Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy figs and terrain for SobH, KOW etc - 2nd cottage Finished!  (Read 31766 times)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - Some wildlife
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »
Completed Graveyard

This is finally finished and and I'm very happy with how it has come out.

I textured the base with caulk/grit and then flocked it with some different types of flock. I finished it off with some light airbrushing on the flock and bottom of the walls. I added a open grave and I might add a removeable skeleton from Wargames Factory, in the open grave. I added some dead leaves which were ground up from actual leaves.

The tree was covered with caulk and some cut up coconut fibres, which were glued onto the branches. Then I painted the tree and spray-glued the ends of the branches, and added some crushed dead leaves to the ends. Finally I sprayed it again with glue and a little bit of Noch olive coloured leaves.

I didn't want to mount the tree permanently onto the base mostly for transportation reasons, so I came up with an idea to keep the tree separate. The tree has all the roots bent outwards to provide a bit of a base and around the base where the tree is mounted, I glued a piece of hoop shaped wire down. The idea is that the tree will slide under the wire and that will stop it moving or falling over. I disguised the wired by spraying it brown and sprinkling a mix of flock on it and on the ground around the base of the tree.

Enjoy

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - Graveyard done
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2015, 10:36:27 AM »
What an amazingly chsracterful piece of scenery. Well done. Thanks for sharing

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
SPOOKY!...I wonder what scared off the grave digger. That did turn out WONDERFULLY. It has the feel of an often neglected old family cemetery. The Creepy Tree finishes off the piece SPLENDIDLY. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Holy crap that look super good !

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »
Great stuff!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2015, 07:30:09 PM »
Fantastic, well done!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mr Vampire

• Bookworm
  • May or may not be wearing pants.
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2015, 09:50:44 PM »
Looks great, a very nice piece of scenery. Well executed.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2015, 07:16:26 AM »
Reaper Bones Stone Giant
I painted this model up as a normal Giant before I realised it was a Stone Giant (I found out after searching for images to help paint some of the details) ! Anyway, it is a great model that has painted up very well. Its not obvious that is meant to be a stone giant.

Something went a bit funny with the paint as it cracked in the recesses (perhaps I forgot to wash it and there was still some residue). I went over the flesh again but with the same results only slightly less noticeable.

Cheers
Kieran

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - Giant added 29/11
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2015, 07:01:02 AM »
Progress has slowed down with the Christmas season approaching however i have found some time to for some new items.

Stone Circle
I found these in a box of old stuff. They are from some old 25mm Grenadier boxed sets from a "Giant Club" they released in the 80s. These were some of the first wargames figures I brought as I could go to the local book/toy shop and buy them. I sold the Giants off (which I now regret) but kept some of the bits and pieces they came with. So I based them up on some washers and repainted them. Nice, simple and useful.

Well
I wanted to make a well as a unit filler for my future Skaven army and based this on a 60x60mm base, but I like the well a lot and I will use it as a stand-alone piece instead. The stone part was made the same way as my earlier stone walls and the roof is made from card tiles. The supports are Balsa wood and I initially stuck on some card for metal supports but then I peeled them off and will readd them later (if you were wondering what the funny card bits are).

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - Scenics bits added 12/12
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »
SPLENDID ADDITIONS! Giant, Standing Stones, AND ESPECIALLY the LOVELY well are all VERY WELL DONE!

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - Scenics bits added 12/12
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »
The well looks like a simple yet genious idea for scenery.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - Scenics bits added 15/12
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2015, 10:14:40 AM »
Hi all

I've finished a few more walls and this batch has a bit more variety with the designs. The techniques I used are the same as on page 1 of this thread, and for the gate I made it from balsa wood. These have come out great and they give me a decent amount of walls now (over 3ft)

Meanwhile my next batch of Reaper Bones figures are putting up some strong resistance to being finished!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - Scenics bits added 15/12
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »
I'm back after some holidays and much consumption of wine. After dipping my toes into the proverbial fantasy terrain making water, I've decided to jump in and start something bigger.

A lot of my fantasy inspiration comes from the terrain making articles in the old White Dwarfs and GW making terrain books. So I've decided to start with a classic building I first saw in WHFB 3th edition - the abbey of La Maisontaal.

I tracked down the Citadel journal online which has the original scenario and card printout. Based on this I have started a slighter larger version but with the same shape.

I got some free time so I cut the basic shapes out of foamboard and this was pretty quick. I made the corners so they overlap each other (kind of a half-lap joint) to give it some more strength and made the internal part larger so I can figures inside if I want.

I made the abbey ground's walls and ruined tower, and I plan to keep these separate and modular, for storage purposes and so they can be used for other things

Next I started adding card to the window and door frames for the stone detailing. I cut some square holes for the exposed timber beams, and I added a ramp to the side of the abbey (which looks like some sort of delivery entrance). Also some supports were added as the building has 2 levels.

And then work began on the roof for the enclosed part of the abbey. The roof will have card tiles and I wanted a strong structure so I used some black card, which the tiles will be glued onto. Also I started on the wooden beams but I didnt really think this through and didnt cut them long enough so I had to add extra pieces. Also I dont know how I will be able to remove the roof!  :?

Aside from my mistakes I really like how this is working out, and it will be useful of large battle and skirmish
gaming.

EDIT: I just noticed in the photo I found from the WHFB rules there is a another building on the left, which is not part of the original model!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - La Maisontaal started
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2016, 09:39:19 AM »
Very nice. Should look great when you slap some paint on it.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fantasy warbands for SobH, Frostgrave, KOW etc - La Maisontaal started
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
Thanks, I need to add lots more details first and texture the walls..