Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690908
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Scottish Vehicle Collection  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
My Scottish Vehicle Collection
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:43:49 AM »
Foreword: Donald Where's Your Troosers?  lol

In days gone by I had no problems playing with unpainted or just basecoated models. But lately I got really fretted about this. Everyone else around me has really good looking minis and armys at the gaming table. But my Army always stood out; not because my Minis were good looking but rather more for beeing GREY or at least BASECOATED (in bright brown, which doesn't make it better, does it?  :? )

Playing a lot of Bolt Action recently, I gathered all my painting stuff, put aside my Wild West Models and started to finish off my army. Now I am able to field a fully painted 800 Points Army including Vehicles, AT Guns and some Infantry Models.
There is still some more work to do on a bunch of models but it feels really good to have at least a small fully painted force 8)

Convoi:
Foreword: I'm playing a half-fictional Troop of scottish Royal Engineers belonging to the 274th Filed Company Royal Engineers, 51st (Highland) Infantry Division. Each Models wears the scottish flag on its uniform (that's one of the more fictional parts  lol). I love Engineering Vehicles so I tried to let the whole Engineering and siege theme influence the overall look of my army.

Close Ups:
Churchill AVRE 'Loch Ness'
Although the real 'Loch Ness' was destryed during the battle of Gold Beach I had to include this one in my army for two Reasons: First: It's a tank in actual scottish use. Second: It has a really nasty Howitzer 8-)

Daimler Armoured Car. In short words: I love british Armoured Cars! And I need more. MORE!

Humber Scout Car (just love it how it works in game terms)

Bedford QLT MWD (sorry for misspelling!) 15cwt Truck. Perfect for Arifield or Engineering Service: Perfect Vehicle for my Royal Engineers 8-)

6pdr AT-Gun:
This one is actually a rework. The AT-Gun has been the first (and only) model I've painted for Bolt Action. Recently I have cut off its Crew to glue them on extra bases. This makes it easier to remove casualties (and works perfectly to display an abandoned Gun!

More Pictures:

imgur.com/a/RjhDW

Greetings!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:05:25 PM by Yggdrasil »

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
Re: My Scottish Vehicle Collection
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »
nice job  :)
it's 28mm ?

were did you found your bedford truck ?
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
Looking really good. I really like the vegetation too, who makes those uses and plants?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »
Thank You :)

Quote from:  lou passejaire
nice job  Smiley
it's 28mm ?

were did you found your bedford truck ?

You are right, it is mainly 28mm. Although the Vehicles vary in scale and size!

The Bedford is actual an 1:48 scale model kit sold by Airfix http://www.airfix.com/us-en/bedford-mwd-light-truck.html From the historical point this Vehicle served mainly as an Airfield Support or Engineering Vehicle during Late War (i.e. transporting different kinds of tools). But it was firstly designed as Troop Transport during early war (it was introduced 1940 but as the war went on there was a much greater need for bigger transports. The already built Bedford MWDs were sent to Special Air Service and Engineering Supply Chains).

For Completeness:

The Armoured Cars are sold by Warlord Games (i would say it's scale is something like 1:56?!).
The Churchill is a Die-Cast Corgi Tank (1:50) with an alternative turret (sold by quarter-kit.com, its a french modelling supply shop with lots of awesome stuff for 1:72, 1:48, 1:50 and 1:35 scales )

Quote from: FramFramson
Insert Quote
Looking really good. I really like the vegetation too, who makes those uses and plants?
Thank You very much. As using a variety of different hobby supplies I don't know which vegetation you mean in particular but I think it could be helpful if I explain how I make those kind of bases:

Step 1: Texture the Base with PVA Glue, Sand and a little bit of Vallejos White Pummice (I use it mainly for dirt, mud and Roads)
Step 2: Paint it in Brown tones.
Step 3: After painting and drybrushing the textured base with different brown and grey colors I glue different Gras Tufts sold by MiniNatur (I think the company's name is Silhouette) on place. http://www.miniaturicum.de/index.php?cPath=900_1077. It is very important to scatter those tufts wide and mix up different colors and 'gras styles' as well, this makes it more realistic looking.  This stuff is a little bit expensive, but the results are just awesome! You have as little work as possible (take off one of those Tufts from the foliage and glue it in space. It is quite amazing!)
Step 4: Than I coat most parts of the still brown base with PVA and sprinkle it with this stuff http://www.noch.de/de/streugras-waldboden-2-5-mm-08157.html. I mix it up with a little bit of this one http://www.amazon.de/Noch-08440-Streumaterial-Braun/dp/B0000WP4J0 for making it darker
Step 5: With the gras finished I add different small Trees and bushes. Mostly I make them by adding foilage to 'Meerschaum'. The dark long gras is sold by Noch, too.  It is called 'Feldgras'.
Additionally I use some 'leave texturing' a friend gave me some time ago. But I don't know which company make these :-(

By the way: Sorry for all those german-hyperlinks. I don't know the international names of those products  :? But I hope this helps. If you have still questions to particular vegetation please feel free to ask. I'll do my best to figure out where I've bought it.

