Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:00:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696171
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 414776 times)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more 10mm progress)
« Reply #945 on: June 15, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
More great work here. Those copplestone 10s are splendidly done; and I particularly like the Four A lizard a few posts earlier.

Lots of food for thought, too, re repurposing of scales. I've got scads of 28s, but frankly at the moment not enough space to play much with them beyond skirmishes. But a good many of them (red box goblins and so on) could easily make the leap into 15s, I reckon.

However I don't at the moment have that many actual 15s (I think, although one can never be wholly sure) aside from some copplestone barbarians, and I really don't need to start buying more stuff, not in quantity anyway. But the tip to use 15s for RPGs sounds a good one - I'd always presumed RPG characters just had to be 28s (because, well, they always had been, apart from 15s for Traveller obviously...).

Decisions, decisions....

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #946 on: June 15, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
More great work here. Those copplestone 10s are splendidly done; and I particularly like the Four A lizard a few posts earlier.

Thanks! I must finish off the other four; just the bases to do, really.

Lots of food for thought, too, re repurposing of scales. I've got scads of 28s, but frankly at the moment not enough space to play much with them beyond skirmishes. But a good many of them (red box goblins and so on) could easily make the leap into 15s, I reckon.

Those Red Box goblins would make terrific 15mm trolls, I imagine. As I often say in this thread, I find the question of why some 28s work as big 15mm monsters and some don't quite fascinating. There are various factors, I reckon, some of them contradictory. For instance, those with big weapons can look good if those weapons look relatively heavy. But those with relatively small weapons can look good too, if the weapons can be read as tiny in their oversized hands. And so on.

However I don't at the moment have that many actual 15s (I think, although one can never be wholly sure) aside from some copplestone barbarians, and I really don't need to start buying more stuff, not in quantity anyway. But the tip to use 15s for RPGs sounds a good one - I'd always presumed RPG characters just had to be 28s (because, well, they always had been, apart from 15s for Traveller obviously...).

Decisions, decisions....

Funnily enough, I'm planning to use many of my old Traveller 15s in the RPG campaign I'm preparing at the moment. It's going to be a megadungeony cavern affair, but I want to include buried spaceships, robots and weird underground creatures that might be aliens, as well as goblins and trolls and so on. I like the idea of the PCs obtaining powerful energy weapons now and then, but which have only a few shots left. It chimes with both old-school D&D and early Warhammer (the Amazons and the Slann and so on).

One thing I will say for 28s: they're great for SOBH-style skirmishes, for which you only need three feet square. And ditto for HotT, where you can get a great-looking game on the same size of table (or a big game on 6' x 3', e..g a dinner table).

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #947 on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
 :-*
Fantastic painting and collection!
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #948 on: June 15, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
IMO 15s excel at two points, which at least for me are decisive:
1. They still do allow you to recognise individuals and are therefore very well for character drived
tabletop and role playing games.
2. Terrain is much cheaper and looks better with 15s than with 28mm. And this allows you to build a decent tabletop without renting a gym. :)

That said, I do love 10mms for exactly what you stated. They do give a real "mass" feeling, especially when based on blocks.
They are not necessarily less expensive, but allow you to finish huge masses of troops in decent times and believe it or not, they are detailled enough, that you can even play warhammer with them! :)

If I'd not had an existing 28mm collection I really would have been tempted to do everything in 15mm and 10mm - with my current projects I am doing Zulu War in 10mm as it will allow me to field sensible numbers of Zulus without the entire table being full of them.

I think when I started wargaming the 15mm ranges around were not all that great - you had Peter Laing and Minifig's original ranges I think and not much else. The release of the Laserburn range really did turn me onto it as a scale. 

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #949 on: June 18, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
:-*
Fantastic painting and collection!

Thanks!

Hummster - the Laserburn miniatures are fantastic. I've got a few left over from my misspent youth, but am eyeing up some more for a 15mm Whitehack campaign with strong science-fantasy elements.

Here are a couple of Eureka 10mm lizardmen. Not sure how many I'll fit to a 20 x 40 base. They might go into two cramped ranks of four or three wider ranks of six, but I might array them in a more unruly fashion.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (10mm lizardmen)
« Reply #950 on: June 18, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »
And a 10mm warg chief.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (10mm lizardmen and warg)
« Reply #951 on: June 18, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »
It amazes me how WONDERFULLY your tiny miniatures paint up. VERY WELL DONE, one & all!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (10mm lizardmen and warg)
« Reply #952 on: June 18, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
Thanks, DeafNala! Their small size makes the painting process pleasantly mechanical.

That said, I think the wolf and wolfriders might actually span the 10mm/15mm divide. The wolf is certainly a good size to work in 15mm RPGs, and the wolfriders might well work OK in 15mm Dragon Rampant - as small, hobbit-sized orcs.

Here are three more - shortly to be based:

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's the first stand of lizardmen - pre-basing.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #954 on: June 19, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »
Hummster - the Laserburn miniatures are fantastic. I've got a few left over from my misspent youth, but am eyeing up some more for a 15mm Whitehack campaign with strong science-fantasy elements.

Here are a couple of Eureka 10mm lizardmen. Not sure how many I'll fit to a 20 x 40 base. They might go into two cramped ranks of four or three wider ranks of six, but I might array them in a more unruly fashion.

Alternative Armies have a good mail order service and when I revisit my old and not very well painted Laserburn figures I suspect I'll order some more stuff. They have moved the vehicles into resin rather than metal but that has meant the cost has been kept down.

The Eureka 10mm look like they are well sculpted for getting a good result with the painting. I like how yours are coming out.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

The first few stands are now finished:

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a full-frontal shot of the nascent force(s).

The wolfriders form one Mayhem unit, but are still a stand short for Warmaster. They'll see service in 15mm Dragon Rampant too, eventually, but I'm planning to have six stands done for that, with the six stands counting as a unit of lesser war beasts. I compared the wolfriders with a 15mm lizardman last night, and they're certainly big enough for small goblins in 15mm: I think the wolfriders are a bit bigger than the foot orcs, so as very large 10mm goblins, they're appropriate as smallish 15mm orcs.

I could also see the lizardmen featuring in 15mm games, as some sort of diminutive reptilians. Again, I'll probably use either six or twelve stands for a unit.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a second strip of orcish infantry - to be based up with the first shortly.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more 10mm orcs)
« Reply #958 on: June 21, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »
Oh those Orcs are amazing. You even painted a little eye on the shields. Really, really nice!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more 10mm orcs)
« Reply #959 on: June 26, 2017, 08:21:24 PM »
Thanks!

Here's the first orcish infantry element: