Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:05:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry British Colonial Plastics  (Read 12565 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Perry British Colonial Plastics
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
I'm wondering if the sets will include Colour bearers? Be nice to have the Colours fluttering over yer Thin red Line as the Zulus come on.

>:D

I think the Anglo Zulu War was the last time colours were used on the battlefield so possibly in the Zulu War British set but not in the NWF set would be my guess. Of course flags of an altogether different type were still  used to make the CoC's position more noticeable.

Darrell.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Indeed, following the loss of colours at Maiwand and Isandlwana colours were no longer carried. So taking into account they were carried at Maiwand I would think it would be appropriate to include suchlike on a command sprue for the 2nd Afghan war.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »
Indeed, following the loss of colours at Maiwand and Isandlwana colours were no longer carried. So taking into account they were carried at Maiwand I would think it would be appropriate to include suchlike on a command sprue for the 2nd Afghan war.

Yeah, somehow Maiwand slipped through the cobwebs!!!  :o

Weird really as it's the battle that sticks out in the whole war [embarrassed smiley]

Darrell.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 10:40:01 AM »
Must admit if the fancy takes me, the 2nd. Malakand Field Force will carry their Regimental Colours with them, when they board the troopers for the Sudan.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Colours were carried during the Transvaal War. I believe the last time they were carried into action was at Laing's Nek in 1881. It was the effect of modern rifle fire on a colour party (picking up the colours at Laing's Nek was virtually a death sentence) that influenced the decision to end the practice, rather than the loss of colours to Zulus or Afghans previously (losing colours to the enemy was nothing new).

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
I've been waiting for plastic pathans ever since they did plastic mahdists.

I had a quick chat to Michael at Salute. He asked if I was interested in the British colonials, and I told him I certainly was, since I have a large NWF collection - including all the Afghan hill tribesmen figures the Perrys did for Foundry 20 years ago - still the best NWF figures on the market as far as I'm concerned, and some of the best Perry-sculpted figures ever, IMHO.

It was those figures, either on the front cover of Wargames Illustrated or an article inside, that sparked my interest in Colonial. And I agree they are still some of the best looking figures for the period available.

Steve

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
Colours were carried during the Transvaal War. I believe the last time they were carried into action was at Laing's Nek in 1881. It was the effect of modern rifle fire on a colour party (picking up the colours at Laing's Nek was virtually a death sentence) that influenced the decision to end the practice, rather than the loss of colours to Zulus or Afghans previously (losing colours to the enemy was nothing new).

Thanks Plynkes. I thought I remembered something about colours during the Transvaal war, but wasn't 100% sure. Was it the Transvaal that officers started to not carry swords or anything than would distinguish them from the other ranks?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2015, 04:11:55 PM »
Was it the Transvaal that officers started to not carry swords or anything than would distinguish them from the other ranks?

No, I don't think so. Officers continued to carry swords for quite some time after (it was really only when facing the Boers that this was an issue). It was really during the latter stages of the South African War of 1899 that officers started thinking in earnest that the more they looked liked other ranks the better, as far as survivability was concerned.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 10:41:30 AM »
Another vote for plastic Pathans here.
Having spent well over £1250 on Perry Sudan metal figs, not to mention 15 boxes of plastic Ansar, in the past 3 years I'm rather wishing these had been released sooner!  :'(  :'( :'(    Never mind, hindsight is a wonderful thing. At least I can do the Anglo Egyptian War now with all those nice red coats to look at.  :) It'll give my Egyptian fellahin a different foe to be slaughtered by for a change.  :D

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »
The Perrys do seem to enjoy flitting between money-makers and pet projects. The Sudan in particular seems to be one of their faves, so this may be the reason we're seeing it in plastic. Not sure how commercially successful it is, but then money isn't everything.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter