Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:34:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Highlanders  (Read 11105 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Highlanders
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »

How about we combine the two:

Henceforth Hammershield will be known as Ralph Bumbershoot lol lol

We're only joking, by the way, Hammers old chap. Hope your not offended.

Not at all. But could I trouble you to go and stick your heads in a pig, the lot of you!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 02:25:53 PM »
Some Jacobites I found:

http://www.underbed.co.uk/

Bears Den
http://www.bearsdenminiatures.com/jacobites.html

Old Glory does some Jacobites as well.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 01:31:05 AM »
Here is a link for the Historifigs 28mm Crimean War stuff, including highlanders (sorry there doesn't seem to be any pictures):

http://www.historifigs.com/CrimeanWar.htm

Supposedly Britannia Miniatures is producing a line of Crimean War figs in 28mm also, but there is neither a list, nor any pictures on their website.

Since this is a fictional project, maybe some showy Napoleonic highlanders such as those from Front Rank would do.  At least they look like they belong in the 19th Century.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 01:44:37 AM »
the crimean war uniform for highlanders include a feathered bonnet.
britannia miniatures also had them in feathered bonnet, I have a sample and is fat. I do not know the historifigs range.

Foundry also has some highlanders for their crimean range.

I do not know about Malamute but I would prefer some other headgear. In fact I started liking the idea having a small unit of Jacobite scots with claymores (standing like JA1 of Front Rank) with an added small unit of yeomen of the guard from scarlet and rose ceremonials range.
argsilverson

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 08:44:15 AM »
the crimean war uniform for highlanders include a feathered bonnet.
britannia miniatures also had them in feathered bonnet, I have a sample and is fat. I do not know the historifigs range.

Foundry also has some highlanders for their crimean range.

I do not know about Malamute but I would prefer some other headgear. In fact I started liking the idea having a small unit of Jacobite scots with claymores (standing like JA1 of Front Rank) with an added small unit of yeomen of the guard from scarlet and rose ceremonials range.

I am with you on this one, I have ordered some Fronk Rank Jacobites and some Essex ones and shall paint the nicest looking figures... Big hairy men in tartan!
To hell with Historical accuracy, its VSF anything goes and I want these guys to look different. Thanks to the everybody for thier contributions and I understand the suggestions of Crimean war figures because of the timelime. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »
Noooo it must be the solar wind highlanders

http://www.chilternminiatures.co.uk/catalog/popup_image.php/pID/9497

lol

Those are fantastic! I am seriously tempted to get some for my 5150 games  :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »
Noooo it must be the solar wind highlanders

http://www.chilternminiatures.co.uk/catalog/popup_image.php/pID/9497

lol

Those are fantastic! I am seriously tempted to get some for my 5150 games  :D

Do you know I have hummed and Harred over these and the rest of the range for years even picking out the packs at shows and then putting them back. They would be ideal for small unit games however but I can never keep a period down to just a few figures ;D. Worth looking at their other stuff WW1 esque Brits and Germans and Zombies also I think

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »

Do you know I have hummed and Harred over these and the rest of the range for years even picking out the packs at shows and then putting them back. They would be ideal for small unit games however but I can never keep a period down to just a few figures ;D. Worth looking at their other stuff WW1 esque Brits and Germans and Zombies also I think

Small is never better  lol

They do have some lovely stuff and for some reason I keep forgetting about them  :?

I'll definitely see them at next year's Triples - although knowing my luck it will be the first they haven't gone to for years.....

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »
Now, Dear Malamute, here comes the difficult question.

I am now recruiting the British side of my VSF forces. I have  a nice collection of victorian policemen from all sources I could find [i.e. wessex, eureka and westwind] and I want to give them some heavy weapons as well. I thought for one or two steam tanks plus a gatling gun. Now for the question: The scottish policemen could have a different uniform? What would it be?
If we use the same miniatures and suppose that the wear trews what would be the ideal colours for their uniform?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 02:06:19 PM »

I am now recruiting the British side of my VSF forces. I have  a nice collection of victorian policemen from all sources I could find [i.e. wessex, eureka and westwind] and I want to give them some heavy weapons as well. I thought for one or two steam tanks plus a gatling gun. Now for the question: The scottish policemen could have a different uniform? What would it be?
If we use the same miniatures and suppose that the wear trews what would be the ideal colours for their uniform?

I would personally keep the uniform the same however turn it Jockanese by using tartan on cuffs and if wearing caps on the bands around those. In reality it was the cap badge that would have been different more so than anything else

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »

I come from something slightly akin to an aristo background as well (Finland-Swedes) but you wouldn't believe it if you saw me.

Which one,, i've been led to believe that i'm a knorring (i think they called themselves that)
don't have any papers to back it up, it was something my grandmother told me several years ago that we were related to them, in some way..

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 06:05:37 PM »

I agree with Lowtardog about the uniform being the same. But as its VSF, go with whatever you like. Perhaps a dark green/black jacket similar to that which the Pipers wear, it looks nice against Black watch tartan trews... Not very historical I know but easy on the eye...

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 10:44:42 AM »

I would personally keep the uniform the same however turn it Jockanese by using tartan on cuffs and if wearing caps on the bands around those. In reality it was the cap badge that would have been different more so than anything else

I thought so, but it is VSF!

I agree with Lowtardog about the uniform being the same. But as its VSF, go with whatever you like. Perhaps a dark green/black jacket similar to that which the Pipers wear, it looks nice against Black watch tartan trews... Not very historical I know but easy on the eye...

Thanks guys.
I searched some photos and today's police bagpipers have a tartan with red stripes, [I donot know the actual clan] but is not black watch one. OK, I'll try some scheme and we might see!