Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Introducing Frostgrave to a six year-old?  (Read 3607 times)

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
Introducing Frostgrave to a six year-old?
« on: August 22, 2015, 10:56:32 PM »
My plan is to introduce my six year-old daughter to the game using a fairly stripped-down version of the rules, and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions about how I should approach it? To start with we're not going to have a campaign mode, it'll just be stand-alone scenarios. I'm also going to cut down the warbands to five or six figures each, with just a wizard (no apprentice), four basic infantry soldiers, and one archer each. I'm also going to cut down the number of spells each wizard has, to probably three basic ones (all from that wizard's school, so no penalties for casting other types). If all that goes well, we can start thinking about upping the numbers in the warbands, increasing the number of spells etc., and take it from there.

She's really enjoyed helping make the scenery, and she even 'painted' her own wizard model. She's perfectly good for her age with adding and subtracting for those crucial dice rolls, but I'm a bit worried that she'll lose interest once the rules come into play, even in their stripped-down version. If it all goes wrong I suppose I'll just have to patiently wait a year or so, until she's old enough to better grasp the basics! Any other suggestions will be much appreciated though.

(I was thinking of playing In Her Majesty's Name with her, but try explaining alternate history to a child who doesn't even understand what the real Victorian age is ... )

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Introducing Frostgrave to a six year-old?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 11:14:24 PM »
Me and my daughter have been playing a very simple skirmish game with just soldiers (no magic to confuse her with) and just d6s with highest role winning.we'll soon be progressing to frostgrave with a stripped down version like you so I'll be interested to hear how you get on

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 11:18:06 PM »
Me and my daughter have been playing a very simple skirmish game with just soldiers (no magic to confuse her with) and just d6s with highest role winning.we'll soon be progressing to frostgrave with a stripped down version like you so I'll be interested to hear how you get on

That's a good idea just using the highest roll to win, rather than adding modifiers for weapons etc. I might try that to start with and see how we get on. Spell-wise I was thinking of giving her two basic 'attack' type spells, plus one slightly more abstract one, otherwise I think it'll be too confusing.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »
Yeah I think 3 spells would be a good starting point.you mentioned not using a campaign system but are you still using treasure tokens or is it more of a fight it out game you're going for?

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 12:16:53 AM »
Yeah I think 3 spells would be a good starting point.you mentioned not using a campaign system but are you still using treasure tokens or is it more of a fight it out game you're going for?

Yes, we'll still use treasure tokens - I think that'll give the game a good objective so it's not just a straight fight (which I don't think she'd like!)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »
I introduced my son to IHMN when he was 8 years-old. I wasn't sure he was ready for it either in terms of picking up the rules and tactics or if it'd keep his attention for the duration...but neither was a problem. In fact, I was surprised at how quickly he picked the rules up. He now routinely beats his poor old man (he's now 9 years-old).

In fact, he was so taken with IHMN that he spent hours in his room making up his own Companies with his Star Wars figures and Toy Soldiers! He's now also played some Lion Rampant while Frostgrave, Otherworld, SAGA and Dead Man's Hand are all on the to-play list. Seeing how easily he picked up the rules and tactics I just wish I had tried to introduce him to gaming earlier. My only advice would be to play up the story/narrative side of things as you're playing, helping to fire their imagination.

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice wulfgar22 - I've been reading your superb blog for hints and tips! I haven't played any wargames for years and years, so when I heard about Frostgrave I thought it would be a good way to get back into it myself, and, because none of my friends are interested in the hobby, a good way not only of getting my daughter interested in it too, but of providing myself with a ready-made opponent. Hopefully if she gets bitten the bug I can introduce her to other stuff, like IHMN and especially Saga, which I'm dying to play!

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 06:25:01 PM »
There are another couple of blogs I can think of offhand where young kids have been introduced to wargaming: Riotville introduced his young 'un to Lego Mordheim and Tom's Toy Soldiers has introduced his young 'uns to WH40k and more recently Frostgrave. Both fun reads!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:30:29 PM by wulfgar22 »

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 07:21:34 PM »
I'll take a look, thanks!

Offline Ferkitt

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 07:44:53 PM »
 For the demo games at the show's. We did a cut down version with a wizard and three soldiers a side. Two men at arms and an archer. We limited the wizard to three spells.
This went down really well with peoples kids who then proceeded to pick the game up really quickly and generally wipe the floor with the adults  :D
Chocolate coins for treasure helped a lot too.
Acceptance
Call it what you want. They\'re still toy soldiers, and you\'re still playing with them.

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 10:42:33 PM »
For the demo games at the show's. We did a cut down version with a wizard and three soldiers a side. Two men at arms and an archer. We limited the wizard to three spells.
This went down really well with peoples kids who then proceeded to pick the game up really quickly and generally wipe the floor with the adults  :D
Chocolate coins for treasure helped a lot too.

Chocolate coins is a great idea! I'm already too advanced making my tokens out of (unused) GW 30mm bases though ...

Bands of four or five and a wizard with a handful of spells seems to be the way to go, I think she'd have no problem controlling that kind of number.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 01:34:56 PM »
I played Frostgrave with my six-year-old son a few weeks ago; he loved it. We used the full rules, but I selected his spells for him (and they were all "on field" ones). I explained what they did beforehand.

He's a Song of Blades and Heroes veteran (I got him the rules for his sixth birthday last year, and they proved a huge hit), so the skirmish-gaming concept was nothing new. We also play variations on the SBH "treasure hunt" scenario, so the treasure-gathering focus was familiar too. And the opposed rolls were also well established through games of SBH - with Frostgrave's twenty-sided dice an added attraction.

The game went very well, and he made good use of his spells (especially Wizard's Eye): better than I did, in fact. He's keen to play again.

So, for a small child with a grounding in skirmish games, I don't think Frostgrave presents many problems, though the subtleties of the spell book will probably lose out to offensive spells. For establishing that grounding, SBH, with its two stats and D6s throughout, is easier, I'd think. Any other simple system would do the trick too. And then Frostgrave can provide a magic-heavy alternative. I think the wide swing of d20 rolls adds an attraction of its own for kids.

There is certainly much more paperwork in Frostgrave, and the set-up time is much longer than the other skirmish games we've played. But once you've got it all laid out, with the available spells clearly indicated, it all seems to work pretty well.

Offline richstrach

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »
He's a Song of Blades and Heroes veteran (I got him the rules for his sixth birthday last year, and they proved a huge hit), so the skirmish-gaming concept was nothing new. We also play variations on the SBH "treasure hunt" scenario, so the treasure-gathering focus was familiar too. And the opposed rolls were also well established through games of SBH - with Frostgrave's twenty-sided dice an added attraction.

I've had my eye on SBH as we'll actually, I might explore that avenue too. The only rules-based game we've ever played is Top Trumps though, but I'm sure she'll pick up the basics.