Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)  (Read 73341 times)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
Re: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest) Painting Log
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »
@Major Gilbear I wasn't planning on doing multiple characters for progression purposes, but I do plan on doing multiple versions of the same class so that people can choose their favourite model when they come round for a game (so I'd have two very different Barbarians, for example, and possibly a male and female version).

On the Orcs, I think the larger plastics are far better than the original boxed game ones, certainly in terms of expression, detail and menace! However, they aren't my favourite models - the old metal Big Uns are probably the most characterful IMHO, but really hard to get hold of. I have two and couldn't even find them on ebay, let alone buy another 10!

PS. I've added a few close-up shots to some of my earlier posts, for those interested.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »
@Elbows: That sounds like I'm responsible for something. Oh god, I can't take the pressure!  lol

(seriously though, you're too kind).

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »
[...] I do plan on doing multiple versions of the same class so that people can choose their favourite model when they come round for a game (so I'd have two very different Barbarians, for example, and possibly a male and female version).

Great idea!

On the Orcs, I think the larger plastics are far better than the original boxed game ones, certainly in terms of expression, detail and menace! However, they aren't my favourite models - the old metal Big Uns are probably the most characterful IMHO, but really hard to get hold of. I have two and couldn't even find them on ebay, let alone buy another 10!

I do like the Brian Nelson style of Orcs... I just don't like what GW did with the rest of the anatomy (like going from hunchbacked Orcs to having ones with heads in the middle of their chests).

I know what you mean about the Big 'Uns though. That they were not really released in quantity doesn't help in getting them second-hand now either.

PS. I've added a few close-up shots to some of my earlier posts, for those interested.

Yep, your paintjobs are absolutely super:-*

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 08:47:50 AM »
Howdy!

bit of a slow week last week due to holidays. I did manage to rummage about in the attic,however, and dig out some more models. I've started to cannibalize my old Orcs and Goblins Warhammer army now, and so I found a half-painted Troll, rebased him and repainted him for the Quest project. I'll consider this one a test piece - need to get two more painted eventually, but for now one is enough.

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
Lovely, lovely, lovely (as everything else you have posted!).

That's pretty much the skin tone I want to achieve with my trolls, once I get to paint them. Grey with a slight moss green tint.
Can you please share the paint recipe you've used with this nice fellow?
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2015, 09:50:59 PM »
That is an OUTSTANDING creation...BEAUTIFUL array of colors & some WONDERFUL work with the brush. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2015, 12:00:42 AM »
Awesome...though the Dwarf doesn't look like he's too excited.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2015, 06:22:23 AM »
Great job on all of them...but I love the skeletons!

Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2015, 08:40:46 AM »
That's pretty much the skin tone I want to achieve with my trolls, once I get to paint them. Grey with a slight moss green tint.
Can you please share the paint recipe you've used with this nice fellow?

Sure! I used some old paints on this guy though. The skin was 50/50 Knarloc Green and Adeptus Battle Grey (both Foundation paints - not sure what the new equivalents are). I washed the model with green and black mixed washes (I use Army Painter Green Tone and Secret Weapon black, but there are several on the market). Then I just gradually added Fortress Grey to the base colour for the highlights.

Edit: for paint compatibility, check out this chart: http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »
Thanks, will keep the recipe (and the link) in mind when I get down to mine. :)

Offline kenohhkc

• Scientist
  • I Can't Help Myself
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
Great thread. Terrific.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »
Stop. Hammer time!

Ahem.

This week's update is another hero - this time the Warrior Priest. Again, I didn't use the Warhammer Quest figure with the gigantic barrel-shaped hammer, but instead picked up my favourite mini from the metal WP sets that GW released a few years back. I'm not too fussed about him having exactly the right starting equipment (two hammers instead of one, scrolls instead of book), especially as heroes tend to buy and find new equipment all the time during the game.

I really need to stop getting distracted now and paint those monsters, or this project will never get done!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »
Gorgeous model again!

I liked that series of priests actually (they looked suitably grim and determined) - I think they did something like three sculpts with slightly different weapons loadouts.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
Yep. I actually had all three. The one with hammer, shield and book was probably slightly better, but he suffers from 'one leg up standing on huge rock' syndrome, which was just too much work for the dungeon setting  :)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »
Just wanted to plug this website for any fans of Warhammer Quest: http://bwarhammerquestcustomized.runboard.com/

Run by a guy called 'Littlemonk', this is is one of the most complete collections of warriors, cards, dungeon tiles and adventures on the net, and it all looks very professional. As he plays regularly, he's also revised some of the original warrior packs to make them play better, and he's done a sterling job.