Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:38:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 403465 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

Nice!  What's your recipe for speed painting his armour plates?  There's a good amount of shine which I like the look of.

It's very simple: undercoat in black gesso, painted in Vallejo Natural Steel, washed in GW Drakenhof Nightshade and then roughly highlighted in Vallejo Silver.

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks!  May I also ask how you apply your silver as a highlight?  I have vallejo silver (dropper bottle) and it's pretty gunky but also does not thin well with water.  As a result I usually glob on too thick.  Your highlights look nice and subtle and thin.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I just thin it with a very little water - maybe just a wet brush mixed in with what's on the wet palette. If you don't use a wet palette, you could give that a go; I think it helps with this sort of paint. I just folded a sponge into a plastic tub, soaked the sponge and used some baking paper over that. You have to refresh paper and water every so often, but it keeps the paints nice and damp.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a Prince August orc I acquired from Mason (many thanks again!). I've always liked the simplicity of the Prince August miniatures - especially the orcs, hobgoblins and goblins (perfect for Alan Garner's svarts, I think). As a kid, I had the mould for the orc archer; the products were fielded as goblin archers in Warhammer, in very large numbers. I'm going to have a delve in the lead mountain to see if there are any sufficiently intact to repaint.

I seem to recall that Prince August used to sell cast miniatures as well as moulds - and that the shop-bought ones were always a good bit sharper than the ones you cast yourself. I suspect this guy is in the pre-cast category. Anyway, he's inspired me to dig out the dozen or so Mithril orcs I have (by the same designer, I think), to get a little warband painted up.

These guys are good for D&D, etc., because they have a suitably one-hit-die look next to human adventurers.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
We all know the feeling, when you've got a wicked itch right between the shoulder blades and you've only got a morning star to scratch it with. Ah, that takes me back. There was a joy to Prince August mins, that thrill of finding the 1-in-4 that was perfect! 

I really like the aesthetic of this Orc, it's just the pose that looks a little unusual. Great as an individual amongst others, but if I'd cast up a few dozen as a unit I'd be worrying they looked like a yoga class. Another fine addition to your collection of lovelies.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Severian

• Scientist
He's rather well done, isn't he. Very effective colours.

I think it's exactly right to say that they work well as odd figures but are weird in units. This was probably also true in 1985, but then I didn't care. It was enough of a triumph to have got a dozen wood elf archers with complete bows to worry about their strange hats and elbows... Still have all the moulds, mind you; a couple of years ago I even cast up a pair of French Napoleonic guns & crews to go with a brigade of old minifigs I was repainting. The smell of superheated talc from the drop moulds brought it all back...

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks for the tips with silver.

Very nice orc.  It is an inspiration seeing your work with older models and sad because it seems a lot of them are out of reach unless they are in an old lead pile.

I find myself looking for simpler sculpts with characterful faces because you've shown here how much life the face can bring to a model. Too many straps, chains, and knick knacks on a model just freeze my brain lol

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
ladle flashback -  o_o 

figure looks fine.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

I really like the aesthetic of this Orc, it's just the pose that looks a little unusual. Great as an individual amongst others, but if I'd cast up a few dozen as a unit I'd be worrying they looked like a yoga class.

Yes, it's a shame that the right arm isn't a separate piece. It would work well angled forward - and with the mace swapped out for a spear.

It is an inspiration seeing your work with older models and sad because it seems a lot of them are out of reach unless they are in an old lead pile.

It's amazing, though, how much of the old stuff is still 'in print' - whether it's Grenadier through Mirliton, Ral Partha through RPE or Iron Wind, or Rieder through Alternative Armies. The Prince August moulds are still going strong - something that amazed me! I'd buy up the orc moulds in an instant were it not for the domestic disharmony that I fear would result!

Here are the quickest miniatures I've ever painted (and it shows!). Lots of excitement with ghouls in Saturday's D&D game led to me basing up these GW "goblins" at 10 last night. I slapped on the base colours late last night then tided them up (a bit) this morning in time for an early-afternoon debut in today's session. I'm going to tidy them up properly, but they caused a few squeals when they appeared behind the party. We're using a flexible phone tripod to stream the tabletop, and it took a moment or two until the party (both in the room and remote) noticed that the ghouls were behind them!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Those are absolutely awesome. I want those goblins for ghouls too and I think you may have just tipped me over the edge into purchasing them finally (although I doubt I'll be able to source any at the moment). They look a lot better than a quick PJ. Great to see you are still managing to game via distance too!

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
The ghouls look brilliant!
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks for tipping me to a few websites!  I'll have to place some orders.  Maybe more for creatures, goblinoids and such as they look fine with size variances.  I dont have a firm grasp of how the older stuff scales to what I already own but I suspect its smaller.

Also great ghouls! Makes me regret not pulling the trigger on the Escape from Goblin Town set a while back. 

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Top work on the ghouls!

What colour did you use for the flesh? I've a couple of ghouls lined up for painting and am mulling over colours.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

What colour did you use for the flesh? I've a couple of ghouls lined up for painting and am mulling over colours.

I undercoated them in black gesso, swabbed them with Vallejo silver-grey and then washed them with a mix of Athonian Camoshade and Drakenhof Nightshade. Then I roughly highlighted them with thinned silver-grey. The snouts/mouthparts and hands got a wash in heavily thinned red contrast paint (the deeper red of the two, whatever it's called).

Maybe more for creatures, goblinoids and such as they look fine with size variances.  I dont have a firm grasp of how the older stuff scales to what I already own but I suspect its smaller.

It's odd - even some of the very early stuff (I've been painting goblins from the 1970s!) scales well with modern stuff. But yes, creatures are definitely safer than humans - although a lot of older fantasy humans scale fine with modern historicals.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
I undercoated them in black gesso, swabbed them with Vallejo silver-grey and then washed them with a mix of Athonian Camoshade and Drakenhof Nightshade. Then I roughly highlighted them with thinned silver-grey. The snouts/mouthparts and hands got a wash in heavily thinned red contrast paint (the deeper red of the two, whatever it's called).

Excellent, thanks.