Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686590
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This weeks progress 21st PD project  (Read 97331 times)

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: Another take on Germ MC recon
« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2022, 07:48:34 AM »
Thanks Gamer Mac

Hi guys

Did some more work on these 3 shelf queens, keep getting busy, but don’t want them to reclaim the shelf queen crown, the 7/1 just needs a little pastel chalk weathering and some flock on the base and I’ll call her done, the other 223 and 250/9 need bases, crew and some more weathering still.
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2022/11/wip-172-sdkfz-71-2509-223-part-4.html

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: WIP 1/72 Sd.Kfz 7/1, 250/9, 223, part 4
« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2022, 05:24:05 PM »
Loving this thread very inspiring work do keep 'em coming...

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: WIP 1/72 Sd.Kfz 7/1, 250/9, 223, part 4
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2022, 05:33:52 AM »
 Hi guys

I have very fond memories as a young child in the late 70s, staying over at my grandparents, they would let me watch my favourite TV show each night before bedtime, Hogans Hero’s, I haven’t watched the show since the 80s I’d think, but I remember Col Klink was always worried about being sent to the Easter front, and I have had a project buzzing around in the back of my mind for many years now of building a Luftwaffe field division army led by the hapless Col Klink and Sgt Schultz after 1 to many of Hogans hair brained schemes gets them in trouble and their fears are realised with a transfer to the Eastern front, but I had never found the right figures for the pare.

Recently I was perusing Simons Soldier for Germans to convert to WWII Hungarians, (great figures and service, no ties to Simons Soldier, just a very happy customer) I find the sculpting style to be very good for this particular conversion, and I can across Simons Volkssturm HQ pack, and spied a heavy set figure in a greatcoat, which would be a perfect start for a Sgt Schultz conversion, I’d need to give him a tunic and helmet, now to find a suitable Col Klink, a skinny officer, any ideas? I haven’t really checked my stash, but I will soon.
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2022/11/i-know-nutting.html

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: “I know nutting”
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2022, 07:03:28 AM »
Great idea for a project. You must let us know how they fight, if you ever have time to put them on the table between all the conversions and painting?.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: “I know nutting”
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2022, 09:08:30 AM »
Hi guys

I’ve got a few 1/72 WWII projects going at the moment, so why not add another? I have a Special Armour Steyr 1500 Ambulance that I want to add to one of AB miniatures casualty sets, to make it work I want to model the back open, I didn’t have any reference pics for the rear of this vehicle, so asked around and a couple of guys from the Braille scale modelling forum came through for me, so here she is so far. My only decision now is does it go with my KG Danl or Luftwaffe Field Division projects? I’m leaning towards the LW.
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2022/12/wip-172-steyr-1500-ambulance-part-1.html

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: WIP 1/72 Steyr 1500 Ambulance part 1
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2022, 11:03:01 AM »
Oh that's going to be nice. Looking forward to seeing this one.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 01:23:44 PM by Shahbahraz »

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2022, 12:34:54 PM »
Oh that's going to be mice. Looking forward to seeing this one.
Yes, the AB set is very nice, just had to do it as a little dio

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2022, 02:22:09 AM »
thats looking awesome
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #263 on: December 03, 2022, 03:28:48 AM »
 Hi guys

Here’s my attempt to give those who lack green stuff sculpting skills some ideas to do their own MC crews using parts of plastic figures.

First you will need the required amount of Italeri MC bikes, in this case 7 combos, each pack has 2, so 4 packs. Then you’ll need the required number of greatcoated donors, in this case 21 crew, however I am using ABs seated greatcoat troops for all the sidecar passengers, you could also convert plastic figures for this, so I need 14 plastic greatcoated torso, I scrounged my plastic stash and found the required Russian and German figures, these came from Italeri winter Germans, Winter Russians, and Pegasus Russians in greatcoats, it doesn’t matter the nationality as long as they are in a double breasted greatcoat.

Next I cut the figures into parts, heads, torsos, and the riders legs, and equipment, I have left the arms in place where possible, to give me the most options, as I build the figures I can remove any excess arms, metal figures could also be used for converting these riders, however plastic is much easier to carve, I will keep the greatcoat lower bodies, you never know when you’ll need some greatcoated legs.

