Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:58:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)  (Read 71656 times)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »
Howdy Pardners!

This project log has been a long time in the making/planning, and my painting speed can sometimes slow so much that I wondered if I should even do it at all. But recently I’ve been so consumed by this project – at least, by the *idea* of this project – that I decided it was time to put up or shut up. And so, without further ado, I present to you, Psyber’s Warhammer Quest/ Dungeon Painting Log!

A few things to get out of the way, for those who’re interested:

1. My guiding principle behind this project is that I will only paint models that I like, and will paint nothing out of necessity. Bold words, but the whole point of this project is to help sustain my enthusiasm for painting and modelling. Therefore, I’ll be selecting models from outside the core box, and even outside the Citadel range, in order to put together my ‘ultimate’ set. Parcels of classic models are arriving on an almost daily basis, and many of my old (20-year-plus) models are bathing in stripper as I type!

2. I used to be pretty seriously into the game as a lad, and hope to be again, so the first step is to collect and paint every monster from the levels 1-3 monster tables! Some of these will require proxies. Some, I simply don’t like and never have, so I’ll be swapping those out for models that I *do* like (see rule 1). But more or less, it’ll be complete.

3. I hate dungeon models on square bases, and even more so on green bases. To help unify the collection, I’ve chosen to base all my models on Fenris Games Temple Ruin and Cthulhu Temple round chamfer bases.

That’s the rules done. Time for the first pic:

I painted the four heroes from the box, along with a few extras from Warrior Packs and homebrew rules, over 10 years ago. Actually, they stood up pretty well, so my first job was to rebase them and do some touch ups to bring them in line with my present painting standard.

Same applied to these guys – the Witch Hunter, and a Talisman model I use as a Bounty Hunter custom Warrior (you can find the rules here http://bwarhammerquestcustomized.runboard.com/).

Wot, no Elf? ‘Fraid not. I never liked the Warhammer Quest Elf. I had a Talisman one that I used to use, but he didn’t really stand up to the others. So, the first brand-new-from-scratch model I painted for the project was this Elf from Statuesque Models.

I plan to replace the three original heroes in the near future, as only the Barbarian really stands the test of time for me. I’ll also be adding a Trollslayer and Warrior Priest for starters, and maybe the Imperial Noble later.

However, in the next update I’ll be looking at monsters…
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:57:16 PM by psyberwyche »

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: Psyber's Super-Duper Warhammer Quest Painting Log
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
A Warhammer Quest tread? Eeexccellleeeent!  :-*
Great painting on those heroes, I'm looking forward to what you'll do next!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
Oooh I'll be following this. My own WQ project got bogged down after I didn't implement Rule 1 and started painting the orcs from the box... I haven't even got round to painting the heroes I sculpted yet. :(

Top painting all round and your old figures look great on their new bases. I'm really pleased to have provided an alternative elf - I'm not a fan of the original either. :D

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:06 PM »
Cheers! Problem with the old Elf was that he didn't actually look like an Elf  lol

I'll be using your Barbarian for sure. But tonight I'll be photographing the first batch of baddies ready to post tomorrow.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »
Good stuff: crisp, strongly contrasted, colourful, well-modulated.

The one-piece plastics from the boxed set were always favourites of mine, as was the witch hunter. 

I never noticed before that Statuesque's elf appears to be Jeremy Paxman in a blond wig.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:33:42 PM »
Yes.  Yessss.  YESSSSSS.  Continue.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 02:49:05 AM »
TOP WORK!

Your minis really are pieces of art.

Good memories with those classic minis.

Waiting for more.

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 06:37:41 AM »
Amazing work!  :o
Some of these miniatures are laying in my shelf orribly painted: i wish one day to have stuff painted like yours. Keep on sharing!

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 06:41:02 AM »
Lovely work!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »
So, the first baddies I painted weren't from the box set at all, but instead scratched my itch to paint some Undead:

Now, the eagle-eyed among you may recognise a few of the models so far from an article in Wargames Soldiers & Strategy a few months back. Yes, my project stalled almost before it had begun, but have no fear, I now have my mojo back, hence I'm using the project log to provide further motivation.

To prove it, I added to my growing Undead horde (well, small gang, maybe) with more Skeletons. The thing I love about Quest is that you never need to paint more than 12 models of the same type - and in this case, it's only 6 of each type of Skeleton (bows and swords). This helps keep the motivation and interest high, and encourages you to do a good job on each model, rather than bash them out, army style. I also painted a classic Warhammer Quest Necromancer to lead them (taken from the brilliant Catacombs of Terror set):

Have to confess, the new Vampire Counts plastic skellies from GW are great, if a little on the small and finicky side. But they're a real pleasure to paint compared to the old archers.

Mr. Larenscheld, it's time for your close-up:

That's all for now. I'm putting the finishing touches on some Zombies, and I'll be back. Thanks for looking!

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »
Excellent paintwork all round. I'll watch this project with interest.  :D

I never really got into Warhammer quest but played heroquest and advanced heroquest for quite a while.

I'm quite taken with the new GW skeletons. Might have to get a box myself...
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 02:11:15 PM »
Wasn't hugely happy with the photo quality on the second batch of Skeletons, so I've taken a couple of single shots of my favourite one. Meet Skeleton Bob.

Steve63

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
Stunning.
 :-*

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »
While I'm totally unfamiliar with the various Quest games, your creations are GORGEOUS & would look WONDERFUL with any Fantasy game. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »
Constantly impressed and amazed at the quality and quantity of your output (well certainly compared to me).

Great stuff  :)