Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yet another Lion Rampart topic  (Read 3975 times)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Yet another Lion Rampart topic
« on: December 09, 2014, 05:24:37 AM »
Hiyas,

had to jump on board the Lion Rampart train. Purchased the rules from a LFGS some time ago and went and ordered Perry Bros minis for the list below. As it seems, all plastic is the hype now so of course I had to go all metal myself  >:D All the minis are from current Perry Agincourt range unless stated otherwise. Feel free to comment on the list at this point:

1 unit of Mounted Yeomen (6)
1 unit of Mounted Serjeants (6)

1 unit of Expert Foot Serjeants (12)* [I guess it's ok to have the leader in infantry unit?]

1 unit of Crossbowmen (12) [6 Perry minis, 4 Claymore Castings, 2 converted OOP WHFB Bretonnians]
1 unit of Archers (12)
1 unit of Bidowers (6) [all OOP WHFB Bretonnians]

As I just got the minis yesterday and I haven't even unpacked them yet, no piccies so far of the minis. Will hopefully start basing them this evening.

And as the background story is always important, these chaps will represent the forces of Bishop of Turku in the late 14th century and/or the early 15th century. As Finland was part of the Swedish kingdom and Kalmar Union back then, and in the peripheria of Europe (as of now as well  lol ) the equipment should be good for the middle parts of 15th century as well. Painting will not include fancy heraldic emblems and such so I can use them for the central European setting as well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:29:18 AM by pocoloco »

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: Yet another Lion Rampart topic
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 05:38:53 AM »
Ohhh.... Interesting...
Now start painting.  :D

Its ok to put the leader in a infantry unit.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:05:30 AM »
Ohhh.... Interesting...
Now start painting.  :D

Its ok to put the leader in a infantry unit.

Thanks for the interest and info regarding the leader... and encouragement to get them painted  o_o Need to base them first, though :)

So, bishops of Turku were quite powerful feudal (if one can use that word in the Nordic context) lords on their own. They had a nice castle in Kuusisto with their own garrison and were able to muster local troops as well. Many of the bishops weren't just happy with their ecclestical duties but partook in the state matters as well, also providing troops for the defence of the realm (especially it's eastern part, Finland, also known as East Land back then.)

Here are few pics of the Kuusisto Castle for those who might be interested in such matters... and no, I am not going to build it but if I win in lottery I will hire Jimbibbly to build it :D

Here's the castle in its heyday, middle to late 15th century:

And here how it looks today:

The castle was demolished by the orders of Swedish king Gustav Vasa after the reformation, he didn't want to leave a possible support base for Catholic uprising and also not to give a power base for the reformed church either. Also being a very economical chap, he could have thought that the castle of Turku close-by was enough, no need to have two castles so close to each other.

Here's a 3D model of the castle, used to be almost on island, lakeside protected by couple of rings of logs just under the water level:

And one more pic. Esilinna means bailey and päälinna means the keep/citadel, paaluvarustus shows the placement of the logs mentioned earlier:

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:34:03 AM »
Exellent Project !!!

I hope the leader mini will be the bishop himselft in imtre, Crosier and fancey clothes/armour and of course mounted on a Horse (Dosent matter if he is in a Foot Serjants unit, he count as the same and after all you rated them Experts) and ofcourse you also will have his banner and some Icon banners to in the unit, will be stunning !

Pleas tell how you look at the Mounted Yeomen ? Will they be Mounted Crossbow?

You have formed a quite shooty hoast, be sure to shoot down all enemys befor they reach you:)

Really looking forward to follow your project, especially the castle build:)

Best regards Michael

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »
Thanks Michael,

I hope to do my best.

Any good tips regarding the Bishop miniature, where to find a suitable one or good one to be used as a basis for conversion work?

I think I have some plastic crossbows in my bits box so I could give the mounted Yeomen at least a few of those.

The mounted Serjeants, Expert Foot Serjeants and the crossbowmen will be from the bishop's garrison so they could have more uniform colours (mainly red and gold), the rest are locals raised in arms to serve the Realm and Church :)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »
Antti, interesting project wich i will follow with interest.
The bishop you want it mounted or on foot?
I may get you a bishops head if you need it.
You can glue it on a armoured body and sculp a cloak for example.

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »
Sounds like you have a plan Antti :)

I´m not sure how the Finnish Allmoge fought bit I asume they did fight a bit like the Swedish ones in Mixed Formations? have you considered to field the Bowmen as Foot Yeomen with Mixed weapon ? cost you 1 point more but that you get from down grading the Mounted Yeomen to Javelines only...poor crossbows and bows???

Perry have a nice mini in the WR2 Lancastrian mounted high command ( Henry VI, Margret of Anjou, Duke of Buckingham) that I used for my Bishop. Just converted the hat with a grenadier mitre and made me a Crosier from a perry Glave:)

more WIP pictures here

more pictures of the painted bishop here

Sorry for Hijacking you post with my pictures, I hope they will be of help.

Best regards Michael
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:47:44 AM by Dalauppror »

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »
Do post as much as you want Michael :)

I do remember that great Bishop of yours, it's an excellent piece in both conversion and painting.

Finnish Allmoge surely followed the Swedish way in the late medieval period, I guess only in the beginning (that's 1100s and 1200s) they were more of a heathen horde than too much organised bunch :D

I hope that I will get different type of units in the end. I remember that one of the Turku bishops also had/recruited a small number of handgunners. As of now I have only three handgunners of unknown manufacturer I need to get the Perry handgunners so I can have a proper 6 men strong handgunner unit at some point, even though there are no official blackpowder rules for Lion Rampart, yet.

edit: about the Bishop fighting in the ranks... there are no sources, that I know of, saying that Turku bishops took part in actual fighting but we can always bend the history a bit, especially if it gives us a good story :D Need to look into the matter, so Rui, I might contact you about the clerical head you might have extra :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:03:38 PM by pocoloco »

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:30:11 PM »
Anytime Antti.
I might also have a few extras for your project. ;)

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:03 PM »
Hi Antti

I run Handgunnera as Bidowers and use to mix them up with crossbow and bow mend, they have the same Skirmish function on the battlefield regardless of weapon so pain the 3 one you hav and add som crossbowmen.

There are acctually "official" handgonnes rules for Lion Rampant, but they was discarded from the final product during playtest, I dont really like them, but if you want to try them out you can find them here at the Lion rampant page on Boradgame geek

During the medieval period there was so many berlingiant Bishops so way not the one in Turku... at least Bishop Yhomas was suppoused to have participated in som crusades during the 13th century

Best regards Michael

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »
Will have to check the handgonne rules, thanks for the heads-up Michael.

Managed to base archers and crossbowmen this evening, they do look good so far but that's because I haven't tried to paint any of them yet  lol Still need to find one good crossbowmen that fits rest of the crowd.

Yes, there has been some more belligerent bishops but in my timeframe neither of them were really on the battlefield it seems.

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »
Yes, there has been some more belligerent bishops but in my timeframe neither of them were really on the battlefield it seems.

You can always place him in the back of the unit and let him lead by advice;)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »
You can always place him in the back of the unit and let him lead by advice;)

Excellent idea!  :D

Wargames Foundry has a nice priest/bishop type on foot. Their minis might be somewhat smaller (?) than Perry or Claymore ones but I guess the unit could look good still. Also need to find one crossbowman to fill the unit to 12 minis... And get some artillerymen to crew a cannon (no use in game but good as objective, for example).

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
Welcome to the ramparts :)