The next stage is constructing the figures, I use a pin vice drill, paperclip wire and superglue to attach the parts, that’s it for part 1.
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2022/12/tutorial-german-sidecar-mcs-in.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: Tutorial : German Sidecar MCs in greatcoats part 1
« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2022, 10:52:41 AM »
Hi guys

A friend was struggling to build his Ace Kfz 15, so I helped him out, which has now turned into me building a group of vehicles for him, 3 x Kfz 15s, a Kfz 2, a Kfz 17, and 2 Pz I Sig33Bs, getting a good trade for it though, I’ll also build some kits for myself to paint in the batch, these will be for France 1940, Ace kits need a bit of research and work, there was a bit of flash to be cleaned up and you need to be careful with the placement of some parts, the front axle comes to mind, if placed in the area designed for it the wheels will be slightly to far forward, moving the about a mil to the rear fixes the problem, but with work they can produce nice vehicles and they are the only 1/72 Kfz 15 available in plastic kit form, I’m actually quite fond of them. Also converting a couple of S-Model Pz Is into Pz I Sig33Bs, I tried 3D printing the upper fighting compartment, but only using the side walls, using a couple of S-Model Sig33s fir the guns.
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2022/12/wip-172-german-early-war-group.html

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: WIP early war German group part 1
« Reply #265 on: December 05, 2022, 11:39:31 AM »
Depending on the level of detail you want, there are Pz1 Sigs available on Thingiverse in 1/100 that should scale up to 1/72 ok.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #266 on: December 05, 2022, 11:45:22 AM »
Yeah, I have printed a couple, here’s one in a pic with these 2 I’m making, the one at the back.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #267 on: December 06, 2022, 12:40:23 AM »
WOW! I'm really impressed! Lovely conversion work!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2022, 06:03:02 AM »
WOW! I'm really impressed! Lovely conversion work!
Thanks

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »
 Hi guys

I’m trying to make these troops with as little green stuff as I can for those who struggle with GS, however, it is inevitable that I will have to use some GS, the steps I have taken here are

1) added helmeted heads, cut from plastic figures, drilled a hole in the neck of both the head and body and glued a length of paper lip into the head with superglue, then glued into the body.

2) added the lower area of the rubberised greatcoat, it could be fastened around the legs like a jumpsuit, for making riding easier.

3) Added wire, then green stuff to some arms, if the arm is close to the body I just use GS without a wire.

4) added the raincoat flap across the back of the shoulders with GS.

5) added the leather strap for goggles around the helmet with thinly cut paper and superglue.

6) to the sidecar passengers I have added the rear raincoat flap and extended any missing legs that I cut of to make the figures fit in the sidecar.

At this stage you could continue with adding arms, and gear, then calling them done, I will however go on to bulk out the chest and collar with GS, because that is how I personally prefer the figs.

Using Green stuff - it’s other name is kneadatite, or blue/yellow 2 part epoxy resin putty, it comes in either a ribbon with the blue and yellow putty joined in the middle, or as 2 rolls 1 blue 1 yellow, I prefer the 2 rolls, as the ribbon sometimes hardened in the middle where the 2 colours join, between jobs keep the putty in a zip lock bag in your fridge, if it’s left out to long the yellow putty can develop a skin that is a pain because it causes lumps in your putty, when mixing I use 60% yellow and 40% blue, the reason is the more blue you add, the more stiff, and less sticky the putty is, it also hardens quicker, I like it to be very sticky at the start, and want a long working time.

I make a small ball of putty and stick it to my left thumbnail, this is my pallet, I then use a hobby knife with an old blunt blade (must have it’s pointy tip though) and I cut the amount of putty I need from the ball, I work on half a dozen figs at a time, and place a small amount of putty on the area of each figure where I’ll be working, I very quickly push the putty around to basically cover the area I’ll work, then move to the next figure, by the time I have used all the putty ball (I very really have wastage), I return to the first figure, the time it has been sitting has allowed the putty to adhere to the figure well, I use the hobby blade to push the putty around the area I’m working until it is the basic shape I want, to stop the putty from sticking to the blade I will often lick the blade to add moisture, you could also have a little cup of water to dip the blade in, I then use a wet finger to run over the area and smooth it out of finger prints etc, or a wet blade for areas to small for my fingers, I then either use the sharp end of the blade or a pin to add creases and wrinkles on the inside of the knees and elbows. At this stage the professionals use oil and brushes to smooth out the putty, I do not do this however, as it adds the step of thoroughly cleaning everything before commencing with the next area on the fig, an alternative is to use a brush and water, once you finish that area on those half dozen figs I move to the next batch of figures, and so on, buy the time I get back to the first batch, around 40min, the putty has dried enough to handle, I then start a new area on that first batch, I continue this until finished or I need to stop, the size of the are I’ll work on each time is usually a limb, or the front or back of the torso.
https://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com/2022/12/tutorial-german-mc-troops-in-greatcoats.html