Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: This weeks progress 21st PD project  (Read 97323 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: 1/72 Peiper Vignette
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
Ooh, ooh, the nasty man made me think!

As I said, horses for courses and if you are prone to throwing around silly phrases like social justice points, it’s clear enough what sort of horse you back and which course you prefer.

Pity, you have quite some talent as a modeller/ painter. Sleep tight!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2019, 02:12:46 PM »
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:41:02 PM by Gunner Dunbar »

Online Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2019, 02:21:35 PM »
Ooh, ooh, the nasty man made me think!

As I said, horses for courses and if you are prone to throwing around silly phrases like social justice points, it’s clear enough what sort of horse you back and which course you prefer.

Pity, you have quite some talent as a modeller/ painter. Sleep tight!
Oh, and you will be happy to know, it turns out that picture is not of Peiper, it has apparently been mislabeled, I intend to make that vignette anyway as it was the scene and vehicle I wanted to re create, not necessarily Peiper.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:41:52 PM by Gunner Dunbar »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »

Wargaming… a can of worms indeed, I always have a though about peoples that suffered from war thru out history. Still, I enjoy the hobby… even if it imply "playing" around some of the darker aspects of humanity…

I don’t know of any nation or civilisation thru history that produced anything other than a mix of good and bad peoples…

...please just enjoy the hobby 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 02:10:35 PM »
There's something about the Schwimmwagen that I've always liked. Be nice to have one. But if I did I think I would paint it in swirling psychedelic colours like a 60s dune buggy. I think such a pattern would be so suited for the vehicle. We actually had hymn books with a cover design like that when I was in primary school. Jesus was right in the middle of his "groovy" phase back then, and I have kept that scheme in my mind ever since.

That is a famous photo, but I didn't know Peiper was one of those guys, I was quite interested to discover this fact. But now it turns out it wasn't him at all. Oh well.  :)

I visited Malmedy as a teenager, and it gave me the same kind of sobering chills you get when going to a concentration camp. So I can see where objections might come from (when I discovered what happened to Peiper I wasn't particularly upset about it), but making a model of something doesn't signify approval of the subject matter's outlook or actons. It isn't really the same thing as having a statue of them erected in front of your town hall. Beginning to wonder if it is time I removed the Confederate flags from my 1:600 scale ships. Lord knows, I don't want to upset anyone.

Edited for typos and generally not making any sense.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:43:23 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »

... but making a model of something doesn't signify approval of the subject matter's outlook or actons. It isn't really the same thing as having a statue of them erected in front of your town hall. Beginning to wonder if it is time I removed the Confederate flags from my 1:600 scale ships. Lord knows, I don't want to upset anyone.

You can leave the flags, but, please remove that satisfied grin on that blockade runner captain’ face… ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:15:08 PM by Calimero »

Online Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 09:42:48 PM »
There's something about the Schwimmwagen that I've always liked. Be nice to have one. But if I did I think I would paint it in swirling psychedelic colours like a 60s dune buggy. I think such a pattern would be so suited for the vehicle. We actually had hymn books with a cover design like that when I was in primary school. Jesus was right in the middle of his "groovy" phase back then, and I have kept that scheme in my mind ever since.

That is a famous photo, but I didn't know Peiper was one of those guys, I was quite interested to discover this fact. But now it turns out it wasn't him at all. Oh well.  :)

Mines not even a display model, it’s a character in a game, not even an important one, leading the troops around, just a patrol marker, I think it OK to have historical characters good or bad on a wargaming table, what if you had a game where you wanted to take out Hitler? Sorry you can make the model, he was a bad guy.
I visited Malmedy as a teenager, and it gave me the same kind of sobering chills you get when going to a concentration camp. So I can see where objections might come from (when I discovered what happened to Peiper I wasn't particularly upset about it), but making a model of something doesn't signify approval of the subject matter's outlook or actons. It isn't really the same thing as having a statue of them erected in front of your town hall. Beginning to wonder if it is time I removed the Confederate flags from my 1:600 scale ships. Lord knows, I don't want to upset anyone.

Edited for typos and generally not making any sense.

Online Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2019, 08:34:58 AM »
Hi guys

Have done some work on the Schwimmwagen vignette, still need to add some detail to the left seated figure, and some gear in the car, thinking of filling out the set o 3 CoC patrol recon markers with a Kettengrad and either a Kubel or a BMW sidecar.
More pics here
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2019/07/wip-schwimmwagen-vignette.html

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: WIP Schwimmwagen Vignette
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
Looking good Gunner. Gotta love a schwimmwagen. I'm waiting on the imminent release of the Rubicon 1/56 scale kit (Yes, apparently even the DAK used them in the Western Desert  ::) lol)

That's definitely not Peiper in the picture. Peiper was one of the Reich's foremost pin-up / poster boys - tall, handsome and immaculately styled. He was a bonafide battlefield commander of course (as well as a war criminal), and was right in the thick of it in the Ardennes. But I somehow doubt he'd ever have appeared quite as down, dirty and ratlike as the lower ranking SS men in that photo.

Online Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2019, 10:11:34 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your Schwimmwagen, yeah, only found out it wasn’t Peiper, I don’t really care , for me the vehicle is the centrepiece, and it was only ever going to be a patrol maker, I only play skirmish at 20mm and don’t need regimental commanders.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »

The phrase "That’s some bad hat, Harry…" would apply to that driver  ;D

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm Warlord Games SS, updated 29/05
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
Hi guys

Another batch of 28mm SS finish on commission, mostly Warlord figures, all comments welcome.
dan.dunbar@hotmail.com
More pics
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/06/another-batch-of-28mm-ss.html
My Prices
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/now-taking-commissions-gunners-painting.html

Ooh! Does anyone know what make the flamethrower carrying chap is?
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:38 PM »

With the mouth wide open... I'm guessing Warlords (Metal) lol

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »
Oh, and you will be happy to know, it turns out that picture is not of Peiper, it has apparently been mislabeled, I intend to make that vignette anyway as it was the scene and vehicle I wanted to re create, not necessarily Peiper.

I wouldn't pay mind to any niggling, unless it is constructive criticism. Right, carlos?

There's a book called "Battle of the Bulge: Then and Now" by Jean Paul Pallud in which he corrects people in assuming it is Peiper. In case you need to quote a source to silence any more niggling. It holds a few variations of the shot as well, if you need more perspectives. Do what you like with the model, there's enough people out there modelling Wehrmacht and SS, seemingly out of the equal fascination that some people collect crusaders, japanese or mass murdering space faring inquisition in smurf blue armour. Do what you like Dunbar.