Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Romans from Wargames Factory  (Read 12374 times)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
New Romans from Wargames Factory
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:44:04 PM »
I painted some of the new Wargames Factory plastic Romans last week. Here's a sample:

Gaius and Marcus have a chat. I hate to blow up figures much beyond actual size, because all the errors show up!  :o

Comparison shot with Warlord Games (nice but small) and Foundry's Copplestone-sculpted line.

I do all my own stunts

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: New Romans from Wargames Factory
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:48:36 PM »
I like  :-*
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »
They do look good. I wonder why Warlord Games make their Romans so small? Anyhow, the Romans from Wargames Factory look great, better that we could expect from the sprue pictures on their site.  ::)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
I like these better than the Warlord Games version.

Now all I need are the "lorica segmentata" versions and my son can have his Roman Army  :D

He's only 9, so just wants the version he's seen being worn by the Watling Street Guard.

I, on the other hand, have always wanted to do a Civil War game........  ;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »
I saw a sample box of the Wargames Factory plastics yesterday and I must say that the detail, particularly on the command sprue, was very very soft. Probably the poorest plastic figures I have seen since I was knee high and had some of those "made in Hong Kong" Airfix wannabes. Great shame as they could have been great. The Zulu Brits were a little better but I would still give them a miss myself.

Howard, yours look pretty good so perhaps they were poor examples but they had been shipped direct from WF as samples.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:23:38 PM »
You know, I thought the same thing when I saw the sprues. The plastic on the Roman seti s quite shiny, which creates a 'blurry' effect, especially on one of the four sprues.

I was initially a bit disappointed in them. After all, I work for Wargames Factory, so I want the quality to be top-notch. But then I assembled them and spray-primed them black, and they looked a lot better all round. I dry-brushed the mail, and a lot of detail became much clearer. I would say that some of the detail is not as crisp as I'd like - the straps around the shoulder pieces benefitted from a black outline to make them stand out, and the sandals are a bit mushy - but the results are as you see them.

Here's a centurion (slightly hidden by his shield) with a Copplestone (Foundry) tribune.

It's not a case of 'ah, a great painter can do wonders' because - as you'll note - I'm really a pretty average painter.

I've seen pre-productions bits of Celtic chariots and Zulus, and there's no softness of detail on them - they just plain look excellent.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
"I would not believe anything a frother says about these figures"

I take it that is meant as a dig at me.

This is not Frothers and I am not going to instigate or enter into any debate. Suffice it to say I offered my honest opinion of what I saw.

I would like to thank Howard for the honesty of his later post and leave it at that.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 10:21:31 PM »
I would not believe anything a frother says about these figures. They have been bad mouthing them before they were even made.

Now that's a bit uncalled for. :?

The main reason they were getting flak at frothers is that they (Wargames Factory) were always making up excuses not to have to show pictures of the finished physical models (only 3d renderings) instead of just coming out and admitting they didn't have them and had a delay in their schedule (as they eventually had to do). Well, that and the fact that some people just hate plastic whoever makes it. ;)

Regardless, if I was into Romans, I'd probably get a box, just to play around a bit with them or use as conversion fodder.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:07:28 AM »
oh... right.  lol

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 12:17:09 PM »
I don't think so.

While it's true Kev or Bob don't seem to be able to do much wrong there, it's an overgeneralisation to say only there stuff gets good reviews. Loads of other stuff that doesn't get trashed either.

Regardless, I don't come here to debate or defend frothers. I don't think these plastics are as good as they could be, but like I said, I'd still get a box if I was into the subject. That'll have to do. ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
I would not believe anything a frother says about these figures.

Agreed, this isn't Frothers, mate.  :-[

Personally, if I was going to do plastic I would go for the Warlord mini's because I agree that the Wargames Factory figures not only lack sufficient detail but more importantly, the Wargames Factory figures just don't look anatomically correct.  They seem to have stubby legs.

However, if I really wanted to do Romans, I would buy Foundry.  I have a huge batch of their Republic Romans and they are superb.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
Personally, having now taken a look at both the Warlord and Wargames Factory Romans, I can't honestly say I'm impressed with either of them. They both lack the crispness of detail you get on metal figures, and which the Perrys appear to have managed to achieve on their plastic ACW and French Napoleonics.

And the Victrix British Napoleonics look in a class apart - although we have yet to see them in the flesh of course...

Will be interesting to see in the long run who gets this plastic thing right, and who doesn't quite hit the mark...

Offline Pulper

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 03:49:57 PM »
"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ankles."

Best statement I´ve read about these figs and it comes from TMP.
We want so much when we need so little. But the illumined man wants for nothing.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 04:17:06 PM »
I'll wait for the Celts, and considering the WF Romans are bigger than the WG ones, the WF might be giants, going by the computer generated images.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »
I think the Warlord Romans are smaller as they are scaled to fit nicely with the older Foundry Romans.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com