Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:35:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sculpting frostgrave in 15mm. The madness begins.  (Read 3155 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Sculpting frostgrave in 15mm. The madness begins.
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »
So i got my book recently. (lovely thing, higher quality than i ever expected and great rules.)

The only issue is, i'm at uni! paying more than i care to think about for a box room on the edge of london, so i can't really spare the space for lovely 28mm goodies.

Luckily, there is a solution, and that is to sculpt my own 15mm warbands from the same 1:100 scale figures i've been using in my sci fi project.

So, after a little thinking about how best to convert generic businessmen to fighters and wizards, here are the first of a hopeful 20 miniatures that will ultimately destroy what is left of my eyesight.

The ultimate end goal here is to have two ten man warbands, some basic fold up terrain pieces and a handful of d20's fit into a false book i currently store playing cards in.Then i can carry frostgrave with me anywhere i need to go and be ready for a casual game in the studio or at the pub.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sculpting frostgrave in 15mm. The madness begins.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:29:50 AM »
Nice work but there are plenty of suitable 15mm fantasy or historical figures out there too if you get sick of the sculpting!
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 06:42:10 AM »
I'm going for 10mm.
Pendraken produce some really beautiful wizards in their new Warband range and between them, Kallistra and Magister Militum, I can get all I need. it also makes storage of scenery a lot easier.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
I'm going for 10mm.
Pendraken produce some really beautiful wizards in their new Warband range and between them, Kallistra and Magister Militum, I can get all I need. it also makes storage of scenery a lot easier.

Pendraken has some nice figs in warband. Not alot of wizards yet.  Maybe once human armies are released. If you paint up a warband post some pics.

Crush of Iron by Alien Dungeon is having a 15mm figure range soon. A kickstarter to come in a few weeks. I mentioned Frostgrave to them, and about making some warband packs.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:37:04 PM »
Not alot of wizards yet.  Maybe once human armies are released. If you paint up a warband post some pics.

Four in each of the high elf, undead, dwarf, barbarian collections plus two wizards in the Fantasy Accessory range (old and new versions of AC19).
That'll keep me busy for a while.
There is also the goblin and Taurian shamans but they are not human enough.
I've got a week off coming up soon so will try to get some done then.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 09:45:37 PM »
Four in each of the high elf, undead, dwarf, barbarian collections plus two wizards in the Fantasy Accessory range (old and new versions of AC19).
That'll keep me busy for a while.
There is also the goblin and Taurian shamans but they are not human enough.
I've got a week off coming up soon so will try to get some done then.

That's good. But not many human wizard types yet. Hopefully soon with Dragon Realms army.
Now if Pendraken would make some Frostgrave warband packs, that would be cool.  Two wizard types and 10-15 fighters archers etc. 
I have a dwarf army myself.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 10:49:46 PM »
Check out Splintered Light miniatures, their Dungeon Crawl adventurers are great.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »
Check out Splintered Light miniatures, their Dungeon Crawl adventurers are great.

I would love to get a hold of a lot of nice 15mm mini's , the issue is getting them on a student budget,since all my spare change is getting spend on marble right now. :)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »
Nice plan and a good start - the best of luck!
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 10:20:50 PM »
I finished the first wizard...then it got crushed when i dropped one of my sculptures on it. (or an elementalist decided to summon half a ton of marble to off his rival.)

I've decided that if i want to play any games this yeah i need to actually bite the bullet and buy figures, so i have a bunch of ral partha and 15mm.com minis coming in the post! i'll post up the hoard when it arrives and begin work on the travel box.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 03:08:41 AM »
I finished the first wizard...then it got crushed when i dropped one of my sculptures on it. (or an elementalist decided to summon half a ton of marble to off his rival.)

I've decided that if i want to play any games this yeah i need to actually bite the bullet and buy figures, so i have a bunch of ral partha and 15mm.com minis coming in the post! i'll post up the hoard when it arrives and begin work on the travel box.

I do love it when wizards get creative with magic.  :D
Sorry to hear about the fate of the poor bugger though, and best of luck to the newcomers!

I really have no idea what I'm doing.