Greetings.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:17:01 PM by Yggdrasil »

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 05:30:16 PM »

The Bedford is actual an 1:48 scale model kit sold by Airfix http://www.airfix.com/us-en/bedford-mwd-light-truck.html

thanks , i'm affraid it will be a bit too big with morris 15cwt ...
i'm looking for this vehicle as it was massively supplied to, and used by the Free French in Tchad , LRDG style  :)

Offline Yggdrasil

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »
I think this might be the early version of the MWD.
The scale of the Airfix Kit doesn't really fit for 28mm. But you have all Options you need to built it up in 3 different versions (including early war version very similar to the second Pic that you have posted).
here you can see both Versions you can build with the Airfix Kit (the third version would be some kind of mix of both.)

Pic found on the internet:

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »
Thank You :)

You are right, it is mainly 28mm. Although the Vehicles vary in scale and size!

The Bedford is actual an 1:48 scale model kit sold by Airfix http://www.airfix.com/us-en/bedford-mwd-light-truck.html From the historical point this Vehicle served mainly as an Airfield Support or Engineering Vehicle during Late War (i.e. transporting different kinds of tools). But it was firstly designed as Troop Transport during early war (it was introduced 1940 but as the war went on there was a much greater need for bigger transports. The already built Bedford MWDs were sent to Special Air Service and Engineering Supply Chains).

For Completeness:

The Armoured Cars are sold by Warlord Games (i would say it's scale is something like 1:56?!).
The Churchill is a Die-Cast Corgi Tank (1:50) with an alternative turret (sold by quarter-kit.com, its a french modelling supply shop with lots of awesome stuff for 1:72, 1:48, 1:50 and 1:35 scales )
Thank You very much. As using a variety of different hobby supplies I don't know which vegetation you mean in particular but I think it could be helpful if I explain how I make those kind of bases:

Step 1: Texture the Base with PVA Glue, Sand and a little bit of Vallejos White Pummice (I use it mainly for dirt, mud and Roads)
Step 2: Paint it in Brown tones.
Step 3: After painting and drybrushing the textured base with different brown and grey colors I glue different Gras Tufts sold by MiniNatur (I think the company's name is Silhouette) on place. http://www.miniaturicum.de/index.php?cPath=900_1077. It is very important to scatter those tufts wide and mix up different colors and 'gras styles' as well, this makes it more realistic looking.  This stuff is a little bit expensive, but the results are just awesome! You have as little work as possible (take off one of those Tufts from the foliage and glue it in space. It is quite amazing!)
Step 4: Than I coat most parts of the still brown base with PVA and sprinkle it with this stuff http://www.noch.de/de/streugras-waldboden-2-5-mm-08157.html. I mix it up with a little bit of this one http://www.amazon.de/Noch-08440-Streumaterial-Braun/dp/B0000WP4J0 for making it darker
Step 5: With the gras finished I add different small Trees and bushes. Mostly I make them by adding foilage to 'Meerschaum'. The dark long gras is sold by Noch, too.  It is called 'Feldgras'.
Additionally I use some 'leave texturing' a friend gave me some time ago. But I don't know which company make these :-(

By the way: Sorry for all those german-hyperlinks. I don't know the international names of those products  :? But I hope this helps. If you have still questions to particular vegetation please feel free to ask. I'll do my best to figure out where I've bought it.
Ah, it was the little seafoam branches I was wondering about (I already use MiniNatur tufts, :D). Thanks!
Greetings.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 01:15:33 AM »
The Bedford ,Ant,and Morris,are simple builds in 28mm(the Bedford being the easiest )depending on your skills roughly a six hour build ,lve just a train model to finish,which is a personal project so once this is finished I could run you through one or all as the back end in 28mm is more or less the same for all three,
I was intent on doing a couple for my own collection last month but I got sidetracked building a fire engine.so if your up for scratch building Let me know.
Mark.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
i have 2 unbuild chieftain models ANT 15cwt , i'll try to do something  ;)