Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 750
Total: 754

Recent

Author Topic: The Fabulous Art of Trudvang - Fantastic artbook arrived!  (Read 11388 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The Fabulous Art of Trudvang - Fantastic artbook coming
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 02:40:38 PM »
I'm interested. It's quite a lot to pay for a 120 page book, but if stretch goals are met it will be nearer 200 pages. Love this kind of stuff.  :-*

Too much moaning about KS already, if you don't like it, just walk away.

I'd tend to agree. ;)

I think it's a matter of ordering together in order to save on shipping ( if they allow that, i.e. ).
Love the book, but I'll pass for now on behalf of the heavy shipping costs.

There's the volume pack option that gives you five books, though postage has to be worked out for that. Still, even if you end up with a couple of books spare, I'm sure they'd go for a pretty penny on ebay. ;)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 03:26:46 PM »
Yes, but that 5-book option is only for the books, not for the extra's.  ;)
Leadhead

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
Looking at this again, there's a new, earlier stretch goal, that's apparently been reached despite the funding being just under the required SEK. Something to do with the US$ exchange rate. Aaanyway:

NEW STRETCH GOAL 30,000$

If we reach the 30.000 dollar goal we will sign and number all the books (Kickstarter exclusive) AND commit to a small print run for selected retailers globally. To balance the high shipping cost we will also make a slipcase OR a dust jacket for the book, should we reach this goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1256540796/the-fabulous-art-of-trudvang/updates

Might salve some few hurts about KS exclusives. Although, in the comments:

It will be a small print run and most likely sold to US retailers. Obviously the book will be priced much higher in retail than here.

(Told ya.)

I'll probably go for a Kickstarter copy anyway, before it ends. And this might be a long shot, but I'm willing to go in on the 5-book volume if any four other UK/Ireland LAFers fancy it. Depending on any savings. Royal Mail might not gouge much less than PostNord. (The 5-book set might not have all the non-stretch extras, but if you wanted those I'd guess you'd be all over the KS regardless of costs or group deals. ;) )

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »
I still don't get the shipping costs. A post nord eu-parcel would cost well below 10 €.

Offline RAD

• Librarian
  • "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count"The Redeemer
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 07:59:16 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the hell with the shipping cost. Illustrators are simply some of the most inspiring around and the Trudvang fantasy world seems really too cool.

This means days, weeks, .. of reading enjoyment and inspiration. I still frequently use "the art Paul Bonner" book for painting ideas and considering all the fun it gave me, I'd would have paid double its price to get it.

This one I don't want to miss.

But well, it's just me. o_o

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »
Yes the postage seems a bit high, even för Sweden, I had to pay 120 sek, 12€, and I live in Sweden  :o

But what a book it will be!  :-*

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »
Pledged! Takes it a wee bit closer to stretch goal #2, which should lessen the blow of the postage costs, if that bothers people. (prod prod ;) )

Offline qazbnm

• Librarian
    • http://qazbnmsreturn.blogspot.se
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »
And pledged here too. Lead adventure made me do it!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
45 hours to go, sailed past the 'extra content' goal. 8)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »
Looks like they have hit the extra pages target, would be nice if they updated a bit more often. More tempted now and just 44 hours to go.

EDIT Ninja'd.  :D

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: The fabulous art ... It has arrived - what a fabulous book!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »
Got my numbered copy today and I must say I'm really glad to have backed this fantastic art book despite of some high shipping costs. It's just plain beautiful, marvelous, one of the best art books I've collected in 40 years. And I have quite a collection ...  :)

What's so exceptional about this book? It's the fantastic art of the great Paul Bonner, of another maestro Alvaro Tapia and all the other artists. They show us on 224 pages (!) the believable world of Trudvang with completely original creatures, entities and inhabitants, a world of norse folk tales and dark woods, unbelievably detailed drawings and colour plates to immerse into. And thankfully not that standard fantasy crap out of a world where is only war ...

Yes, I'm deeply impressed. When I have the strong feeling and urgent need to immediately create at least half of the book's illustrations into miniature scenes and vignettes, I always know that this is a real treasure.

Thank you, Riotminds!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 04:56:20 PM by Admiral Benbow »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Re: The Fabulous Art of Trudvang - Fantastic artbook arrived!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »
Still waiting for mine, seems like ages.  ;D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 12:26:55 AM »
I've seen the emails that they're being shipped out. Good to see they're arriving.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »
I've seen the emails that they're being shipped out. Good to see they're arriving.

Despite that, I spent a few seconds scratching my head after answering the door to the postie, wondering who was sending me big book-shaped parcels from Sweden.  lol

Fantastic stuff. Very inspiring and evocative. I know that for Trudvang, it's usually "Paul Bonner! Paul Bonner! Paul Bonner!" but I'm getting a kick out of Alvaro Tapia's drawings. Whatever his actual influences, I see (or imagine) hints of Mike Mignola, Guy Davis, and even Jack Kirby in there. Just the kind of thing I like.

One thing I might've liked would be a little more text to add more context to the art. Like: what's a zvorda? Why are they so much bigger than (other?) dwarfs? What's the deal with the dog-things that the wildfolk ride? I guess I get to dig deeper and find out. :D

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 08:59:22 AM »
Got mine now. I was a little worried by the large corner dent of the parcel(something that seems to be written into the contract of every postal worker - bash those corners) but it was well packed inside and no damage to the contents. Lovely book, great art, very evocative. I did find some of the double page spreads a bit annoying, losing a band down the middle of the image, I don't like forcing books open. And a little more text would have been helpful, but I am a happy bunny.