Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:58:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The beginning...of the end  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
The beginning...of the end
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:13:15 PM »
For years my best gaming buddy has been my teenage son - Vikings, Crusaders, the odd bit of 40k, Blood Bowl, great time together and a great excuse to spend money!  Sadly that has waned in the last 18 months so I'm looking for a new adventure together.   After watching Mad Max, playing Fallout and other stuff recently, the call of PA gaming is strong.

As always, LA Forums provide lots of great inspiration.  I was wondering if there was a handy list of model and terrain manufacturers to help build and populate my rad wastes?

thanks in advance!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: The beginning...of the end
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 10:15:28 PM »
Great to see that youngsters still have the call! :D

For sons of war i've seen a magistral work done with Wargames Factory woodland indians quite modded... i suppose it was Phil who did them?

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:39:35 PM »
The sticky thread of fallout miniatures is a great place to start, lots of different mini ranges in there and many are easily transferable to the mad max universe.

Stand outs are obviously em4 and Hasslefree.

There is a mad max kickstarter on now which will close in 4 days you may want to get in on. "28mm Wasteland survivors" (see Google or thread in post apocalypse board)

I'd also check out the old west board for desert terrain inspiration. Mason has a great town "upsheet creek", and Capt Blood / Silent Invader have Donga 'Boer/Zulu' boards which are very pretty.

Cheers
Matt

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »
There are so many sources for PA models Tas;  That's what makes it so much fun.  This is your chance to just go hog wild on where your acquisitions come from.  Most manufacturers and ranges are fair game.  There are some dedicated PA ranges out there but just about anything goes with a bit modification.  If I made one suggestion consider grabbing a pack of wargames factory survivors (either gender).  This kit will give you a great supply of modern weapons to spread across whatever models you want to "apocalize" even if you don't like the models themselves.  They are decent models though so hopefully that wouldn't be the case.  Either of those kits is a real bargain for what they will allow you to do.

Offline Tas

• Mad Scientist
  • A keen eye for the ridiculous
    • The Man Cave
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think that one aspect of PA that really appeals to me is the creativity of scratch building PA terrain and scenery.  I'm constantly amazed and impressed with the creativity of people and how they repurpose materials into something completely different to its actual purpose.

I'm in the US until the end of the year so I'm planning on using that time to build up a stash of goodies and save the postage costs when I get home (no, I know that won't work on the Mrs but that's fine for self-delusion).  What I'm looking for are all the good resin/plastic goodies to get me started on street scene terrain so we'll have something to fight over.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:51:10 PM by Tas »