Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:50:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Venta de Pantalones - Vistula Lancers  (Read 38423 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Venta de Pantalones - the French - Chasseurs
« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2020, 09:19:39 AM »
they're looking truly splendid.

and a (bit of) cat in a pic always helps  :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 05:44:30 PM by Bloggard »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »
Ha!  You know, I didn’t even register her in the picture!  That’s Suki, getting on a bit, bit in her day...the ultimate killer!  So yes, my brave little soldiers are indeed staring into the jaws of death!

Wellington, thanks for saying so and Din, I will pass along your regards to Suki!  ;)

I have a great love for cats and especially wargaming cats  :) I have a picture collection.
Also my (late  :'() cat was showing a great interest for my wargaming table and my paint bottles, stealing them in my absence and rolling over the corridor  lol
-Where is the brown? Ah! It must be under the sofa! 
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2020, 11:02:07 AM »
I will be sure to get more of the cat in another update!  ;)

Quick update on progress chart.  I have slightly reorganised it, tidying up a little and concentrated the “German” units into one brigade.  Looks a bit more balanced to me now and I’ve based everything on units of figures I currently own unpainted, with the exception of a few French line regiments which will be out of coat and the Nassau, which will be from Front Rank.

I have enough painted now (broke 40% - yay!) to start putting some minis on the table to work through the rules but I will need a few more allied troops first so going to do a bit of work in the other thread and add to my lone Scots battalion.

I will in the meantime I will be cleaning up the Anhalt battalion ready for painting.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2020, 06:35:59 PM »
Good work on those chasseurs! And looking at your updated stat sheet I once more what an astonishing amount of output you have had so far.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2020, 07:04:28 PM »
The way you are working so methodically is exceptional!
and I like the names of your generals  ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
Nick, cheers.  Yes, I’m quite pleased what I’ve achieved since recovering from Covid but going to get a little slower now work is ramping up.  I was at it until 10pm last night so absolutely no “me”time!  :(  Hopefully will get some done this weekend.

Din....don’t know if you remember it, but Val Kilmer did a spoof movie called “Top Secret” many moons ago that has been influencing my take on French names ever since!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2020, 10:06:32 AM »
The way you are working so methodically is exceptional!
and I like the names of your generals  ;)

You learn something new here everyday. I thought Tarte Tatin was named after the Tatin sisters who invented it. I never realised it was named in honour of an illustrious Napoleonic forbear of theirs.   ;)

(I love Tarte Tatin, me. I have even been to Lamotte-Beuvron, but I never got to go in the Hotel Tatin and try the tarte in its birthplace. My cheapskate friend said it was too expensive in there. I should not have listened to him, I'll probably never get to go there again. Grrr!!! Thumbs up for that reference alone!)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
« Reply #277 on: June 27, 2020, 12:36:57 PM »
Splendid 5 year odyssey! Gives me some hope with my 3 battalions of French line infantry painted 5 years ago and only a unit of dragoons added since (lots primed and ready to go of course!) The general thrust seems to be jump in and get on with it, I will endeavour to do so, thanks for the inspiration!
Best Iain

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #278 on: June 27, 2020, 03:45:54 PM »
I wish I could tell you what works.   I certainly don’t advocate contracting Covid before finding your feet!

Only thing I can say is this, build yourself a target force org, like the one above.  Spend a little time researching if that’s your thing, or put a little of yourself into it, add a touch of humour or something that grabs your interest.

You say you have three battalions!  Great, your first brigade is done......do it another brigade at a time....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:52:04 AM by Digits »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #279 on: June 27, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »
887 minis done and you are only 41% finished.  :o

Keep up the great work!

I enjoy the hell out of this thread.  :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2020, 05:45:55 PM »
Thanks for saying so Ray, but only 367 minis painted so far...887 is my current target!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
Okay...

Obviously I was confused. Happens to me quite often now a days.  :D

For a minute I thought you had gone crazy but it appears you are quite sane!  ;)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2020, 11:07:45 AM »
There is nothing I would rather do than paint 887 Napoleonic figures...
So, at the moment, I am... doing nothing. Even when I do get ALL
of my planned Spanish/British done it will only be a fraction of your French.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2020, 12:08:00 PM »
To be honest Peter, I’ve never painted so many figures for an army....EVER.

Even my Drogan 22/23rd Voltigeurs Imperial Guard (40k) took years and I only ended up with about 250 minis (ok, and a lot of tanks I agree)   That was probably my largest project to date before this one.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/398194.page

With that army, I was to be fair, kitbashing every mini Because I wanted something unique but most importantly, it grew organically and gaming escalation played a huge factor in that every game we played, I always wanted to put something new on the table.  My limited experience has been that’s how most people grow their armies.

So, what I’m saying is, building an army BEFORE even playing a few small games is a bit alien (to me anyway) so I can appreciate how daunting it may look trying to build something to compete with.  That’s why I don’t really mind building a few allied units (my second Scots regiment is underway right now) to help get something on the table, and I’m hoping that once we start playing, if it’s fun, you may then start “escalating” your armies to broaden their tactical use and ability to compete unaided, plugging any obvious holes etc...

Don’t allow yourself to be phased by what I’m doing (which is not a lot compared to some of the armies I’ve seen on here!).

Start modestly, let’s get a few small games underway when we can and see where the journey takes us....

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:12:04 PM by Digits »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2020, 02:58:28 PM »
With that army, I was to be fair, kitbashing every mini Because I wanted something unique but most importantly, it grew organically and gaming escalation played a huge factor in that every game we played, I always wanted to put something new on the table.  My limited experience has been that’s how most people grow their armies.

That was my experience. I joined a group of gamers with 0 troops. By the time I left (joined the military) I had a Corps of Yanks and Rebs and a Carthaginian army (all 15mm). I remember how during the week I worked like mad to make a new unit to bring to our Sunday games. With the ACW I was doing both armies; so one week blue bellies and one week Confederates. A number of our members did that and in the end you had both sides. Nothing wrong with that, especially if you recruit a new member to your group. Someone or two needs to have the basic armies and then the task of growing the group and the armies becomes vastly easier.

BTW... Once you have a group of say 4 people you will find that those folks with lots of troops will start to branch out to other eras. In my case, one of our members started building a Republican Roman army and that is how I ended up with a Carthaginian army. By the time I had to leave, we were alternating each week between ACW, Napoleonics and Ancients.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:45:32 PM by Ray Rivers »