Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 414952 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (WIP black-orc experiments)
« Reply #1065 on: August 24, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
Thanks!

It's a bit too early to tell. The eyes and teeth certainly stand out, which is what I want. And it does make the process very quick!

I'm trying it for a few reasons. First, I found Spooktalker's post very interesting - it's hard to believe that he hasn't highlighted the face. Second, I'm keen to try some quite "retro" paintjobs - especially if they're also quick and distinctive. And third, I have a lot of rather crude old figures kicking around that might be better served (and unified) by this sort of scheme. One example is this Gremlin orc warlord (a blatant rip-off of Aly Morrison's Baron Brightgore hobgoblin):

I'm not sure that diligently highlighting that figure's flesh would improve it - a jet-black hide might obscure the crudeness somewhat and allow a focus on what matters: jutting fangs, a red mouth and glowing eyes. I've been experimenting on the Grenadier orcs for the same reason. Although Nick Lund did these after he left Citadel, they're not nearly as good as his slottabase Citadel black orcs: the faces and limbs of the Grenadier lot are much rougher, with wild concavities and irregular features. And yet they have a certain something (as nearly all of Nick Lund's stuff does). So I'm hoping that the "flat" black paint will hide the roughness and also free up the time spent on each figure for shields and the like.

From what I can tell so far, the black does "highlight itself" fairly decently. I hope a suitably retro coat of gloss varnish will enhance the effect!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (WIP black-orc experiments)
« Reply #1066 on: August 25, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
Here's a 15mm lizardman. It'll represent my son's PC in the forthcoming D&D game. He painted most of it, to the extent shown in the first photo. I then finished it off at his request.

I also did a little more on the unhighlighted black orcs. This close-up spares you much of the unfinished stuff, but isn't very flattering. But I think it does show how pure black "adds its own highlights". The effect I'm going for is along these lines:

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Both look great - your son did a grand job. I visited that blogpost about the black and it's so effective! It's worked really well on yours too. I wonder if you could enhance/change the effect by giving them a super matte coat, then 'highlighting' with a satin varnish. I want to paint some black armoured minis soon, might try it!

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
I have been enjoying this thread for a while.  I reckon the unhighlighted black works very well.

(I wish there was more Bakshi LOTR)
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

I wonder if you could enhance/change the effect by giving them a super matte coat, then 'highlighting' with a satin varnish. I want to paint some black armoured minis soon, might try it!

Good idea! I have no truck with matt varnish, though, (except on the penny bases of my 15s). It's old-fashioned gloss all the way. But I'm sure satin "highlights" would work well - especially on armour.

(I wish there was more Bakshi LOTR)

Yes, there's a weird visionary quality about the best bits of that film: the opening sequence, the Black riders and the orcs in particular. I'm actually thinking of using these orcs in Crom, as generic servants of evil.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
The black orc looks great, takes it on a different way all together, I really like the way it looks may try this myself!! :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! I've been making progress with five of the jet-black orcs. The "highlights itself" property that Spooktalker identified is really prominent in painting - I keep having to check that I haven't inadvertently gotten lighter-coloured paint on a raised area. I'm going to try the technique out on some 15s later today.

Of course, 15mm is what I should be doing, with a week to go to the big D&D game. This morning, I got another four goblins finished. That takes the tribe to an outsized king, some brats, a wolfrider, two hobgoblin guards and 12 vicious goblins. Here are the 12 in one of the movement trays I picked up at Claymore. These chaps will form a unit of light infantry in Dragon Rampant. I plan to add some texture to the tray and add some bits of greenery to it, so that the overall scheme is similar to that for my 28s and 10s, but the individual bases will remain dull and dirty for dungeon-delving.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with more 15mm goblins)
« Reply #1072 on: August 27, 2017, 07:32:56 PM »
And here are some of the adventurers that will be going up against them. I've repurposed this Denizen 25mm goblin as a 15mm half-ogre. He's got a nice "gentle giant" look, I think.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here are a couple of Alternative Armies 15mm orcs (from their "orc command" pack). I'm experimenting with "Spooktalker black" - i.e. no highlights - at this scale too. I'm not sure yet whether to leave them in a Bakshi state or to add a few highlights to the noses and cheekbones.

These figures are somewhat strange. They're clearly made a different sculptor from whoever sculpted most of the AA orcs, and they're much cruder. But they do have rather nicely modelled heads. The rest of them is pretty rough, though. But I very much like the guardsman with the polearm.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
They look very nice, AA make a lot of decent figures, though not their best work still very decent figures. Liking the black skin, really works well. :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
The polearm orc is indeed a very nice pose. Reminds me of Angus McBride's Tolkien pictures (or someone else I confuse with Mr McBride).
The Bakshi style painting of the orcs is genius and I might just steal it...:)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! The method is Spooktalker's (although I suppose I did paint my orcs flat back - with enamels -  when I was nine ...).

Here's a 15mm carrion crawler for this weekend's D&D game. It's a great little model from Alternative Armies' Sengoku range: the Greater Centipede Demon.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (15mm carrion crawler )
« Reply #1077 on: August 29, 2017, 03:20:46 PM »
And here's a three-armed necromancer - actually an old Asgard trimote from Alternative Armies.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And a worm man. This chap's going to be a helpful NPC who will sell information for gold (which he then devours with relish).

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (with 15mm dungeon dwellers )
« Reply #1079 on: August 29, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »
The worm dude is an incredible miniature! Who makes "him"?