Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: So It's a New Camera  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
So It's a New Camera
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:11:05 AM »
I'd finally grown used to my old camera.
It was just about the size of a brick, and didn't muck about with any of those USB cables, or thumbnail memory chips.  It had a 3.5 inch floppy drive inside. It made transfer to a PC, it was purchased back when memory chips required the instalation of complex emulator software, very simple.
But now it's dead.  Not so much the camera, but the battery.
One of the Bengalis suggested that I might be able to buy a replacement battery on eBay.  That's what he did.  From China.  But he had to buy 3 or 4 before once came through that wasn't just a paper weight.
So now I have a new camera.  And I'm forced to start all over again on learning how to take photos of 'Little Lead Dollies.'
And so it begins.

A Foundry Zulu War British officer, painted as a French officer of Colonial Marines, and a Matchbox (I think) limosine, still in progress, and a movie camera.  Which we've actually used in two scenarios by the way.  The camera, not the limosine.

A Chinese command stand, for a set of Colonial rules as yet unfinished.

Some Foundry ACW Zouaves, converted into French Zouaves.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:17:30 AM by Major Weenie »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Re: So It's a New Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 01:13:37 PM »
Quite the learning curve, isn't it! I still wasn't used to my old SLR and now, I have a digital one to figure out.  With a 100 page instruction manual!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »
But what make/model camera do you know have?

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:14:48 AM »
The 'new' camera is a

"Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Digital ELPH"

Oh, and it's a sort of rust/burgundy color.  It's apparently a very popular camera with teenage girls, because the floor model was hot pink.  But that color was all sold out.  So I had to settle for the more sedate version.

The salesman kept asking, "So you want it in hot pink sir?"  And I kept saying, "Not Really.  Does it come in any other color?"  And he kept saying, "Hot pink it is!"

He really seemed crushed when it developed that because of inventory limitations he wasn't going to be able to force the Girlie-Cam-9000 on me.

Offline mjkerner

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »
Hey Dow,

I'm new here but I just want to say that I love your stuff, as well as your obviuos enthusiasm.  Keep the pictures coming!  :D

Mark

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
I'm still using the Sony Maciva with the floppy and I like the ease of loading pictures on to my computer, but alas I know the day will come that I too will have to switch to another camera, and then I'll probably have to up grade my computer to download the pictures.. Great pictures by the way :)

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »
Sony Mavica = BINGO!
That was the original/old camera that I replaced.  At the time I purchased it there wasn't really much of an option for serial cables. Most of the image transfer was done through 'memory chips' that you had to slip into a 'floppy disk thing' which went into the A: drive.  Then you had to load emulator software, what it was actually emulating I never knew.  It all used up lots of space, and ran very slow.
So I bought the Mavica.
Well, the battery went dead.  A friend, and fellow Bengali, recommended a couple of locations selling Chinese/immatation batteries with the promise that, "They were so cheap that even though the first couple would be useless frauds, eventually I'd find one that would work, andwould still be ahead of the game.  Price wise."
Instead I decided on buying the new camera.  As may be inferred from the precipitous drop off in photos submitted, I still don't have the hang of the new camera yet.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 06:19:43 AM »
I've got the Canon SD1000 - the direct ancestor of your new toy - and it's a very nice littel camera, all around. Enough settings and fiddly bits to give some control when needed, but fairly intelligent in automatic mode too...

Digicams with actual floppy drives onboard? Good lord... did they use semaphore flags to transmit data, too?  lol