Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 03:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691474
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 481
Total: 487

Recent

Author Topic: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)  (Read 75191 times)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest) Painting Log
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2015, 07:11:38 AM »
It's amazjng these models STILL hold up to today's standards of sculpting! If someine newly made them today, they'd still be highly sought after!

BTW that's just teasing.... showing those great models then telling us you're leaving it to last!  :(

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
Well, inevitably the project stalled when real life intervened. However, my enthusiasm hasn't waned, even though my time for painting has!

This week I received my Dungeon Saga Kickstarter rewards from Mantic. For $25 USD, I got a Dragon, some card floor tiles, and a bunch of Dungeon scenery.

Highlights from the scenery set:

Some bits that I can't use because they're really bendy (I could maybe heat them up/freeze them, and/or pin them, but it's too much hassle):

But the crowning glory, and worth the price of the reward tier all on it's own - the Dragon. So impressed with this model! (Skaven shown for scale).

That's all for now, but just finishing the first bit of painting I've done for weeks, so hopefully more updates soon.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2015, 04:36:31 PM »
Can't wait to see what you do with this.  Got the call from my folks that my box has arrived (yes, I sent KS to my folks house because I move around every couple of years...and with KS taking 1-2 years, I just feel safer doing it that way!).  The terrain was underwhelming in some pictures, but your pics make me a bit more hopeful.  I'll see how much of my stuff was bent.

Odd, how today, 20+ years on they can't match the precision and quality of plastic stuff from say Hero Quest.  Kinda odd.  ???

When are you going to tackle that dragon?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »
Yeah, the scenery is actually better in real life than in the photos, although the plastic is soft. The solid bits like doors and bookshelves are great though. I also have the Zealot minis scenery, which us better still.

I want to paint the dragon now, but I have no use for it for ages... ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2015, 05:14:07 PM »
How long ago did your Zealot stuff arrive?  Have a buddy who's been waiting on his for a while now...I didn't have the funds to get in on that stuff (sigh)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2015, 05:36:31 PM »
How long ago did your Zealot stuff arrive?  Have a buddy who's been waiting on his for a while now...I didn't have the funds to get in on that stuff (sigh)

End of August. I'd advise him to chase them up (their email responses were excellent).

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »
Some bits that I can't use because they're really bendy (I could maybe heat them up/freeze them, and/or pin them, but it's too much hassle):

Boil some water, and fill a bowl or large mug. Then dip the bent models into the hot water for a time (swords and legs take a couple of seconds, but thick parts take a bit longer), and carefully fish them out with a fork. Don't let the water get cold! When you retreive the parts from the hot water, straighten them out and hold them in place until they cool a bit (shouldn't take long). Then, still holding them in the desired position after they've cooled a bit, run them under a really cold tap, or dunk them in a large bowl of cold water with a couple of ice cubes in it.

This technique can also be used to re-pose models.  :)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »

Correction: I just saw the latest update saying that only a third of pledges have been fulfilled. They did much better than expected,  and I think they're sending orders out in order of pledge (I backed in the first few hours).

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »
Cool project.  I backed the Dungeon Saga KS for exactly the same set as you.  Can't wait to see yours painted, should give me some inspiration.  Thanks for sharing.
This is my boomstick!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2015, 07:55:53 AM »
Thanks for the bump, psyberwyche - I would've missed this great thread completely. Fantastic painting on some fun old (and not so old) models!

I hear you regarding the HQ mummies. It's hard to not end up with something out of Scooby Doo. You did well with yours though!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
Gosh, how time flies! This thread is so old now that this is almost threadomancy. Real life (and conflicting hobby projects) have really got in the way of this little quest.

Thankfully, I have some new stuff to show, so hopefully I'll be forgiven.

Just finished a Minotaur, and almost done with a Dwarf adventurer. More soon!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »
Awesome, I love seeing this thread pop back up.  It does make you feel bad when you think "I'll go update my thread..." and it's on page 3, or the forum says "Nothing has been posted in 120 days..."

lol

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
Not as bad as I feel when I read through the last few pages and realise I *still* haven't finished those Snotlings  lol

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Old school colour styles mixed with new school painting techniques equals epic win! I love your stuff!!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
Minotaur is great!