Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:17:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vissy - Takes on Frostgrave  (Read 16120 times)

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Vissy - Takes on Frostgrave
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 10:09:43 PM »
I have that ice elemental and have still yet to paint him. I will e very interested to see how that turns out :). Congrats on your win.

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »
I have that ice elemental and have still yet to paint him. I will e very interested to see how that turns out :). Congrats on your win.

Appreciate Max thanks for the comment. ;)

I was quite lucky I managed to get there was very nearly called off on my end as my step father Lt. Col Ham passed earlier in the week. It was not an unexpected event he was very sick with progressive liver failure; but it still it turned the whole world on its head. He however is now at eternal rest and my mother is visibility better after the funeral this Wednesday.

Anyway that sombre note aside. I've managed into between the chaos that is my home and work life to get some work done.

Proceeded to add yet more modulation to the board in the form of some dirt areas. I white glued some fine sand down then hit each area with Badger: Minitaire Bark Brown and Earth Brown.

Then added some various tufts more on these later.

Really mixed up the nature of each and where I put them so not every piece has some.

There not very noticeable from up high though.

Now the tufts I'm using are not my normal Army Painter or miniNature not that either of those are bad at all but when you're looking at cost per tuft and you see something like these Lead Bear Tufts that are both high quality, cheap and local small business (South Australia) its hard to go past them.

Finally I actually started assembling and conversting models for the warband. I'll show off the conversion/kit bashing parts later once I get some real colour on them. For now its just basing, priming and preshading with the airbrush.

Higher shot.

I might have to source another Wight King model to see if I can't get a better pose than this one by building it myself. Unfortunately mine was pre-built from a BSS which is fine but it limited my options a little as those plastic fusing glues cannot be undone one applied and dry.

Ohh and BTW anyone know where these dogs are from?

Got them in a BSS Haqqislam deal off a mate but I have NO idea where they are from.
What I do: Chef by trade, ass by choice; but I play the following when I'm not being either.
Infinity: Haqqislam is my main and then I own ALL THE THINGS!
Frostgrave: Nec

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:35 AM »
Ruined walls are looking great!

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 08:41:55 AM »
This warband looks fantastic and the scenery's nice too.

I'd also be interested to know where these dogs (or lions) come from ...

Offline Bluesabre

• Schoolboy
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 03:38:17 PM »
The dogs look like the Hell Hound from Reaper.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/hellhound/sku-down/03609

Looks like the hounds have been convereted a tiny bit.

Great project by the way.
Buaidh no bas
Servo et Custodia

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 03:41:49 PM »
The dogs look like the Hell Hound from Reaper.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/hellhound/sku-down/03609

Looks like the hounds have been converted a tiny bit.

Yeah thats them and good eye they had being cut down and some saddles green stuffed onto them previously before I dropped them in a nice acetone bath. The original owner wanted to make some alternate Kum Bikers because he didn't like the old monobike ones.

Good to know I could get more if I needed them. Mine are white metal not that other resin they use and I refuse to deal with.

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »
So I am finally going to get to doing some work on mine tonight.  Can I ask how you went about scoring the mortar lines and distressing the corners?

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »
So I am finally going to get to doing some work on mine tonight.  Can I ask how you went about scoring the mortar lines and distressing the corners?

Of course you may happy to help.

I have actually answered this question more or less elsewhere so excuse the copy and paste.

All the tools I used are shown in that photo with the sheet on the table.

• Stanley FatMax Utility Knife which was just used for the actual cutting part.
  • Standard Metal Set Square this was a cheapy set from ALDI but it does the job.
  • Small Metal File again one of the ALDI kits where you get like 10 files of various sizes.

I used the set square to mark out 25mm (1") increments vertically did about 10 in total so I would end up with 10 x 25mm (1") high wall pieces.

Then again using the set square I marked 50mm (2") horizontally ensuring odds were offset to evens as is the norm with most brick work.

One it was all marked using the Set Square as a straight edge I scored to about 2mm deep with my little file. Its one of those ones which is like a small triangle shape which gives a nice irregular score. The foam also has a natural grain which reacts differently depending if you go with it OR against it. Thus why the horizontal scores look clean in comparison to the vertical! One I scored it all back and front I cut it into walls of 2 or 3 blocks high and of course decide how I wanted them to together. Then glue where needed I used a builders adhesive from a caulking gun cause I had an old tube to use up anyway.

