Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest)  (Read 74558 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Psyber's Super-Duper Dungeon (Warhammer Quest) Painting Log
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
Yep, I've scanned that before - it has quite a following.  I like the way you did your priest up.  Looks like he's ready for a fight.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2015, 01:08:39 PM »
Incredibly, I've managed to keep pace with this project log, ready for another Monday update. I give to you the first of my Minotaurs:

For anyone unfamiliar with Warhammer Quest, the Minotaur is the 'big bad' of the basic game. It's possible to face D3 Minotaurs in your first game, which is almost impossible to defeat. If you get one of the buggers, you're going to have a a hard time :)

The choice of model here isn't everyone's favourite - it's not even my favourite, but good Minotaurs are hard to find. I searched and searched and basically came to the conclusion that these goofy ones from the 90s, if painted well, are about as good as it gets. For anyone wondering: Scibor does three great minotaurs, but a bit too expensive for my blood. Avatars of War do my favourite minotaur, but only have two poses and they didn't look easy to convert. The new GW plastics are, to my eyes, ugly as sin (what's going on with those weird feet?). The original Warhammer Quest ones, although a marvel when they were made, now look very dated and not very threatening compared to my hard-bitten warriors. No-one wants a cuddly Minotaur!

The advantage of using these particular models is that the Minotaur Lord, which came out at the same time, is a genuinely nice figure, and will fit in with his Minotaur minions nicely. I just secured one off eBay, so eventually I'll be painting him along two more basic Minotaurs to match the one above.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2015, 12:05:40 AM »
Lovely.  I want to redo my current minotaur (doesn't look beastly enough).  Lovely work on that fella (I particularly like his choice of weapon).

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »
Lovely minotaur!

I agree that the snouts look a bit cartoony, but that era of Citadel metal minotaurs is probably my favourite actually.

That said, I've seen a few conversions over the years that mix and match different bodies and heads to great (superior) effect.

Anyway, well done.  8)

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
Lovely.  :D

Great work on that Minotaur.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »
Well done on that Minotaur! Like your painting style.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »
Wonderful painting. I recall coming against a couple of Minotaurs during my first or second WHQ game: things did not end well!

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
I recall coming against a couple of Minotaurs during my first or second WHQ game: things did not end well!

Yep! The Minotaur is the primary reason that most parties don't make it past Level 1. Thankfully, if you do get past that early barrier, things get a little more balanced, at least for a time. The difficulty curve goes 'Insane-->normal-->easy-->Insane'. Yet for all that, it's still brilliant!

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
For anyone unfamiliar with Warhammer Quest, the Minotaur is the 'big bad' of the basic game. It's possible to face D3 Minotaurs in your first game, which is almost impossible to defeat. If you get one of the buggers, you're going to have a a hard time :)

Hear, hear.
I still remember that game of Warhammer Quest. It was a no-master, randomized game. First room, draw a encounter card... 1D3 minotaurs. Roll the dice... 3 minotaurs.
Let's just say that five minutes later we were starting a new game. lol

Oh, and very nice painting on your minotaur!
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »
Right, I've been putting off painting the bog standard monsters for this game, as even in these small quantities I have to find models that I really like, otherwise I can't bring myself to batch paint. I've sort of figured out a solution.

Enter the Night Goblins:

These guys are so much more characterful than the ones in the WHQ box, and are probably the best Goblins GW sells. They might be my favourite Goblins ever. They're the one-part Gobbos from the Skull Pass starter set, which I never got round to painting. Very crisp detail, and I like that they're small too, rather than the over-sized ones that GW used to make.

My solution to painting fatigue is to do them in batches of six rather than all 12 at once. I've already started the six archers, and I've been breaking up the 'assembly line' by doing a few test schemes for future models. So there'll be more Gobbos next week :-)

Rather enjoying painting these guys. Interestingly the Goblins in the original box were the common variety, but I've gone for Night Goblins all the way, because (a) they're much better models, I mean, so far superior that there's no contest, and (b) Night Goblins live in caves and dungeons, so it makes sense to me.

More to follow.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »
Nice!  I concur, some of the best GW goblins.  For my dungeon crawl I very much do the "paint a big batch of baddies...then a hero/monster" routine. :D

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
For my dungeon crawl I very much do the "paint a big batch of baddies...then a hero/monster" routine.  :D

Totally agree, it keeps at bay the madness (mostly). At least I'll never need to paint more than 12 of the same type - that's the mantra that keeps me going. Six more little Night Goblins, then a Boss, Shaman, 3 Fanatics, and I'm done on the Goblin front for a while. Gotta paint some Squigs eventually...

The bit I'm least looking forward to is the small critters, which are kinda essential for gameplay purposes - Snotlings, Bats, Rats and Spiders. I'm going to have to start them soon while my enthusiasm for the project is still high, because if I leave them until the end they'll never get painted!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »
FANTASTIC ADDITIONS! While I prefer the older plastic Goblins...different strokes & all that, your Little Green Guys look WONDERFULLY nasty, AND the Minotaur is an OUTSTANDING creation. VERY WELL DONE one & all!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »
Woohoo! Received an unexpected parcel today, and it was my Kickstarter stuff from the Zealot Miniatures Twisted Catacombs campaign.

Particularly impressed by the 'boss door' - totally going to use this when the Objective Room gets drawn in Warhammer Quest.

I don't have time to photograph everything right now, but I'm incredibly impressed by the quality. There are doors (large and small), piles of little skulls and bones for base detailing, treasure chests, flagons, bottles, candlesticks, tables, a well (of doom), trap markers, spiral staircase, portcullis... so much stuff. A big reminder that this project is not just about the minis - looks like I'll be painting some 3D dungeon components now too :-)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »
Oooh, nifty! I'll be sitting next to the mailbox the coming days... if I was not going on holiday :s

Looking forward to seeing the scenery painted.
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?