Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:06:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulping a Sea Plane (WIP).  (Read 19942 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Pulping a Sea Plane (WIP).
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
Looking great so far!  :-*
Sailors have more fun!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »
I'm liking this  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 07:04:15 PM »
It wasn't  just after took the pictures. I forgot I'd left the wings out side,and went to put the kids rabbit away heard an almighty bang,my eldest lad sat on them(and they were on a table :?)it's a good job he's just signed his papers lol.
I've put the right wing and float back together ,however I'm pretty sure I can no longer say they'll fit on to the rest of the plane first time,so it's now had its Sod's law moment.(I don't think I've ever made something that doesn't ).
Which means I might have to change the colour scheme slightly as I may have to gap fill on the right wing.only slightly ,but if so then the painting actually becomes more time consuming.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »
It depends on the model,the real plane(how deep it actually sits in the water)'and what tools you have.
But the simple low tech(and best1) is to draw the water line on each side ,glue them together ( a must as each side will flex as you cut/saw making it difficult to get the even) then cut through slightly south of your line and sand back to the line, I use a full sheet of sand paper on a flat surface and rub the whole model back and forth across the surface .its a little soul destroying as it takes a while and makes a mess,but it's simple. The important things to remember are where does the internal details fit in relation to the depth of your cut,and how close to your water lining do the wing floats sit?
This kit is easy as it has straight horizontal lines cast into the hull,That said I've ignored them and got a bit 'clever' with myself ,and dipped it of the horizontal slightly to hopefully give the impression of it bobbing up and down with the waves.The trick is only to go off level buy a couple of millimetres ,because when you add the wings the angle of the hull is dramatically increased .too much off the hull in any direction and it'll look like it's crashing and not floating .
Hope that helps
Mark.

Good details, thanks.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »
Oh sod indeed. :(

It was looking good. lol

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 01:04:41 AM »
I built a 1/56th scale seaplane with waterline platform a few years ago.  No need to modify the hull of the plane if you "build up" the water:

I used 3" plastic circle and added layers of green-stuff to form the waves, then painted and added several coats of clear gloss lacquer

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:11:04 AM by Johnnytodd »

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »
Stunning paint on the pilot and a stunning sculpt too
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:47:29 AM by TadPortly »
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
Painting slowly progressing ,weathering is in the first stage,and requires a high light.
It's looking a little grubby at this stage(especially with the 'hd' setting on the iPad)but I did say I'd show it warts and all.
The paint scheme was chosen in the end,mainly by the desire to add weathering,the checked areas were too busy to do this with and it would have looked a mess when finished.as it's still quite busy as it stands.
It's an interesting take on basing a plane,who ever it's too dynamic a pose for what I intend.Mine is to be used in games as a plot point in so far as an objective ,or starting point,so the idea is the inference of motion in the surface of the water whilst the plane is at rest, not the inferred motion of the plane.(other wise the game is chase the plane that's still airborne )

I'm glad it's going down well,and thanks for your comments.
 Mark.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 06:50:03 PM »
Ohhh! Liking that a lot! :o

I feel that he should have his arch enemy chasing him in a similarly decked out and nicely painted plane. Black with a painted white skull  over the nose.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:51:45 PM by Andym »

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 06:55:04 PM »
I also like your progress so far.

I have the 1/72nd scale Walrus and have thought what could I do with it.

Your 1/48th scale example looks fantastic and I will be following this thread with interest.

Tony

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2015, 07:08:11 PM »
Now that IS a bold scheme!  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 09:33:22 PM »
Absolutely beautiful work!  Richard

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
Ooh Mark that looks good! :-*

The pilot does look very good. You have sculpted him very well.

Question sir, do you drill holes in the plastic to poke the florist wire in? And then glue with superglue?

Cheers
Matt.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 11:51:13 PM »
Thanks everyone it's a little odd doing this kind of post as I've no idea when,or at which stage to post pictures ,when you just want to charge ahead and finish it.you sit there thinking is this a bit dull to look at,or is it rude to do a bit more and just miss out this bit and post further down the line? lol

I do drill holes and glue the wire in.but there's two ways to do the wire.
The strongest (and the biggest pain)is to bend the ends over to form a pin at each end so the diagonal has a vertical pins to go into the holes,it takes practice to measure and bend in two pins.
Now I only used this method for the pins around the engine.it took nearly two hours of profanities to get them in and to stay in.(partly because of the method and partly because I'm out of practice but mainly because I kept dropping pieces and had to make new ones)
The second method is the easiest and the fastest,bend a pin in one end of the wire forming an 'L' cut a length roughly the length of the diagonal place the pin end in one hole and let the diagonal drop into the other hole(if you cut the diagonal just past the hole and flex it back into the hole it should sit in and hold tightly)both wings and floats took less than twenty minutes to do this way(excluding drilling the holes)'
Mark.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 12:34:44 AM »
Insufficient WIP photos.  :'(

So much wonderful about this project... I could never be bored by any progress shot for something like this!

Really sorry to hear about your offspring mistaking the wing sub-assemblies for a nest and perching upon them. :o

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!