Next day is when I distressed it using that same Small Metal File the back edge of my Stanley FatMax Utility Knife. I'm pretty sure I picked this up from one of my Hobby Heros Viv from Rubbish in Rubbish Out used it on his Dessert Table click HERE for the link to the youtube video.

Hope that helps Helznicht it's a pretty fast and effective way of getting a reasonable outcome. Just remember you need to seal your foam with something non-reactive like white/PVA glue or acrylic paint before use and sort of spray paint or use a foam friendly spray paint.

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »
Thanks for the walk-through!  Yeah I plan coat in thinned white glue and get a bit of fine sand sprinkled on them to give some surface so to do some quick brush highlighting.

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the walk-through!  Yeah I plan coat in thinned white glue and get a bit of fine sand sprinkled on them to give some surface so to do some quick brush highlighting.

I've done that with standard expanded foam in the paste it works really well. Adding just a touch of a contrasting colour or solid grey/black will help to ensure you can see where you are getting good coverage of your white glue solution. 

Best of luck and look forward to seeing how you fair. ;)

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »
Little update got those two hounds more or less to table top.

I'll do there bases all together with the rest of the Force to keep it consistent. I've also left the eyes undone because I need to decide what the best contrasting colour will be for the whole force. Everything will have glowing eyes to represent possessions or malice.

Probably green I think.

Also got home today from work and saw a parcel in my letter box.

I've got 2 things on order from overseas (I'm Australian Based) 1 is a warband of amazing models from Red Box Games (American Based) and the other is some very nice terrain pieces mainly treasure orientated from Ristuls Extraordinary Market (Poland Based) now normally anything from Poland takes roughly 2 or 3 weeks to arrive. The US on the other hand takes 4 to 6 weeks and since I ordered the Ristuls Extraordinary Market products first I'm am very much surprised to get my Red Box Games parcel first. Maybe I should be worried I've lost my treasure. :(

Finally I do split shifts on Monday so rather than potter around work getting NOT paid for 2 hours I went to the local variety store to look for toys to use as random encounter monsters.

Magilla Gorilla,Gorilla for sale.

I for one know I wouldn't want to take on a nearly one story Gorilla which doesn't mind a bit of man flesh.

Thats about it for now I'm soooo tired working too much with 2 jobs one as a fabour anyway you get the drift I'm in for this another 3 weeks and then anyone else who asks me to bail their kitchen out cause their Head Chef/s have left will not like my answer in return.

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 04:30:18 PM »
Stopped at my hobby buddies house on the way home tonight. He told me I needed to pick something up he had finished.

5 fully painted and based Wolves it looks like our random encounter monsters are going to be fully fleshed out it!

Love the variance in colours Mick has used and those Tundra tuft's from miniNatur are just awesome. Along side the flock snow effects.

Will be easy to pick his work from mine I'll be on round bases and painted like shit in comparison to his work on square bases. But that said I'm also like 15 years his junior and a young family man yeap that's my excuse.  :P

Also when I stopped at Mick's house to pick up those wolves he brought down his big box of minis to be worked on to show me some privateer press model's he had and in an sneaky little zip lock bag I noticed a large winged model.

Seeing my interest Mick pulled it out. Turned out to be a winged vampire lord. Which is exactly what I wanted so it's mine now had to assemble it one of my favourite undead minis will make a great addition to my evil necromancer warband.

Or

Just a great random encounter monster.

That might do it for tonight I have another early start tomorrow should really hit the sack for a few hours kip before work. :(

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 01:04:12 AM »
Although I have a LONG way to go (and actually decided to take it all the way prepping for next years expansion), a super sneak-peak at the library, using Vissy's technique (although without as much skill or patience).

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:11:42 AM by Helznicht »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 02:03:40 AM »
Great looking figures.
May I ask what company makes the wolves?
Thanks.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline VisOne

• Assistant
  • The Haqqi-salami
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 03:47:22 AM »
Although I have a LONG way to go (and actually decided to take it all the way prepping for next years expansion), a super sneak-peak at the library, using Vissy's technique (although without as much skill or patience.]

I disagree they look tops mate is an easy method that returns simple effective terrain. Besides your models help sell it as well.

May I ask what company makes the wolves?
Thanks.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they are the old orc and goblin Wolves from the chariots and Wolf riders.

Hope that helps and thanks for stopping by everyone.