Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686506
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help finding an old citadel colour paint equivalent  (Read 5542 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Help finding an old citadel colour paint equivalent
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »
Watching this thread with interest since I too will run out of nice reddish burnt umber Scorched Brown at some point, though I don't use it for skin so much, more as a very very useful not-black. As has been pointed out, it has odd characteristics. It tends to dry with little red tone, but when mixed in small quantities with other colours as a darkening agent, the red tone seems to come out and matter a lot more.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
Watching this thread with interest since I too will run out of nice reddish burnt umber Scorched Brown at some point, though I don't use it for skin so much, more as a very very useful not-black. As has been pointed out, it has odd characteristics. It tends to dry with little red tone, but when mixed in small quantities with other colours as a darkening agent, the red tone seems to come out and matter a lot more.

It's magic! The holy grail of brown paint!

Well, to me at least.

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 04:40:07 AM »
I work in a game store, and just went through the Vallejo and GW racks. The closest is Rhinox Hide. It is not quite as dark, but it is a GW base, it will cover black well. In Vallejo, their Game Color Dark Flesh and Model color Hull Red have warm red color you are seeking, but both (they are almost exactly the same!) are a lighter brown. I have not tried mixing any of these color to see how they work with others.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 05:00:33 AM »
I switched to Rhinox and it's a pretty close match.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 05:33:48 AM »
I find it weird how a number of the new GW paints are very nearly duplicates. For instance Ushtabi Bone and Screaming Skull look damn near identical.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 08:01:39 AM »
I work in a game store, and just went through the Vallejo and GW racks. The closest is Rhinox Hide. It is not quite as dark, but it is a GW base, it will cover black well. In Vallejo, their Game Color Dark Flesh and Model color Hull Red have warm red color you are seeking, but both (they are almost exactly the same!) are a lighter brown. I have not tried mixing any of these color to see how they work with others.

Thank you!

I switched to Rhinox and it's a pretty close match.

Thank you!

Ok, I think I'll go for Rhinox Hide, and also one of the Vallejo reddish browns mentioned above. I can always use both if neither are a match - basecoat with Rhinox, and use the red-brown for mixing with flesh.

Very helpful everyone!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 08:45:53 AM »
I find it weird how a number of the new GW paints are very nearly duplicates. For instance Ushtabi Bone and Screaming Skull look damn near identical.

A lot of paint manufacturers have the same in their ranges... Never understood it either!  ???

Very helpful everyone!

Just one more! Here is a link to a step-by-step painting guide that shows the Vallejo Chocolate brown, but also Vallejo Military Colours Flat Brown - I think Flat Brown looks promising for having that elusive red hue!