Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686579
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules Set for Predator movie  (Read 6096 times)

Offline TJSKI

• Librarian
    • http://cursedtreasures.blogspot.com/
Rules Set for Predator movie
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »
Okay,

After seeing overlords awsome Predators that he painted I busted out my Predator movie collection and my Predators (that still need to be painted) and started thinking about doing a game. then my mind drew a blank as to which rule set to use.

So the question for you guys is what would you use for a game based on the 1st Predator movie?

I'm thinking about either using Roadkill ( a Goalsystem rule set) or perhaps using a mod of the Necromunda rules. but interested in what other suggestions you guys have.

TJSKI
"Leutant Kulinski, a rather inept commander"

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:03:19 PM »
I have used a couple of different rules, One COmbat zone with the alien stats taken form the chronicles. I have also used Chain Reaction2 where on their Yahoo group they have stats for Predators.

there is also a Yahoo group with rules which is linked to those who produced a set of rules for SG1 but I havent a link anymore :(

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »
Ooh there are stats on the superfigs site for Predators too :)

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:33:44 PM »
I quite like using Legends of the Old West for movie shootout type games.

Steal the 'elven cloak' rule from Lord of The Rings for the Predator stealth thing and you're on your way.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:57:42 PM »
i've played All Things Zombie and i understand it is VERY similar to Chain Reaction 2.0 - the support documents i see on the page lead me to further believe that.  with that in mind, i would lead towards CR 2.0 for a Predator game.  the "reaction" in chain reaction (ok ATZ) make for a very fluid and fast game.  ecrtainly very less boring than someonther games i've played.

i've also seen referenced to Devil Dogs' Dogs of War: Modern Skirmish Combat.  i've glossed through a free PDF version and it seems ok but i can't say more as i haven't played it.
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline Big Juju

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »
Look no further than Savage Worlds Showdown!  Showdown is the free (!) set of miniature skirmish rules for the Savage Worlds RPG.  Someone has already done an Aliens VS Predator conversion.

Scroll down on this page for a link to download the Showdown rules:
http://www.peginc.com/Games/Games.htm

AVP conversion rules here:
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/SWAVPv1.3.pdf

Lots more conversion rules here:
http://www.savageheroes.com

- Ted

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 10:58:55 PM »
Quote from: "Big Juju"
Look no further than Savage Worlds Showdown!  Showdown is the free (!) set of miniature skirmish rules for the Savage Worlds RPG.  Someone has already done an Aliens VS Predator conversion.

yeah!!  i forgot about those - having played Deadlands RPG in a year long campaign, i might say i already played them - really similar to the RPG combat.  i didn't know they had a aliens-predator porting.  thanks

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 11:00:13 PM »
The Future Wars rules by Chris Peers have specific rules for Predators (Not too surprising as they are pretty much aimed at Mark Copplestones figures).

They allow the use of 2 dummy markers per real Predator deployed and remain as such unless they fire, attack you hand to hand or you get very close to them. They can then revert to dummies if the criteria for seeing them is no longer met.

My intention is to try a variation of "The men of company B" rules (MOCB) by Peter Pig/RFCM that allow the VC/NVA (or Predators) to use markers for a general area of deployment, which is only revealed when contacted. The Predator player can then place them on table with a certain distance of that marker. In MOCB it makes for a potentially frustrating time, but I think might give a pretty good representation of how the Predators hunt/fight in the film.

I have yet to try it out but hope to soon.  I intend to use Ainsty Inaps (clear resin Predators) as the markers.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline panzerfaust65

• Bookworm
Re: Rules Set for Predator movie
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »
I've got a couple of hersey mini predators I want tp paint up and playing a game system based on the movies sound like really great fun...I can feel my creative juices stirring to make some jungle terrian with booby traps made by Dutch to capture the predator. :?
get to the chopperrrr!

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »
I've used Flying Lead by Ganesha Games, worked fine! Rogue Miniatures also has these Dogs of War that might be useful: http://www.rogueminiatures.co.uk/index.php/gun-miniatures/dogs-of-war-7set-miniature.html

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
We've got our own set of WIP Scifi skirmish rules based around xenos,  predators,  corporations, colonists and the USCM. The predators can be played as a force or you can play solo against them. I've thought about playing the humans as the NPC force and the predators as the playable force, but I've not got round to sorting it yet. Predators against humans is fun when the predator's cloaking device is working (watch out for rain or damage to it though!). Predators against xenos is hard though, as there isn't anywhere to hide.

We use 3 counters for a cloaked predator with a working device. Afterall it doesn't make them totally invisible due to the light distortion effect and you can probably still hear them. The predator is randomly determined if it's an NPC,  but player determined otherwise.

Offline panzerfaust65

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »
Thanks for the link for the dogs of war im def buying!!!! :-*
Im well up for a game based on the movie,Ive looked up bell huey copter kits would 1/48 scale work with 28mm figures?
Ive got ideas in my head to do a crashed huey in the tree tops complete with skinned green berets!
plus to model different traps for the predator....im buzzing at the moment
Im thinking of doing a 2ftx2ft jungle board.
panzer
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:19:01 PM by panzerfaust65 »

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
Not sure about the right ruleset, I guess  a simpler one like Goalsystem would be good. As for a scenario, I think it would well as a convention-style game with a gamemaster. The player's tak is to control the spec ops/mercenaries and destroy an enemy camp and/or rescue hostages, but after all enemy fighters are killed (or even before), the Predator appears and start hunting the survivors.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »
I think that the PEF system from THW'S Chain Reaction would work well.
When you resolve the PEF it can be just a case of nerves, a guerilla patrol or the Predator.
Everytime you lose sight of the Predator, you add a PEF marker on the table to simulate his cloaking device.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »
The 'Get to the Chopper!!!' rules on Boardgamegeek are quite fun, and free too:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35635/get-chopper

A quick and light filler game about dying alone in the jungle.

:D