Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:25:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395649 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I imagine they'll be very popular for anything with lots of texture, like furry skaven and such. Convenience sells, there's no doubt about it. There's no point telling people they can simply mix their own colours with a glaze medium, if they're happy to pay a couple of quid extra to have it ready to use in a pot. It's a broad church and saving time is an attractive prospect.

Yes, exactly. And there's also the question of consistency. Homebrewed mixes can be terrific (those cream tones you use on orc tusks, for example), but it's great to be able to splash on a colour and know that it'll be exactly what you want. That's why the 30-odd colours in this range makes sense. I've been mixing them quite a bit too, but if you're painting uniformed soldiers rather than monstrous rabble, consistency becomes more important.

I've found that the new paints work well on cloth as well as rougher textures. That's actually more of an advantage for me (I can always drybrush the rough stuff), as I'd rather paint faces, fangs and shields than robes!

Beefcake: I've found that drybrushing white over the new bone spray doesn't make much difference, as it's so close to white to begin with (and so opaque: I'd be more inclined to drybrush Vallejo white over Corax white). But I think it would work well over a slightly darker colour. The contrast paints worked fine over my white/Agrax/white-drybrush stuff like that griffiny demon above; the only slight downside is that the yellow might be a bit darker/duller over the Agrax recesses.

I'm going to get cracking on some Grenadier lizardmen shortly ...

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I was meaning a different bone spray like army painter. I don't know how they comparr

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I was meaning a different bone spray like army painter. I don't know how they comparr

Yup - got that. I think the effect would be roughly similar to my preshading on that griffiny thing. It might make some of the lighter colours a bit darker, but should be fine overall; after all, the Army Painter bone recesses will be lighter than the Agrax-y ones on that miniature.

The Wraithbone spray is very light: more of an off-white than anything else. So I would drybrush a darker colour in white.

Offline andyskinner

• Bookworm
These four took me less than an hour and a half with contrast paints. They're no great shakes - but they're done, and they give me a new RPG encounter (that the kids haven't seen).

I did the metals very quickly first, then washed all the rest of the models in Skeleton Horde, so that subsequent colours were dulled by that. I really liked the look of them in pure Skeleton Horde - almost tempted to do an entirely bone-coloured warband that way (clothes and all - a bit like chess pieces).

Let me check about the order, since I'm thinking of doing some undead with grimy, dulled colors.  I think I heard that you primed, did metals, washed the whole thing with Skeleton Horde (this is a contrast paint, right?) then did the reds?  Was the red a contrast paint?  Did you need to wash over it, or did the dirty layer give enough dulling on the red?

thanks
andy

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Let me check about the order, since I'm thinking of doing some undead with grimy, dulled colors.  I think I heard that you primed, did metals, washed the whole thing with Skeleton Horde (this is a contrast paint, right?) then did the reds?  Was the red a contrast paint?  Did you need to wash over it, or did the dirty layer give enough dulling on the red?

Yes: I spray-primed the figures with the new Wraithbone primer (but white would be fine too - there's not that much of a difference). Then I painted the metals in Vallejo natural steel, coated them in GW's Typhus Corrosion and drybrushed them with Riyza Rust (or whatever that GW rust-effect paint is called).

After the metals were done, I covered all the rest of the figures in Skeleton Horde (the bone contrast paint) - but not the metals. Then I used various contrast paints for the non-bone areas: Snakebite Leather for the boots and straps and whatnot, Wyldwood for weapon hafts, and Blood Angels Red and Plaguebearer Green for the clothes. One thing: I added a dab of brown (Snakebite or Wyldwood - can't remember which) to both the red and the green, to dull them down a bit. So they were darkened by both the Skeleton Horde underneath and by the admixture of brown. The contrast paints mix very well with each other, and they stay wet on the pallet for a reasonable time, so it's easy to do this.

After that, I picked out some scratches and edges on the metals with silver (very quickly and roughly).

With the Skaven, I added a layer of Skeleton Horde over the reds and greens to bring the brightness down a bit.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a giant, blind, albino penguin for my son's Mountains of Madness project. It's a Hobbycraft papier-mache penguin with added beak, claws and folds (some Milliput and a cocktail stick last night; paint slapped on this morning):

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Someone's been reading their 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'!

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Someone's been reading their 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'!

Actually, no - neither of us have read any of it. But, from a brief Google, I think Alan Moore has been reading At the Mountains of Madness!

He ran the game yesterday - it seemed to go well.

Here are some miniatures I'm sending to our friends' kids. I did the beastman with the halberd ages ago; he was going to be a giant or god in 10mm at one stage. The others were done very quickly with contrast paints, although the orc with the sword was already part-painted normally and is a bit rougher as a result. Quite pleased with the way the first one came out, though!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more contrast-paintin')
« Reply #1898 on: June 24, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »
It's just that in one of the LoEG books, Nemo's daughter goes on an expedition to the South Pole (pursued by various nefarious types) and they run into big herds of them - and they look exactly like your model!

Tekeli-li!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1899 on: June 25, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
latest contrast paint-jobs look good - I was going to enthuse about the beastman with halberd until I read your post properly ...

I'm testing out quite a number of them - seem very mixed in results. A few 'do' what the hype claims pretty much, in terms of giving a one coat paint and shade (on white).
quite a few (I'm looking at you, purples) seem to need an appropriate base coat of the same colour in a lighter tone, and seem little better than washes and inks already available.
I can't see wraithbone and grey seer being effective all-purpose pre-shades for me. White works with a fair number of the paints to my eye.

But it's nice having all these shades offered in the one range - it's focused me on this approach once more (I had a period of doing my own homebrew inks and washes) and may work generally - so thanks again Hobgoblin for posting your results, and look forward to seeing more.

* - 'you' not 'your' purples - sorry for any confusion!

the last beastman is particularly good - that's all contrast paints I take it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:35:44 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1900 on: June 27, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »
Yes, that last one's all contrast except the metals.

Cubs - I must investigate. I loosely modelled my penguin on the one mocked up for Guillermo Del Toro's abortive adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness (loosely being as much as the papier-mache maquette would allow!):

Here are a few more contrast-painted bits and bobs, plus an old orc I finished off with contrast paints (they're very useful for tackling half-finished/lost-interest models). These ones are being dispatched to our friends' kids today with another twenty or so.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
well, those all look fab to me - asking a lot - but if you can supply any further details about those paint jobs (colours, coats, medium?) etc, I'd be mighty grateful.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks - and sure!

The chaos warrior was sprayed Wraithbone. I painted the metals in Vallejo Natural Steel and Vallejo Bronze, then used contrast paints (Blood Angels Red and Wychwood) on the rest. The axe grip got a coat of Snakebite Leather over the Wychwood. Then the metals got a wash of Agrax Earthshade and highlights in silver and gold. That was it. All paints were straight from the pot.

The lizardmen were coated in Plaguebearer Green and then got a coat of Skeleton Horde over that. Their undersides and teeth were straight Skeleton Horde, with the latter highlighted in white. Loincloths were Blood Angels Red, and the weapons were bronze/Agrax/gold.

The orc was largely painted much earlier using thinned paint over Agrax preshading and white drybrushing. But I did use a mix of Blood Angels Red and Snakebite Leather over his tunic and Snakebite Leather over his boots.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1903 on: June 27, 2019, 06:10:48 PM »
Cubs - I must investigate. I loosely modelled my penguin on the one mocked up for Guillermo Del Toro's abortive adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness (loosely being as much as the papier-mache maquette would allow!):

That is truly foul.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks - and sure!

thanks so much Hobgoblin - great reference.