Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:11:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle for Kew - The Times 29th October 1882  (Read 9013 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
The Battle for Kew - The Times 29th October 1882
« on: October 29, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »
As reported previously our brave boys have finally defeated Prussia in a pitched battle on the very doorstep of London at Kew Gardens.

The massive battle raged over two long days last weekend 24th - 25th october 1882. Most of the action was centred around the gardens with the famous glasshouse forming the centre of the British line.

Friday 24th october afternoon shortly after 3pm the first Prussian probe occured with a skirmish involving Prussian flying troops and an airship supported by infantry against the thin red line of Gordon Highlanders charged with defending the glasshouse and assorted infantry support and a Thunderer designed to bring down flying machines.

Here is an overview of the battefield:

You can clearly see the whole of Kew Gardens with the glasshouse in the centre. Following the boundary wall Kew Village can be seen in the distance with fields and the odd house. (This area was involved in a tense skirmish on the saturday.)
The Prussian airship is in the foreground and just visible are the Prussian flying troops with thier distinctive rotablades to the bottom left.
They landed in and around the ornamental topiary and caused widespread distress amongst the gardening staff after decimating the hedges.
The Gordan Highlanders can also just be seen defending the glasshouse, sadly they were all killed, but managed to keep the building from falling into the Prussian hands. This was crucial to the British defense.

Here is one of the Prussian Airships which inflicted many casualties due to their heavy Gattling gun armaments.Their suprisingly strong balloon structures meant it took multiple hits to finally bring down the first balloon late on friday.
This made the gardeners even more angry as the burning strucure landed right in the middle of one of the lawns, narrowly missing the Glasshouse roof. All that was left was a burnt patch of grass, some twisted wire and hot metal.

Here is the Thunderer crew in action firing on the Airship. Quickly pressed into service, this curious machine is muscle powered and armed with a massive calibre gun, designed to be used on flying machines

And the Thunderer crew fooling around for the photographer, relaxing after the battle.

So the first day drew to a close, the Prussians had received their first taste of British pluck and they did not like it. Tomorrow they would throw the full might of their army against the thinly stretched British troops. The defenders knew the reprisals would be devastating, but morale remained high.

Saturday 25th October:
The initial dispositions can be seen from this image with the Prussians massing in the foreground, note the high quantities of Steam powered heavily armoured vehicles.

Britsh Commander in Chief, Sir Sidney James Rough-Diamond, (lately returned governor of Kalibar) issued orders to his command that the best form of defence is attack and ordered all units to advance upon sighting the enemy. "We will give them a taste of the cold steel" he shouted...
In the meantime Sir Sidney retired to indulge in a spot of Tiffin. In fact he did not make it to the front line until late in the day exhausted after over indulging in too much Tiffin.

Prussian Shock troop cautiously move forward:

A member of the gallant Royal Parks Constabulary defends his position. This unit was steadfast in its defence of the gardens, armed only with several rifles, a revolver and a number of whistles, handcuffs and truncheons. They were wiped out but not before arresting a number of Heavily armed shock troops.

Here are some of the heavily armed shock troops they arrested.

The Right flank advanced under the command of Major Farquar Farquarson VC (hero of Shere Bridge) Combining a mixed force of the Middlesex regiment and the famed Bhurpa Rifles including the legendary Bhurpa Sergeant Bungdit Din of Jaksi.

The British Left flank was under the command of Admiral,The Lord Ivor Mough-Diver who rode into battle in the turret of a large steam ram, designed to crash into enemy armour. Unfortunately an early hit had disabled the Ram's drive mechanism and it remained where it started trading shots with a Prussian Tank.

A late arrival to the British left flank was Captain Bjorn Driscoles of Sax Coburg.(Cousin of the late Prince Albert) He successfully turned the Prussian advance that afternoon.

More later as our correspondents return from the field.

All figures and vehicles from the collections of Thunderchicken, Bullshott and Malamute. Buildings by Bullshott, Malamute, PMC games and Topiary by Dr De'ath.
Photos courtesy of Dr De'Ath and Grimm. :)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:55:21 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Battle for Kew - The Times 29th October 1882
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »
Wonderful stuff! Well up to the usual inspirational standard.

I'm sure all the participants had a great time.

I love that "Thunderer" gun  :-*  lol

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »
WoW this photo report is more than I expected!
Very nice game, it should have a great game for you guys! [not to mention the written report]

I wish I could be there!

Some technical questions:
1.- The gordon highlanders: which manufacturer?
2.- the thunderer: the gun is the actual kit gun or you added another gun?
3.- which is the unit size you usually have? and remind me the rules you have.

