Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:09:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Predator Dark Ages Movie  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Pupikiza

• Assistant
Predator Dark Ages Movie
« on: June 06, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »
I find it today on http://miniaturewargaming.com/
well done  and inspiring short movie: https://www.youtube.com/embed/YRD8jAk274I    :-*  :-*  :-*

Cheers

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
Re: Predator Dark Ages Movie
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:00:57 PM »
It is not hot and damp enough for Pfredator. At least in the first few movies Predators were limited to jungles or global warming Los Angeles. I haven't seen Aliens vs. Predator so maybe they changed that.

Western Front WWI no, Nam yes.
Colonial militia no, Colonial Brits in the Jungles of India yes

Or best yet WWII Brits and Japanese in Burma (especially if forced to fight together against the Predator) hell yes.

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »
That was great!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 12:58:12 AM »
It is not hot and damp enough for Pfredator. At least in the first few movies Predators were limited to jungles or global warming Los Angeles. I haven't seen Aliens vs. Predator so maybe they changed that.

Well, AvP was set in Antarctica... :D

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 01:24:57 AM »
I think Predators like to hunt in hot and humid climates, but it's not like they would pass a good hunting opportunity if the weater is not to their liking... After all, they are a spacefaring species with advanced technology like cloaking devices, so they will probably be able to make themselves comfortable with technology if they really have to. AvP indeed takes place in Antarctica, and in Predator 2 the creature visits a near-freezing slaughterhouse regularly (and fights in it).

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:59:44 AM »
My impression was they have a strong biological bias towards hot climates, and probably physically suffer under less warm conditions, but nipping into a refrigerated meat warehouse for a few minutes to nick some BBQ fixins is something they'd just macho their way through as part of the safari experience.

They made such a big deal about cold being their Achilles heel in P2, when honestly shooting them would be more or less as effective as with humans (well, particularly hard-core humans), notwithstanding that anyone would probably be put down by being sprayed in the face with LN2. I mean P2 is pretty cartoony, so IMO what you actually see probably isn't to be taken entirely as seriously.

I figure that averages out to just their biological temp thresholds for discomfort and hypothermia being maybe 10 degrees or so higher than for humans, but like humans they can tough out uncomfortable conditions if need be, and survive potentially lethal conditions for a while before it wears them down.

Chero's also correct that as a high-tech species, they undoubtedly have ways of protecting themselves from the elements. I figure they prefer to hunt in hot conditions because they feel running around in more or less only a loincloth to be part of the experience for whatever reason, not because they can't throw on some warmer layers and/or heating tech.

I don't remember AVP that clearly, but IIRC the pyramid was climate controlled, so they were only exposed to the cold briefly when entering or leaving. But even if not, AVP also has the question of multiple canons/continuities which may have different rules (as is defiantly the case on the Alien franchise side of things).

There's also just a lot of major stuff in the Predator "expanded universe" fluff I think is amazingly stupid and worth deliberately ignoring or contradicting. I'm a huge fan of the Predator as a movie monster, but ye ghods does it have some of the dumbest fanon/soft-canon.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:15:27 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:42:52 AM »
WARNING... SPOILERS (in tiny script):

I was surprised that the Predator took out the woman with the bow first. They made such a big thing about how good she was, she should have been killed later on (even if it was just a case of 'girl power').

I also thought that any predator worth his salt would have got rid of his shoulder blaster and gone hand to hand with all of them... The blaster seemed to be used 'just because they could get the effect done'.

Not bad I guess.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:48:36 PM by Inso »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »
I was surprised that the Predator took out the woman with the bow first. They made such a big thing about how good she was, she should have been killed later on (even if it was just a case of 'girl power').
Yell SPOILERS man. I read before watching.

Grimm

Steve63

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
I thought I recognised Big Joe Egan
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3041037/

Poking around IMBD I found that all of the actors are professionals
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4171544/?ref_=nm_knf_i2
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:27:35 PM by Steve63 »

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »
Sorry about the spoilers... I must admit that it didn't cross my mind.

I'd also seen it elsewhere a while ago and didn't check the date here so I asumed that everyone had had the opportunity to click it. I will try and edit the post so that it is less obvious :)

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »
WARNING... SPOILERS (in tiny script):
I also thought that any predator worth his salt would have got rid of his shoulder blaster and gone hand to hand with all of them... The blaster seemed to be used 'just because they could get the effect done'.

The Pred only used it after the guy shot him first. They kind of kept it "equal weapons" as it were. As long as the humans only used hand to hand the Pred responded in kind.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 06:56:15 AM »
For a fan made film I'm very impressed. Fan films have come a long way in the last couple decades. Whether the setting is perfectly in keeping with the mythos is secondary to me. They made a movie on a small budget that looks professional, and tells it's story well. That's a success. There's a lot of big Hollywood movies that can't say that.