Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:50:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696174
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (undead warband for Mordheim)  (Read 414801 times)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (hobgoblin & 15mm Asgard troll)
« Reply #1185 on: October 16, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
Yes, these are properly nice - and I'd echo the praise for the hobgoblin's face.

And well done on keeping things moving, notwithstanding work and all that. I have a pile of things more or less finished but somehow getting even ropey photographs taken and posted seems beyond me...

How is the 15mm HOTT army coming along?

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (hobgoblin & 15mm Asgard troll)
« Reply #1186 on: October 16, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »
Cool, I never knew Asgard did 15mm stuff.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1187 on: October 17, 2017, 01:53:37 PM »
Cool, I never knew Asgard did 15mm stuff.

Quite a bit of their 15mm range is sold by Alternative Armies. In the case of the dwarves, they match the 28mm range figure for figure.

These "large goblins" were part of the Asgard range, I think:

And this orc too - though he's mounted on a Ral Partha wolf here, not the original dragon:

Actually, I'm presuming that the troll is by Asgard. But I suppose it might have been a copy of the 28mm one by another company. That said, although Alternative Armies produce one 15mm troll from the TTG/Asgard line, there appear originally to have been two, in two different ranges. I'd guess that the one I have is F31 from this range.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1188 on: October 17, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »
Yes, these are properly nice - and I'd echo the praise for the hobgoblin's face.

And well done on keeping things moving, notwithstanding work and all that. I have a pile of things more or less finished but somehow getting even ropey photographs taken and posted seems beyond me...

How is the 15mm HOTT army coming along?

Thanks!

The HOTT army is progressing, in that I have the other two behemoths just about there (eyes, teeth and a flaming sword to do). I'm not sure if I'll use all three, but as they make up half an army (and one can be the general), they're a good insurance policy. Once they're done, I could paint five more Copplestone trolls (which I started ages ago) and be done, as I already have one painted. That would give me three behemoths and six warbands for 24 AP. But ideally, I'd like to go with one or two behemoths, lots of hordes, some warbands and maybe some shooters or beasts. If only the children didn't want to go to their Halloween parties dressed as Cthulhu and a Deep One (work is underway ...).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1189 on: October 19, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »
Here are the first of some 15mm Harook, which I bought from jimboba on eBay. They may need some touching up in the cold light of day ...

These fellows will end up as D&D/Whitehack villains at some point, but I also have designs on them as Dragon Rampant scouts (with venomous missiles) and as an infantry unit in Alien Squad Leader. I've never played the latter, but have long been intrigued and got hold of the free basic third-edition rules yesterday. From what I can surmise, an element (on 50 x 50mm) has three hits, so three figures in sabots would work fine; I'm trying to source suitable sabots at the moment (and they'd help in DR too).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with 15mm Harook)
« Reply #1190 on: October 19, 2017, 04:49:51 AM »
Love the face with all the stubble on that guy. Really well done.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1191 on: October 19, 2017, 11:00:00 AM »
Here are the first of some 15mm Harook, which I bought from jimboba on eBay. They may need some touching up in the cold light of day ...

These fellows will end up as D&D/Whitehack villains at some point, but I also have designs on them as Dragon Rampant scouts (with venomous missiles) and as an infantry unit in Alien Squad Leader. I've never played the latter, but have long been intrigued and got hold of the free basic third-edition rules yesterday. From what I can surmise, an element (on 50 x 50mm) has three hits, so three figures in sabots would work fine; I'm trying to source suitable sabots at the moment (and they'd help in DR too).

Where did you find ASQL 3.0?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1192 on: October 19, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
If you join the Yahoo group, the author has put the beta version (with just one army list) in the documents folder. I think he'd put some other army lists up too, in prototype form.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #1193 on: October 19, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
Love the Harook - great minis I keep meaning to get hold of.

If you like ASQL have a look at the new Nordic Weasel game Squad Hammer - http://www.wargamevault.com/product/222978/Squad-Hammer-Dirt-simple-gaming-for-many-settingsor-all-of-them?src=hottest - it's a really simple, versatile system that would work well for sabot based minis or singles (or a mix). I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with it.

