Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:11:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690920
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulping a Sea Plane (WIP).  (Read 19937 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Pulping a Sea Plane (WIP).
« on: August 07, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »
After commenting in Frams' Pulp plane topic on how I tend to use the SuperMarine Walrus in 1/48th as my starting point for pulp seaplanes,and Matt asking if I'd post an image of one I'd finished (I'd none in stock at the time).
I decided not to indirectly hijack Frams topic and do a work in progress topic rather than a finished plane picture.

(If I'm posting in the wrong place then I'm sure it'll get moved to the right one)
So here goes putting my money where my mouth is with an early stage of construction.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulping a Sea Plane (WIP).
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »
These kits have decal sheets and engraved decal placements on the plane ,so a little bit of clay rubbed in removes them easily . The crew are ,well I'm not sure what they are.so I've started o. Re sculpt the detail over the top of them.
The modelling is a little old fashioned for plastic kits.however they are ideal for gaming as they tend to have thicker parts than modern kits,This is actually a plus as they fit much more sympathetically with metal figures than more modern kits,If you view and treat them as you would a metal kit then you can't go. Wrong.
In terms of hitting your pocket this kit cost less than a third of the same model in a modern scale kit.
The only down side for me is the kit only comes with wheels down so waterlining the model is more time consuming .
As for paint schemes the first image is the scale model/historical look,which isn't quite pulp enough for me. So I'm draw to the more colourful schemes of the earlier machines.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:59:45 PM »
Oooph! That check pattern will leave you cross-eyed! o_o

Can't wait to see what you do.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »
The check pattern would be easy as the pattern is engraved into the body to represent panels ,but I torn between the two,and a combination of the two.
Mark.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:19:02 PM »
Ooh a start! Go Mark.

You sculpted that pilot on top of the plastic bobble??? A headswap right??!

The checkers would look great. 8)

Cheers
Matt

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:25:04 PM »
I have this kit, looking forward to seeing how you get on with this

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 11:48:54 PM »
Hi Matt,
As promised I've made a start. The pilot is a sculpt over the blob(no head swap all me) shortened down to 28mm(ish) there's no real detail as its in a cockpit,just a suggestion of shirt sleeves ,shorts ,life jacket etc,and a brew.scaling isn't an issue as there'll be a canopy over it so bold shapes rather than detail,and paint to hide the rest.(second picture is a bit clearer)

Mac it's not a bad kit nice and chunky,the reason for water lining the model is I've already a wheeled plane for gaming and for me a sea plane on the water is a great addition ,normally I do this kit from the box so to speak,only tweaks being a round hatch over the front ,and a metal twin vickers 'K'gun replacing the rear gun.The windows I paint over.
For this one I'm rigging it using florists wire as its likely to get picked up awkwardly due to the water lining.Its proving to be even sturdier than I hoped.
Mark.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 12:29:35 AM »
So tell me if I got this right. You sculpted that great pilot figure  :-* :-* with the brimmed hat and coffee mug over the plastic blob  o_o that looks like the Gimp from Pulp Fiction? If so my hat is off to you - what an improvement!!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 12:50:06 AM »
Yes it's over the top of a blob(if you look at the socks you can see the flash lines from the plastic).the rest of the crew I'll just do from scratch as I promised Matt they'd be different from the standard crew stances you get in the majority of kits,

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 02:49:01 AM »
Very cool.

What's your technique for the waterlining part?

I have a few seaplanes I'd like to put together, and not sure of a good way to handle that bit.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 06:51:37 AM »
It depends on the model,the real plane(how deep it actually sits in the water)'and what tools you have.
But the simple low tech(and best1) is to draw the water line on each side ,glue them together ( a must as each side will flex as you cut/saw making it difficult to get the even) then cut through slightly south of your line and sand back to the line, I use a full sheet of sand paper on a flat surface and rub the whole model back and forth across the surface .its a little soul destroying as it takes a while and makes a mess,but it's simple. The important things to remember are where does the internal details fit in relation to the depth of your cut,and how close to your water lining do the wing floats sit?
This kit is easy as it has straight horizontal lines cast into the hull,That said I've ignored them and got a bit 'clever' with myself ,and dipped it of the horizontal slightly to hopefully give the impression of it bobbing up and down with the waves.The trick is only to go off level buy a couple of millimetres ,because when you add the wings the angle of the hull is dramatically increased .too much off the hull in any direction and it'll look like it's crashing and not floating .
Hope that helps
Mark.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 10:38:57 AM »
I love seaboats and that's a cool one and your pilot resculpt is ace. Looking forward to watching your progress

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
I've had the same kit for quite a while now.  :)

You're Pilot re-sculpt is marvellous over the blobs that come with it.

I can't wait to see how you paint the little devil. May make me do mine? :D

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
Shaping up nicely. Your conversion of the pilot is excellent!
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 06:27:29 PM »
I managed to fit a bit more in today.
The wings are done this way just to make it easier to paint.
First stage of painting on the pilot and the cabin area.