Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:54:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686634
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for Larger Battles?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Amonglions

• Bookworm
Rules for Larger Battles?
« on: September 22, 2015, 05:27:02 AM »
Hey people,

I'm wondering if you could point me in the direction of a ruleset for larger battles. My thoughts are to have 50-100 figures a side.

I was picturing Local Law Enforcement / National Guard / Militia types being led by representatives of suitable Government Agencies in the fight against local Cultists and various supporting Mythos Creatures.

I haven't really found anything like this out there, was wondering if you guys were using anything for this, maybe I'm the only one thinking of it at this level.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
Re: Rules for Larger Battles?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:01:01 AM »
I was thinking of something similar for my long planned BPRD game. Special Agents of the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence Vs. various monsters. The only thing that was pointed out to me was Savage Worlds: Showdown and for me to just make my own army lists. You may want to look at Matakishi's Tea House. He has done a game called Hellfire about Soldiers and Monsters fighting for control of gates. He uses a ruleset originally made for WW2 games but the name currently eludes me. I was also thinking of using Bolt Action because the rules are very simple and then mashing in elements from Pulp Alley.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 02:12:44 AM »
Pulp Alley has an expansion for "Gangs", and we generally play the game as Us vs Them teams rather than everyone in a free for all. Works well.
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Amonglions

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »
Pulp Alley has an expansion for "Gangs", and we generally play the game as Us vs Them teams rather than everyone in a free for all. Works well.

How many figures do you manage to get on a table? How long do the games typically last?

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
Typically we have up to 10 figures of adventurers facing 20 to 30 bad guys, sometimes more.

Offline Amonglions

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 03:31:17 AM »
I was thinking of something similar for my long planned BPRD game. Special Agents of the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence Vs. various monsters....

Oh yes, BPRD! Now we're talking.

I had seen what Matakishi had done with Crossfire, I think it was Crossfire, making it into Hellfire. I like the looks of it, but I'm not a huge fan of Crossfire.

I was thinking to play around with I Aint Been Shot Mum, try and see if the card activation could really bring the Mythos elements out. Add some additional powers to the Big Men as well supernatural event cards. The Mythos creatures could almost take the place of vehicles, with a certain number of strike dice. Ok, I'm kinda liking this already. I think adding some kind of Terror / Fear causing element to the Mythos creatures would be essential though, so that would require a few playtests to get right.

To my shame, I have yet to play Pulp Alley, I really need to get on that.

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
Modiphius are finally getting around to releasing their 28mm Achtung Cthulhu Skirmish game. Its based on Dystopian Wars apparently, but I'm not familiar with the rule set. They will likely have rules and stats for the Lovecraftian monsters and it should be easy enough to update the WW2 soldier and vehicle stats to a modern day setting if needed, or strip some of the kit back for a 1920's setting.

Offline lugiber

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 09:15:32 PM »
Sandy Petersen is working on a Cthulhu based skirmish game that will be released (on kickstarter) next year.
But I guess you'll have to wait a bit until you'll be able to play that.

Offline Tsu

• Assistant
  • Cultist of the Ape
    • Strange Aeons G+ Community
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 11:05:03 PM »
Sandy Petersen is working on a Cthulhu based skirmish game that will be released (on kickstarter) next year.
But I guess you'll have to wait a bit until you'll be able to play that.

Source plz`?