Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any one use Lion Rampart for the Punic wars?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Any one use Lion Rampart for the Punic wars?
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:13:06 AM »
Any one use Lion Rampart for the Punic wars?
I was just looking at my vixtrix Republic Romans and Carthaginians and thought hmmm. I like Lion Rampart, there is a war that was one and off about 126 years.....so why not?
 I was thinking it would work great also when fighting Greeks, Macedonians, Celts and the Spanish of the era too.
Any one attempt to or put thought into this idea?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Wilkinson73

• Assistant
Re: Any one use Lion Rampart for the Punic wars?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:22:26 AM »
I was pondering Imperial Romans and Brit Celts myself. I think you could make it work with a bit of imagination. Im sure it will work fine. You could always make two opposing war bands so you can play with a friend? The system seems so easy to fit in most ERAS.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 06:44:18 AM »
I guess it's not to hard velites are bidowers. The hard part I am haveing is between the different groups of Hastati,  Principes, and triarii.
Hastati are foot yeoman with Javelins,  but I hesitate to give them expert. Maybe save that for veteran units or Principes.
Then I am debating of making Principes expert yeomen, exp yeomen with javelin or maybe just expert foot Sargent to represent them being the experienced better kitted out 2nd line.
And Triarii would ether be just foot Sargent or maybe even foot men at arms. Not sure about the last bit.
What do you think?
Most Hellenic army's will have a Corp of foot sargents for their hoplite, or Carthage Punic spearman. Experts foot Sargent could represent well equipped Celt and Spanish units and the rest being represented by fierce foot and bidowers.
Peltasts are ether foot yeoman with javelin or bidowers.
I will have to think more on the elephant and cav.
Thoughts?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
I'm not all that familiar with the period, but the system is easy enough that you can trial-and-error your way thru a few games until you get the feel right. I'm doing Trojan War tests right now, and games are short enough that it is easy work...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »
It's an interesting period, but of course the history's focus mostly on the major battles and sieges. It was pretty much the world war one or two of the Classical Era, or at least the Republic era.
It saw the conquest of Greece, Spain, north Africa..Pretty much set Rome up as the top Dog.

Offline Longstrider

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
Yeah, there's no reason why Lion Rampant couldn't work for it. I think the only stumbling block would be whether you'd expect the sorts of troop types that fought pitched battles and represented armies on the march in smaller skirmishes (or heck, do as I do and just ignore that for the sake of pretty games!)