Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694511
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (ogre bodyguard for Mordheim)  (Read 411472 times)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more WIP pen experiments)
« Reply #2205 on: April 07, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »
All of them look pretty good to me - a very decent tabletop standard has been achieved. Thanks for sharing the details of these pens and what they are capable of.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2206 on: April 07, 2021, 07:24:35 PM »
I’m intrigued by this method. What shade is the primer coat you’re using the markers on? (Black? White?) If it’s straight over a black base, I’m amazed at how vivid the colours are.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2207 on: April 07, 2021, 08:16:34 PM »
I’m intrigued by this method. What shade is the primer coat you’re using the markers on? (Black? White?) If it’s straight over a black base, I’m amazed at how vivid the colours are.

It's Pebeo black gesso, and yes, it's straight over the undercoat. The colours are really strong, and the paint is sufficiently thin not to clog detail, which is what I've been most impressed by. That's why I'm going to be using a "mixed media" approach on a lot of 1/72: pens for the base colours, which is ludicrously quick, and then brushes for washes and details.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2208 on: April 07, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »
 Thanks for the info! It’s amazing to me that it covers so well, I think I’ll have to give them a try. A mixed media approach seems like a good way to get the best out of both the pens and the brushes!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2209 on: April 25, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »
I should have some more pen experiments to show shortly - have been having lots of fun producing some 'dungeonpunk' bright and cheerful miniatures.

Yesterday, we played a big game of Dragon Rampant in the garden with a new table. Great to have the 6' x 4' space at last! A combined force of two orcish tribes managed to send the forces of chaos packing.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Always good to see an outdoor game, especially in the UK!

Are they fighting for control of the hay bales?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Are they fighting for control of the hay bales?

Ha! Hay is hard to come by in the badlands!

They're supposed to be ruins, but they look a little bright and yellow in the sunshine! We had four armies of 38 points each, so we went fairly light on terrain - just two large areas of rough ground with cover for those inside and at the edges.

One thing that struck me about the new mat was that my unadventurous and unobtrusive 'dungeon' bases - burnt umber drybrushed with grey and then, very lightly, with white - actually fitted in pretty well, with the old green bases looking a bit more out of place. I'm gradually replacing the green slottabases with square 'dungeon' bases, at least for the miniatures that aren't actually slottabased, so this was pleasing to see.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Ooh, Close up of the lizard please…

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
This guy?

He's an old toy that my kids had when they were very little, repainted and based a few years back.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Excellent result! And I notice it has sharp teeth. Most of the cheaper toys I see nowadays hardly have seperate teeth, let alone sharp ones, so amongst other shortcomings they just don't seem to me to qualify for the job.
Leadhead

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
The Giant lizard has come off very successfully.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! I think he features on this thread a few years back. He's been a staple of our HotT and DR games since.

I knocked up some crude cardboard ruins over the weekend. I'm going to add a bit of detail - cracks and vines and whatnot - but they're coming together. Nuthin' fancy, but they'll do the job on the table.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (crude cardboard ruins)
« Reply #2217 on: May 02, 2021, 07:14:41 PM »
Those ruins should do the job! I did something similar last spring and used foam-core rather than cardboard. The idea was to keep them simple enough that they could be used for fantasy, sci-fi, or modern/ post-apoc ruined cities. Add some period-specific scatter bits and they click into place in the setting.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #2218 on: May 02, 2021, 07:53:46 PM »
Nice work on the ruins. I like cardboard for terrain as it is pretty easy to work with and can make a lot of different items.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2219 on: May 26, 2021, 09:13:18 AM »
Thanks, gents!

Here's a quick kitbashed beastman. We've been playing Brent Spivey's The Battlefield a bit recently (great game!), which has a category of "insurgents". I thought a chaos cult or something similar might fill that role nicely, so decided to knock together a few wretched beastmen. This fellow's the first. He might show up in our D&D campaign too: the party are currently in Hell ...