By the way, the most recent Hobgoblin is great too. It might be unworkable, but a polearm and shield really does scream 'guard' so well.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #1194 on: October 19, 2017, 04:59:20 PM »
Nice work! Glad you've managed to paint some things amidst all the Cthulhoid tailoring... I'm gearing up for half-term hobby activities as we speak....

Have you looked at Supreme Littleness Designs?

http://www.supremelittleness.co.uk/sld-bases/sld-bases.htm

He does a good range of sabots of one sort or another; not sure if he has exactly the type you want, but I daresay a custom order would be straightforward.

Alternatively Warbases (as I'm sure you know) do a good range of separate single top layer bases (for 1p, 2p, 25mm rounds &c &c), which can be stuck in appropriate number and placement to whatever size base you like. You can then have fun with landscaping them with filler, rocks, all of that stuff; or a basic glue-and-sand job also works, I've found.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1195 on: October 19, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »
Thanks! If I reach the tailoring stages, I'll be doing well: so far, mere mask-making is in its early infancy!

I did look at both those sites (and have some Warbases movement trays). But productsforwargamers.com seems the best fit, in that they explicitly do trays to custom sizes. I've enquired about getting both three-slot and four-slot ones. I think that would allow a nice visual distinction between irregular and regular troops. It would also work well in Dragon Rampant, for which I'm also going to use the Warbases trays. I'd plan to use three four-slot trays for light and heavy infantry, so that they can be lined up in two ranks (i.e. all three four-slot trays side by side) to form walls of spears/shields. Meanwhile, scouts, bellicose foot and elite foot can use three-slot trays, to suggest looser formations and more individual fighting styles. I think that'll work quite well - and make movement really quick.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1196 on: October 19, 2017, 10:30:51 PM »
Love the Harook - great minis I keep meaning to get hold of.

If you like ASQL have a look at the new Nordic Weasel game Squad Hammer - http://www.wargamevault.com/product/222978/Squad-Hammer-Dirt-simple-gaming-for-many-settingsor-all-of-them?src=hottest - it's a really simple, versatile system that would work well for sabot based minis or singles (or a mix). I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with it.

Thanks! I'll take a look. I think a mix of multiple and single bases is pretty much the holy grail in gaming. It's a huge point in Dragon/Lion Rampant's favour, as you can get as much of your collection as you fancy on the table at the same time.

The other holy grail is "time to table" - the less of it the better. This looks a good bet for that.

By the way, the gorgon is well underway - just a few highlights and her eyes to do!

By the way, the most recent Hobgoblin is great too. It might be unworkable, but a polearm and shield really does scream 'guard' so well.

Cheers! Yes, that must be why they always look so grumpy: "Bloody bardiche! Doesn't even have a spike ...".

Offline Jimboba

• Assistant
  • Warchest
    • Root around in the Warchest
« Reply #1197 on: October 21, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »
Very glad these guys obviously went to a good home 😁

Great paint job and colour scheme.

Warbases are good for custom sabots too. Very accommodating. And in Scotland too 😜
Personal blog at http://www.warchest.co.uk/
Mostly about miniature painting and collecting, mostly 15mm non-historical, but then anything goes!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #1198 on: October 21, 2017, 07:11:58 PM »
can't wait to see the gorgon! What do you think of the FiB sculpts? I'd be interested to know what you think if you check out squad Hammer - I've been inspired by it in a way I haven't by rules sets in a long time.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1199 on: October 22, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »
Very glad these guys obviously went to a good home 😁

Great paint job and colour scheme.

Warbases are good for custom sabots too. Very accommodating. And in Scotland too 😜

Cheers!

I didn't know that Warbases were based (ahem!) in these parts. I bought some of their sabots at Claymore and really like them. The big advantage that the Wargames Products site has over Warbases and Supreme Littleness is that it's very up front about customisable sizes. (I've often looked at Warbases and wished they'd give dimensions for the various configurations they produce - or maybe they do and I've somehow just not spotted them!).