Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wrath of the Ettin - Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish (Pic Heavy)  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Wrath of the Ettin - Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish (Pic Heavy)
« on: October 03, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
I hope it's ok to do a second thread. I didn't want to overwhelm one thread with loads more pics!

For the second game of the day I was keen to see how the rules handled having one side being made up of one particularly badass monster. I was also keen to use the Ettin that majorsmith had recently painted for me. So, while the Ettin certainly isn't remotely the most powerful monster the rules can provide, he was what we chose. We did a quick gang of Goblin minions adding up to roughly the same Gold Piece amount as the Ettin, so it was easy to assemble this game on the fly.

A small band of Goblins have just found a place to set up camp and eat the pig they've managed to steal from a nearby human village. Sheltering among some large boulders and rocks, they are excitedly arguing over who will be off to the nearby treeline to gather firewood and who will guard the pig.

The Goblins argue. One of them draws an arrow and prepares to shoot the pig, thinking that it will help settle the matter and that they can all just eat it raw. The ground shakes, and the arrow shoots off harmlessly as the Goblins' chatter dies down and they look at eachother with confused facial expressions.

The ground shakes again and again. The Goblins begin to run about aimlessly, all shouting commands at eachother and no one listening. Trees creak and branches crack from within the woods. A horrible, misshapen Ettin emerges from the treeline.

Goblins scatter and hide among the rocks. The pig scarpers in the confusion, and runs off into the distance.

"Hide, hide! It's huge!"

The two heads of the Ettin bicker as it lumbers from the woods...
"Goblins! Me eat!" The big, oafish head murmers in a deep rumbling voice.
"I bleedin' hate Goblin meat! Use yer damned big arm to catch us something decent for once!" The smaller, meaner head shrieks in reply.

"Arhaha! You no hide from me!" -Oaf
"Bloody hell. This ain't worth the effort!" - Meany

A brave Goblin sneaks out from behind a rock and launches an arrow at the Ettin. Being so big, it's easier to hit. The little Goblin arrow snaps on impact with the Ettin's shoulder, having no effect on the monstrosity.

Another Goblin archer shoots an arrow but fails to harm this creature.

The Ettin finds a Goblin hiding behind the rocks and grabs him. It screams and bites down hard on the Ettin's finger.
"Ow! This'n 'urts!" Bellows the Oaf, before hurling the Goblin away in anger. Miraculously, the Goblin is dazed but survives!

The Ettin sees another Goblin and lumbers forward. The little guy activates and being so close to a fearsome creature, fails his morale test and becomes scared. He runs away before the Ettin can grab him and hides behind a standing stone.

The Goblin mob leader (handy rule that) while brandishing his sword and shield gets the Archers around him activated. They keep shooting their arrows, some miss, and some stick in the fatty bits of the Ettin's arse, but nothing seems to hurt it!

At last! A goblin arrow hits Meany in the cheek!
"Bollo... ow! The bloody things are shooting us, you know, you lumbering idiot?!"

A gang of screaming Goblins charge from behind the rocks and begin jabbing spears into the Ettin's ankles as it lumbers around.

"Keep shooting! Keep shooting!"

The Ettin bellows with rage and proceeds to kick and swat away Goblin spears. One after another, Goblins get pounded into the ground. Only one Goblin out of four survives this onslaught, and the Ettin ignores him and charges at the archers who have been peppering him with arrows. "That's it! Make yerself useful and get these little bastards!" Meany yells with excitement, while rubbing his bleeding face with his withered little hand. Oaf picks up an archer with his big, strong hand...

...and hurls it right into a tree. The Goblin hits the tree at high speed; the green leaves and thick branches the last thing to go through its mind... literally! Splat!

While laughing at the splatted Goblin's fate, the Ettin fails to notice the Goblin it ignored early. The brave little guy runs and and with a mightly warcry, slams its big mace right down on stronger, bigger foot of the Ettin. Phoomp!
"Nyaaarrrgh! My foot's 'urt!"

The Goblin mob leader runs in to attack, yelling for the remaining archer to join him. The archer thinks better of it and takes the opportunity to turn and sneak off!

In the last few turns, the Goblins had passed the morale tests requires to not become scared due to activating within 6" of the Ettin. Even though they needed 5+. Every damn time. The archer scrambled off only due to how many Goblins had died.

As the last Archer ran off, the Mob Leader Goblin managed to hit the Ettin in his other foot.
"Argh, he's got my bloody foot now. You idiot! Why aren't you still smashing them up?!"
"Me 'urt. Ow! Foot 'urts!"
The Ettin falls over.
"Oi! Get away from me you little green bloody stupid bloody ba-" The Goblin leader sticks his sword in Meany's eye.
"Ow! I so hungr-"*crack* The only other remaining Goblin smashes Oaf's head in with his mace.

The two remaining Goblins look around at the carnage. Dead, flattened Goblins are scattered around. Dropped weapons of the fleeing cowards lay glinting in the evening sun.

"Well, more pig for us!" Says Mace Gobbo.
"Ere... where is it anyway?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another fantastic game. I love the way the rules handle big beasties! It was an off-the-cuff game so not a sophisticated scenario. We're getting the hand of these rules now and can't wait for more. The possibilities really are endless when it comes to fantasy.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:02:29 PM by Gibby »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: Wrath of the Ettin - Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
Ace!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »
Reminds me of the old Stomp game :D

Love the idea of one vs many and it looked a great game.  Thanks for the write up.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »
Always room at the table for you too Andrew!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
Indeed, Andrew! Join us some time. It's been a long time since that Strange Aeons game!

Offline SgtHulka

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 10:22:23 PM »
Fantastic, loved the pictures and the commentary. The Ettin actually looked like he was expressing the emotions you described!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 11:21:19 PM »
I think it is one of the most expressive models I've ever seen. The painting by majorsmith really brings it out.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 11:22:22 PM »
Really enjoyed the games, defo my game of choice for fantasy!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »
Fantastic! That was really entertaining, thank you!

Offline joshuaslater

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 01:35:19 AM »
Great writing!

Offline FAB

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 06:47:07 AM »
Excellent story with pictures.
Love the Ettin Miniature.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 07:20:55 AM »
Just goes to show, you can have a great game with little stuff on the table. Well done.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 07:42:16 AM »
Cool. Looks well balanced seeing as the gobbos only won with a couple of them left over.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 08:05:10 AM »
Great stuff!

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 09:02:25 AM »
Just brilliant , love how people are already playing with what they like and how they want to with the rules .