Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:24:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690756
  • Total Topics: 118347
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Anglo Danes- More Command Bases- UPDATED P.15- 28-02-2023  (Read 34905 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Well done. Wherever or however you have managed it, they are still good work.

Cheers Tactalvanic

More important is you managed to do them. I for one am glad to see the quality of your work, even if you feel they are not your best, you will improve them further.

Keep finding your strength.

I have to say, it was an uphill struggle. There are a number of factors "getting in the way" but not being able to actually go to the club (or event/show) and play a game for such a prolonged period is definitely one of the big ones. I love painting but painting alone, although a large part of the hobby for me, is not enough in itself to provide the impetus to keep the brushes going.

It's a real struggle at them moment.

Always look forward to seeing your work, even if I don't always comment, you are one of the inspiring people on this forum, with your skill with your brush, your sharing of tips and techniques, knowledge of your subject matter and more.

Thank you- that is really very much appreciated. I don't quite know what to say as there is such a large array of tip top talent on this forum alone.

Look forward as always to what you do next

More Anglo Danes  :)

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
My own depression can mean I have no impetus to paint despite loving it. What does help is to have a look at stuff I did in the past to realise I can still do it ;-) All power to you fella!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
My own depression can mean I have no impetus to paint despite loving it. What does help is to have a look at stuff I did in the past to realise I can still do it ;-) All power to you fella!

Thanks Psychic Bob. :)

It's not just depression- I won't go into things now as this is not the place to elaborate. I'll try to PM later you if I may?

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
Sure thing mate

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Have you tried remote gaming? I’ve quite enjoyed setting up a game, and having the players at the other end of Google Meet / Teams / Zoom call - giving their orders and rolling their dice.

I’m less enamoured with being a player on a remote game - but its better than nothing. I think hosting works better for me as I get to get my figures out on the table, and get the visual and tactile bit that is the whole point of gaming with figures. The players over Zoom adds the social aspect.

I definitely find that having a game or two immediately triggers me wanting to paint more stuff - just painting stuff on the expectation to use it a some indeterminate point in the future is much less motivating to me.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Have you tried remote gaming? I’ve quite enjoyed setting up a game, and having the players at the other end of Google Meet / Teams / Zoom call - giving their orders and rolling their dice.

I haven't. I kept meaning to when the pandemic first descended upon us all but just kept throwing myself into my painting!  o_o The irony is not lost on me  o_o .

The problem now, as most are able to return to something very near their pre pandemic normal no one seems to be putting remote games on  :-[

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Atheling's Anglo Danes- Second Rank Page 12- UPDATE 27/04/2022
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2022, 11:35:47 AM »
And more.....

Still not quite back in the rhythm of things with the brush but definitely an improvement on my output of late.

The second rank of the 24 man unit of Huscarls ands Fyrd including the command figures.

More pictures from various angles can be seen on my blog here:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/04/more-anglo-danes.html

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 11:39:02 AM by Atheling »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2022, 10:10:38 AM »
Lovely figures Darrell  8)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2022, 11:06:47 AM »
Lovely figures Darrell  8)

Cheers Richard  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
More Anglo Danes- Fyrd Second Rank 07-05-2022

For more pictures of the miniatures from various angles please hop on over to my Just Add Water blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/05/more-anglo-danes-fyrd-second-rank.html

It took more time than I would have liked to complete this batch (the old Black Dog persisting) but here's the second rank of the Select Fyrd to go with fifth Anglo Danish unit.

This army has been a bit of a labour of love. It must be way over a year, perhaps two since I started to put the thing together! Anglo Danes are an army that I have always wanted to put together with the requisite attention they deserves. It took more time than I would have liked but here's the second rank of the Select Fyrd to go with fifth Anglo Danish unit- the first two ranks of Huscarls can be seen HERE and HERE

Anglo Danes are an army I have long wanted to put on the table going back to when I first faced off against John Glass's (RIP) Anglo Saxons in the heady days of Warhammer Ancient Battles at the Edinburgh club SESWC. Also many a game played at Warhammer World in the 1066 and All That Warhammer Ancient Battles campaign weekend, in particular Big Jim's Mercians, an army that gobbled up my Normans in short shrift! Great days that will always be remembered.

I have six more Select Fyrd mini's to finish n from the six miniatures here before I can start messing around with the composition of the unit. I have tried to make it so that my Anglo Danish units in particular look like they are fighting in a Shieldwall with a nod to some of much of the battle the imagery on the Bayeux Tapestry.

The keen eyed among you you will notice that there is a right old mix of manufacturers. Some very out of production Gripping Beast models going back to when Duncan and Colin were sculpting in Milliput, Gripping Beast models from the early 2000's, and more recent Soapy sculpts also from Gripping Beast. Added to these are Matthew Bickley and Bill Thornhill sculpts from Footsore Miniatures, Colin Patten sculpts from Saxon Miniatures (now sold by Warlord for £18 a pack I have been told!!). There is also a solid nod to Dave Andrews Anglo Danes as featured in the Warhammer Ancient Battles supplement, Shieldwall seen below.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 02:36:03 PM by Atheling »

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
Superb painting as always.
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks mate. It's been very slow going but I'm getting there :)

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
I have been following your various painting projects for some time now and I love your painting style and colour choices. It has even gotten me interested in studying colour theory in the future  :D Great work as always and thanks for complementing my crusaders, means a lot.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
I always relish looking at new posts from you mate 👍

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
More great stuff. It’s not just your painting, which is very well executed, but your attention to the composition of each base that stands out just as much. Well done.