Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:09:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690985
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Anglo Danes- More Command Bases- UPDATED P.15- 28-02-2023  (Read 35001 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Atheling's Anglo Danes- Select Fyrd First Rank UPDATED P.12- 07-05-2022
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2022, 09:41:47 AM »
Beautiful work (as always! ;)),

Thanks.

and I'll bet there were a few hairy moments attaching the figures to the bases whilst trying to rank them up without scuffing the paintwork!

A little, but not as much as one might might think. I use Humbrol DIY Enamel Gloss varnish (sadly no longer available) on each miniature which gives them a very tough protective layer (tough to the point where it helps keep spears in place) before matting down.

The only downside to that method is waiting a week for the gloss varnish to completely cure before the matt spray is added.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2022, 10:51:14 AM »
I use Humbrol DIY Enamel Gloss varnish (sadly no longer available) on each miniature which gives them a very tough protective layer (tough to the point where it helps keep spears in place) before matting down.

The only downside to that method is waiting a week for the gloss varnish to completely cure before the matt spray is added.

Wow, the original definition of "bullet coating" eh?  lol

I use a water-based "diamond-hard" non-yellowing UV-resistant floor varnish on mine, in several thin coats, before the final matte varnish stage. It's extremely tough once it's all fully cured, but I think the stuff you use sounds even more more so!

What are you thinking of using when the Humbrol finally runs out? I dare say something in the car body repair section of Halford's would probably yield some suitable candidates.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Atheling's Anglo Danes- Select Fyrd First Rank UPDATED P.14- 07-05-2022
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2022, 11:19:01 AM »
Wow, the original definition of "bullet coating" eh?  lol

Yep, I spend so much time painting each miniature it's heartbreaking if there are any chips as we all know. It does happen, but very rarely.

I think the stuff you use sounds even more more so!

Yeah, the DIT Humbrol stuff is meant for bicycles and stuff like that. It's a trick I picked up years ago- so long ago I can't remember who first suggested it to me- must have been someone at the Edinburgh club, SESWC, but I'm not sure.

What are you thinking of using when the Humbrol finally runs out?

That one's easy; panic!  lol

I've still got a few tins left and I always apply is with a small amount of turps so it should last a while yet. I've tried the Humbrol Gloss Spray which wasn't bad but it's bvery hard to prevent pooling with the spray no matter how light the coats one applies.

I dare say something in the car body repair section of Halford's would probably yield some suitable candidates.

Thanks, Halford's is definitely worth considering as they do cater for bicycles and stuff so they may well have something very similar to the Humbrol DIY Gloss.  A very good tip.  8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 08:26:51 PM by Atheling »

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2022, 04:31:54 AM »
Super job on those- totally gives a sense of densely packed ranks.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2022, 10:13:43 AM »
Super job on those- totally gives a sense of densely packed ranks.

Thanks Pattus Magnus.

The basing was in part inspired by the Bayeux Tapestry where the Anglo Danes are clearly packed in like sardines (see attached images below).

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Anglo Danes Close Ups of Each Base (Unit 5) UPDATED P.14- 20-10-2022
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2022, 08:23:44 PM »

For the full selection of pictures please pop on over to my Just Add Water Blog here:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/10/anglo-danes-close-ups-of-each-base-unit.html

Here are the close ups of the last unit I finished. So, why the close ups? First off it allows for the bases to be seen as individual interactions or conversations between the miniatures. where possible, with my miniatures I try to make each model look like it is part of an organic fighting force This is the case even in Victorian era armies as you can see here:

This is all the more important with vignettes (to state the obvious):

In the case of the Anglo Danes I wanted to evoke the frantic crush of battle as portrayed in the Bayeux Tapestry. To conjure up the press, the desperation, the sheer brutality and belligerence as illustrated on that famous embroidery.

I hope that, in some small way I have managed to touch upon the press of battle as elucidated in the tapestry in some small way.

The whole unit again:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 08:47:59 PM by Atheling »

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
Stunning as always Darren

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Yeah, I would say you hit the mark.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Very cool
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Many thanks guys. All commentary very much appreciated.

I'm pleased that I manged to invoke the desired spirit with the composition.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
Simply stunning. I've admired your painting style for a while, now. These are up there with your early Byzantines - crisp and vibrant, but with plenty of depth. The posing of the bases is also exemplary. Thank you for the eye candy.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Simply stunning. I've admired your painting style for a while, now. These are up there with your early Byzantines - crisp and vibrant, but with plenty of depth. The posing of the bases is also exemplary. Thank you for the eye candy.

That's very kind of you Old Hob. It's very pleasing to hear that I have managed to pull off the effect  effect I was trying to create.

BTW, I don't suppose Old Hob is a variation on Old Bob perchance?

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
That's very kind of you Old Hob. It's very pleasing to hear that I have managed to pull off the effect  effect I was trying to create.

BTW, I don't suppose Old Hob is a variation on Old Bob perchance?

It's a style I've been trying to emulate, with limited success. I'll keep buggering on, though, as I love the look.

I picked Old Hob as a handle when I joined the Oldhammer forum. Basically I was painting 1980s hobgoblins, so the Devil's old moniker seemed a perfect fit.

Cheers

Bruce
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 09:05:46 AM by Old Hob »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
It's a style I've been trying to emulate, with limited success. I'll keep buggering on, though, as I love the look.

It's honestly just practice; sounds obvious but paint a little every day and you will improve- trying pout new things is a good way to keep interested and the passion going.

I picked Old Hob as a handle when I joined the Oldhammer forum. Basically I was painting 1980s hobgoblins, so the Devil's old moniker seemed a perfect fit.

Got you. I used to know a really nice chap ion TMP called Old Bob.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
I have been looing through this post and have been dazzled by the amazing brushwork and basing, really this thread is very impressive. I may have missed it but I have to ask what ruleset are the figures based for? Thans for sharing your work its inspiring