Malamute your reports are excellent, as your terrain!
Kew gardens greenhouse , brilliant idea!
argsilverson

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
An excellent game and wonderful to see the dastardly Prussians getting the drubbing they deserve!

Loved the scope of the game with the exotic imperial forces, and especially your Kew hothouse. Great stuff. So do tell how it was built. And were you playing battles by Gaslight?

Just one thought though...with the Prussians defeated who will we fight now? Think we need to start a 'potential baddies' poll.

Right, forget the paintbrushes tonight I'm off for a spot of Tiffin too.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:04 PM »
Very nice game, it should have a great game for you guys! [not to mention the written report]

I wish I could be there!

Malamute is indeed an excellent fellow in all aspects mentioned but the Kew Garden greenhouse is actually a creation by Bullshot. Capital chap, him to!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:57:00 PM by hammershield »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »

I wish I could be there!

Malamute is indeed an excellent fellow and all aspects mentioned but The Kew Garden greenhouse is actually a creation by Bullshot. Capital chap, him to!

Sorry, I missed it. No offense.
So, congratulation should go to both and all the other that contributed in this excellent game!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:52:40 PM »
Excellent stuff. Stout fella's all round. I for one am holding my manhood cheap.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »

I wish I could be there!

1.- The gordon highlanders: which manufacturer? Redoubt Enterprises Sudan Highlanders with head swaps

2.- the thunderer: the gun is the actual kit gun or you added another gun?  its a kit from Eureka Miniatures Pax Limpopo range painted by Thunderchicken

3.- which is the unit size you usually have? and remind me the rules you have. Unit size 10 figures as per Gaslight rules

Kew gardens greenhouse , brilliant idea! as built by Bullshott, yes it is beautiful

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:14 PM »
An excellent game and wonderful to see the dastardly Prussians getting the drubbing they deserve!

Loved the scope of the game with the exotic imperial forces, and especially your Kew hothouse. Great stuff. So do tell how it was built. And were you playing battles by Gaslight?,Yes we played Battles by Gaslight. I'll ask Bullshott for a how he built it article.

Just one thought though...with the Prussians defeated who will we fight now? Think we need to start a 'potential baddies' poll. Whilst the Prussians have been defeated, it will take further engagements to push them back into the Channel, the battle was won, but the war is not over. Eventually once they are defeated we will take the war all the way back to Prussia. :)
Right, forget the paintbrushes tonight I'm off for a spot of Tiffin too.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:43:22 PM by Malamute »

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:58:39 PM »
Thanks Malamute!

I asked for the highlanders, because I could not find anyone in clengarries

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »
Thanks Malamute!

I asked for the highlanders, because I could not find anyone in clengarries

Yes me neither so I had to resort to head swaps which was costly and time consuming, but worth it in the end.
The heads are from the Redoubt Zulu War medical orderlies.
I had to resort to green stuff in the end to add the ribbons, cap badges etc and had to rebuild the pipers bagpipes, so it was a tricky operation.
Why nobody does any VSF highlanders is beyond me.  :?

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »
Great report Nick. I will cross-post it onto the Yahoo GASLIGHT Group.

I'm looking forward to the next battle.

The glasshouse is based on two Pegasus Hobbies Gothic City kits - the standard Gothic City kit, supplemented by parts (an extra doorway and roof finials) from the Gothic City kit containing flying buttresses (can't remember the kit name). The glass roof section is from a model railway station roof kit. The flat part of the roof is scratchbuilt with foamcore and strip wood. I have plans to extend the whole structure upwards by one level (to include an internal walkway round the upper level) and to fill the whole glasshouse with plants as the 'Venusian House' at Kew.

The fine topiary in the gardens was the creation of LAF member Dr De'Ath.

Now that we have had VSF battles in Kew Gardens and on a golf course (see Skrapwelder's recent post), I wonder what other unlikely battlefields we will see in the future .... ;)

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »
Wimbledon? Ascot? The Siege of Royal Albert Hall during the Last Night of the Proms? Gawd, I can picture the Heavy Brass Militia just now commanded by a ample chested soprano in Britannia costume...

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
Wimbledon? Ascot? The Siege of Royal Albert Hall during the Last Night of the Proms? Gawd, I can picture the Heavy Brass Militia just now commanded by a ample chested soprano in Britannia costume...

that's the way to do something with this Britannia figure !

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
Oh dear! Do another one in 2009/2010 and I promise to bring my Martian invaders! lol