM me and I will email you my playsheets (written in Word to enable easy modification to suit your own games).

... and these are very good indeed! Sir Henry kindly sent me a copy and they are just what I was looking for.

There are lots of game reports by several LAFers [ Thunderchicken, Malamute etc] using GASLIGHT and reading through these will give you an idea of the flavour of the rules and the ease with which they deal with many varied situations. A quick search should give you the relevant threads.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the rules. They are on first seeing them, rather a small set and very generic with virtually no "fluff", but once you realise their vast potential for creating your own VSF worlds, I'm sure you'll soon be having lots of fun   :)

Offline ace67

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »
thanks alot everyone especially Bullshot will definetly look into them
sorry if i seemed a bit moany but i am a bit (alot ) inpatient
again many thanks
ace67

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 06:02:07 PM »
So, ace, did you get a chance to try GASLIGHT?

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »
Hey Ace,

Gaslight has none of the Fluff you find in a lot of rulesets these days (GW and its imitators). However this leaves you free to draw on the vast works of Victorian Science Fiction, colonial history and your own imagination to create your own version of the joy that is Victorian Science fiction.

Cheers

Fuzzy :)
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Agent Brown

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:41:12 AM »
You do realise this thread is 3 years old? Why on earth dig it up now? And yes I realise I'm just as guilty for keeping it going but he started it.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 01:19:45 PM »
You do realise this thread is 3 years old? Why on earth dig it up now? And yes I realise I'm just as guilty for keeping it going but he started it.

We can't help it; we're all a-twitter with the approaching Compendium. Oooo, that sounds ominous, doesn't it?

What's the morale check against an approaching Compendium?

But you won't see me stretching this thread...

D'oh!

Doug

PS Does Ace even live here anymore? ;->=

Edit: Never mind. "Last Active:    April 26, 2011, 07:48:23 AM"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 02:25:00 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »

Presumably as Buck is co-author, he's interested in whether or not people like his rules  ;)