Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:28:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Venta de Pantalones - Vistula Lancers  (Read 38517 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Venta de Pantalones - the French - Chasseurs
« Reply #285 on: June 03, 2021, 02:38:22 PM »
Well, about a year since I last visited the Frenchies!

This time last year, getting over Covid was a very productive time, weather was great and sitting painting in the garden convalescing, I don’t think I have ever painted so furiously!

Since then, work, combined with the slow and grinding pace of lockdown, meant my attention span has been pulled in too many silly directions.   I have started more projects, lost interest and started yet more projects than at just about any time in my gaming past!

To be fair, I have done a lot on my WW2 stuff, especially having someone to game it with nearby, but I guess, not so much gaming butterfly as people call it....more gaming moth.....attracted to the next shiny and bright project then singing myself on it!   :'(

Anyway, enough with the silly wound licking.

A brief exchange of texts with Vodkafan about cavalry, and I decided at least to put together and clean up the two regiments (29e Dragoons and Polish Lancers) to complete another heavy brigade.

I won’t get them done quickly I know, but I usually paint the Neddies first anyway as I find them easy / cathartic.  You just never know...I may even get them done this side of Christmas!  ;)

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #286 on: June 03, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »
O wow nice!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #287 on: June 04, 2021, 07:00:51 AM »
Very nice sculpts, I believe they will be a great addition to your collection!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #288 on: June 04, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »
Cheers.  Talking of sculpts though...i still need to green stuff some epaulettes to the shoulders of some of the Dragoons.  For variety if for no other reason, I decided to make these look like an elite squadron in bearskins.  Doubtful it would have been worn in Spain, but they look fine to me.

Yes there are cheaper ways to represent polish lancers than the way I’ve gone, but I like them.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #289 on: June 04, 2021, 04:17:48 PM »
So, think I will start with the Vistula lancers.   This was THE regiment that really swung the Peninsular war as a project for me.   Certain I’ve mentioned it somewhere but I was fascinated with the history of the East Kent Buffs when I was schooled in Canterbury.  There was a museum dedicated partly to them there and I spent a good number of hours visiting.   In doing so, I was intrigued to read further and the Vistula lancers at Albuera both horrified and fascinated me. 

Before I paint the chaos, I will do the horses, but I also need lances.   Trying to make a reasonable representation without using plastic ones.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #290 on: June 04, 2021, 09:58:10 PM »
Yes there are cheaper ways to represent polish lancers than the way I’ve gone, but I like them.

Good to see you’re back to working on Napoleonics (and French at that)!

What I exactly did you use for the Vistula lancers? I was al age under the impression you couldn’t do them with Perrys.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #291 on: June 04, 2021, 10:32:24 PM »
under the impression you couldn’t do them with Perrys.

Digits doesn't know the meaning of 'couldn't'...
He also doesn't know the meaning of 'is the safety catch on your RPG?'
In fact a whole lot of meanings he just don't get,
we must buy him a dictionary some time. lol lol lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #292 on: June 04, 2021, 10:39:44 PM »
Ha!  Where there’s a will, there’s a way.....

I used Perry Dutch /  Red Lancer on Perry plastic light cav horse.  As I mentioned last year (lol) I don’t see an awful lot on the model that looks out of place to worry me.  The aiguillette on the left shoulder was worn by the elite squadron so that’s who they are.  Their metal horse was not suitably kitted out.   

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Venta de Pantalones - the French - Lancers
« Reply #293 on: June 05, 2021, 08:22:31 AM »
You are working with great care and love for historical accuracy, cudos!
This is why I'm following this thread! Cheers!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #294 on: June 05, 2021, 08:44:51 AM »
Thanks fella!   Interesting one...I’ve read that the pennant on the Lance is red over white, and seen many pics depicting so, but equally, including some artist renditions, I’ve seen white over red?  These must be wrong I think?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #295 on: June 05, 2021, 09:08:38 AM »
Thanks fella!   Interesting one...I’ve read that the pennant on the Lance is red over white, and seen many pics depicting so, but equally, including some artist renditions, I’ve seen white over red?  These must be wrong I think?

Osprey Men-at-Arms series, Napoleon's Guard Cavalry, p22:
"The steel-bladed lance introduced in December of 1809 had a blackened wood staff and steel ferrule. The wrist-strap was of Hungarian leather. The overall length was 2.75m. The pennant which attached at the top was crimson over white and measured 487mm in depth, 487mm in length from V-cut to the staff and 73cm in overall length"
This is the way I painted my 1/72 ESCI Polish Lancers 30 years ago.
The Dutch lancers had pennants with the white over crimson, so this may give an explanation for the mixed representations.
Some more sources:
https://www.napoleon-series.org/military-info/organization/frenchguard/c_polishlancers1.html#:~:text=%20Napoleon%27s%20Polish%20Lancers%20%201%20By%20.,Decree%20of%206%20April%201807%2C%20which...%20More%20
The classic film charge

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2021, 09:13:43 AM »
Ha!  Where there’s a will, there’s a way.....

I used Perry Dutch /  Red Lancer on Perry plastic light cav horse.  As I mentioned last year (lol) I don’t see an awful lot on the model that looks out of place to worry me.  The aiguillette on the left shoulder was worn by the elite squadron so that’s who they are.  Their metal horse was not suitably kitted out.

Thanks! I‘m still hoping Perry or Murawski will make dedicated Vistula lancers some day (and the Perrys a lancers plastic boxes set).

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #297 on: August 24, 2021, 06:14:39 PM »
So finally back to painting a few Naps!  To be fair, I did paint a Germanic war tribe and an SS platoon since I last visited, so been busy.  However, I am longing to

I sat and added the horse flesh last night so I need to do the tack and get the Neddie’s finished. Before moving onto the riders.   

I’m also on holiday for a week or so so going to take my Anhalt regiment away with me to add paint, sing as I often find myself with a few spare hours and I enjoy sitting outside to paint…let’s hope the weather is kind!

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #298 on: August 24, 2021, 07:06:19 PM »
Good grief even more Frenchies!
Vodkafan & My poor Anglo-Spanish (small)
army tremble.
I did see some painted Spanish Napoleonic Artillery
on e-bay. I showed interest at £30 for the 3,
but lost interest at over £100 !!!
Ah well just going to have to paint my own,
much cheaper, but a LOT slower.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #299 on: August 25, 2021, 05:53:19 PM »
Frustrated I vacant buy an Anhalt flag anywhere, I have cobbled one together myself.

Before I use it however, what can I paint on it to lift it!  At least make it a bit shinier?