Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690927
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Agincourt Diorama!!!  (Read 11107 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Perry Agincourt Diorama!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 11:07:52 AM »
*eyes-falling-out-of-head smiley*

I really hope that this exhibition will be up for at least a few months. It's amazing.

At least 'til Salute next year.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »
Wasn't there a mention at some point that the 'Agincourt' plastic kits were triggered by a commission? This could be it – although I seem to recognise just metal figures so far.

The massed French infantry looks very impressive, and it gives a good idea of how they tried to pull this off back then by just making their superior numbers and equipment count. Also the confused cavalry charge is very nicely represented. There's no way that these men, trained to ride almost knee to knee in order to impact all at once, could do any harm to formed infantry in defensive stance. So, quite educative in many ways.

Dioramas of that scale demand a different, more basic approach to painting, and I appreciate that. Not a fan, to be honest. But that's why I wouldn't even dream to achieve something like this. lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
Looks like another trip to London is on the cards then!!  :D :D :D :D :D

Very excited about this!! To the point of bursting!!!

Darrell.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
Google lead me to this story about the exhibition at the Tower of London.

http://www.agincourt600.com/event/royal-armouries-exhibition-tower-of-london/

"To commemorate the anniversary of Agincourt this special exhibition will tell the  moving story of the build-up to the battle, the unfolding events of the day, the aftermath and legacy. The exhibition will bring together medieval arms, armour, art, music and manuscripts. Iconic objects on display include a portrait of Henry V from the National Gallery London, a manuscript of the Agincourt Carol from the Bodleian Library, the Lyle Bacinet and Warwick shaffron from the Royal Armouries, a plaque of the Arms of the Dauphin Louis from the Louvre, and the surcoat that Richard Burton wore as Henry V from the Victoria & Albert Museum.

At the centre of the exhibition will be a beautifully detailed scale model of the battlefield featuring over 4,000 painted scale model figures, accompanied by an overhead shower of arrows signifying the 7,500 English archers.  This extraordinary exhibit will give visitors the opportunity to witness the tumult and chaos of the battle itself at a crucial moment in its development.

A lively programme of events will accompany the exhibition from 24 October to 1 November, including talks, skill-art-arms demonstrations and activities for all the family. Visitors will be able to experience for themselves what it would have been like to stand amongst knights, soldiers and archers, preparing for battle and to hear the stories of the prisoners who were kept at the Tower."

And this picture from the exhibition designers.

from here
http://studiomb.co.uk/News

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »
Wonder where the diorama will end up... It might have been made for the exhibition, but I'm sure it will end up as a permanent exhibit somewhere. Too good (and I'm guessing too much of an investment) not to have it on permanent display...

I remember going to Battle Abbey as a kid, where they had a large diorama of Hastings made from converted Airfix 1/72 Robin Hood and Sheriff of Nottingham figures... (It's probably still there).
It stuck with me for a very long time and I'm pretty sure was a contributor to my becoming a wargamer and modeller...
I'm sure this diorama will have much the same effect on 000's  :)

And if the Royal Armouries merchandising arm have got their wits about them, they'll be flogging stackloads of Perry plastic boxes from the museum shop.

All of which would tend to suggest that the Agincourt - Orleans French plastic set won't be too long coming now...  :D

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »

And if the Royal Armouries merchandising arm have got their wits about them, they'll be flogging stackloads of Perry plastic boxes from the museum shop.

All of which would tend to suggest that the Agincourt - Orleans French plastic set won't be too long coming now...  :D

*gasp* I hadn't even thought of that. Christmas might come early this year!

But yes, I think most of the people here have been struck by awe as kids at one diorama or other and thought something in the lines of 'this is so fantastic, I wish you were allowed to play with it'. One well stocked giftshop later and you're hooked for life...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »
*gasp* I hadn't even thought of that. Christmas might come early this year!

It has to be aimed for the anniversary does it not?

Darrell.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »
It has to be aimed for the anniversary does it not?

Darrell.

Knowing the Renedra reputation for turnaround on Perry sets I've always thought this was a possibility.  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
Exhibition will be running until 31st of january, 2016. I have no idea what will become of the boards after that... Stored for the next anniversary?  o_o

Offline Elgis

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »
Most impressive, especially that tide of steel that is the french foot men at arms

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
Now I want to see that exhibition in the Tower of London!  ;D
Sounds awesome.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 06:05:03 PM »
Exhibition will be running until 31st of january, 2016. I have no idea what will become of the boards after that... Stored for the next anniversary?  o_o

It will be moved to the Leeds Royal Armouries according to the Perry FB page.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »
All of which would tend to suggest that the Agincourt - Orleans French plastic set won't be too long coming now...  :D

The twins release approximately one plastic set per quarter. Since the British Napoleonic light dragoons came out in late June, a late September or October release sounds like a reasonable assumption for the French HYW set. Make that mid-September if Renedra pull out all the stops or late October/early November if they experience a bottleneck.  

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »
This is wow. The Perry's have been going at it hard to get some really great Diorama's out there. First their Great War Chunuk Bair diorama and now this. The boys are real busy!
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark

Offline Hapax Legomenon

• Lurker
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
Most impressive, especially that tide of steel that is the french foot men at arms

Agree, I wish I could replicate the look on wargame bases for our table top games. Probably impractical, definitely expensive. According to contemporary reports there was a lot of pushing among dismounted men-at-arms at Agincourt once in contact with the front of the English. Are the Perrys showing the way?

Judging by the pictures, well worth a trip to The Tower.