Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:32:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686500
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: what makes the wako wako??  (Read 9064 times)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
what makes the wako wako??
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »
Hi there,

been puzzling about the topic question quite a while and googling haven't bring any useful results. With other genres I give the pirates some maritime stuff or special weapons, or ropes, belaying pins, and such. With wako there seem to be no such option.
Have seen some other pirates more from the thaiwanese end or more like curse of the caribean ... but that's a bit overdone
Also some pulp minis which might be something to start with.

I think that the reason here may be, that wako in feudal Japan are not really going to high-sea? Sticking more to shore like waters and also not using any specific maritime weapons?

So, any ideas and or suggestion for minis or conversion?

thanks in advance
DK
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: what makes the wako wako??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:56:46 AM »
Generally they would've been a ramshackle group with no uniform and using what weapon came to hand.The Japanese weren't great sea fairers, preffering to stay close to shore and most of the ships they used (until they state utilising Western designs) were basically fighting platforms or transports using manpower as the main propulsion.

Any mix of random figures with mixed weapons would be suitable really with the odd continental thrown in (Chinese, Thai etc).

There were a couple of pirate clans th at were like normal clans except that they went raiding and had island based holdings. They used specific weapons such as the horoku (exploding spheres on a bit of rope swung round the head and then let go).

Just a quick reply and I can go into more detail if you want  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Wansui

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:12:39 AM »
Wako operating in Japan would consist of far more Japanese while the raids in Korea,China would consist of multi ethnic crews.

The Ming sea ban exacerbated conditions and penniless merchants/fishermen resorted to piracy to eke out a living,while smugglers and corrupt officials also profited from illegitimate trade.

While being multi ethnic in origin Chinese Wako were often trained in Japan and masqueraded as foreign pirates rather than local bandits,bringing new technologies(arquebuas,swordplay etc) that were swiftly adopted by Ming military men such as Qi Jiguang.

Perhaps miniature ranges that have scruffy ronin esque figures such as Black Hat or Perry rather than armored ashigaru would suffice.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »
thanks, that's what I basically thought and found out, too, so far.

However, it looks like that there is no special apperance with the wako. The problem in terms of gaming is what makes recognizable as wako without the special ship on the gaming table? And even more so to be distinctive from any given bunch of bandits?
I would like to use them on the table, and still everyone sees the wako-theme.

What bits and things can I add? I mean without putting them on planks, white sand and and add some shells. It's a start, no doubt, but not the mini in itself.

Are there some more unique maritime tools, staffs and rods I may use as weapons? Sort of entering knifes? Some weird but special Japanese ship-hook?

DK

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 06:50:36 PM »
after taking your thoughts into account and doing some more thinking and googling I came to the conclusion, that I have the following option - especially the last not completely correct, historical speaking ... but Ronin enough for me.

- most important: very beach-like bases with bright thin sand and shells, maybe drift-wood and such
- wrapping some ropes to their bodies and weapons (dunno how exactly as of yet)
- odd looking hook-like weapon used as yari, mixed weapons, etc.
- throwing in more different minis from other tribes, than usual ... and looking then especially for those, where there is more maritime-like appearance to get, even if this is not correct for Wako, raiding their Japanese homeland. These minis then used as higher profiles and leaders, for it is likely that they will look more regular.

I think that should the wako trick.

however, more and different ideas are still highly appreciated!

best wishes
DK

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »
Minimal Armour would be a good idea. If you can get the armored guys to have bits of Armour but mot the whole Armour that would work really well. Armour is heavy and makes you prone to sink so they wouldn't wear the full gear if they could help it.

Throwing in a few guys in Chinese or Korean clothing might also work well to show they are not pure Japanese.

Maybe if you can paint them a little more stubbly and beardy to show they have been away at sea and haven't taken care of their appearance.

Chuck an eye patch on someone just because everyone identifys pirates with eye patches however inaccurate that may be.

Does anyone know if Wako had tattoos? I know that tattoos are generally thought of to be worn by criminals and prisoners in japan but if outlaws like wako wore them that could be an idea.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 06:15:43 AM »
beard stubble and tattoos ... didn't think that, thank a lot.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »
Might help seing the movie Admiral - Roaring Currents.
There are some japanese in less armour that can give you some ideas.

Also worth checking West Wind for their samurai bareheads pack for some transformations. There is one in particular that might work and for a greater variety you can always sculp a beard and mustache (head with band).

I´m not an expert but using some Ikko Ikki from the perrys might be the best aproach!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:14:23 PM by rumacara »

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
Yeah I would say Ikko Ikki from perry, Ronin from Blackhat and Bandits from Northstar would all work quite well.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 07:36:53 AM »
yes, right, got them already for my increased bandit-buntai. So, when making another wako-buntai* out of these models I need these ideas postet here. Hence the question. ^^

* you know how it is, sooner or later one "needs" all factions ... ;)

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »
One of the best artist's renderings of wako I've seen thus far, as it really shows off the rag-tag irregular nature of these coastal pirates:

Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the picture, know it from the Ronin rulebooklet.
And I do realize this very moment, that I never explictly mentioned, what I wanted to use them for ... it's Ronin from Osprey. And I actually have buntai of Sohei, Samurai, Koryu, Bandits, Ikko-Ikki ... all with various options for exchanges and about 250pts.
But no wako as of now. ;)

so, still collecting ideas to make them distinct. As said, ideas so far are a good start! Thank You, folkes.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
yes, right, got them already for my increased bandit-buntai. So, when making another wako-buntai* out of these models I need these ideas postet here. Hence the question. ^^

* you know how it is, sooner or later one "needs" all factions ... ;)

I totally get that. The only thing I am missing is Ming Chinese and thats because I have never seem 28mm Ming models that I like.

Please share your Wako when done.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »
Some very interesting and usefull figures.

http://www.awminiatures.co.uk/store/category.php?id=213

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
For Ronin I now have nearly 80 minis ... painted ... unpainted? Maybe another 40.
These days I checked for the ClanWar minis, boing ... another 35 minis needed ... then the museum miniatures ... and I obviously need some Portuguese, too ...

And still more links incoming ... *sigh* ... but keep going.   :-*

best wishes
DK