Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:42:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689618
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A project 65 million years in the making...  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
A project 65 million years in the making...
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
Last Crisis I bought some HLBS dinosaurs (Velociraptors and Compsognathi). So, having nothing better to do I decided to paint them up, which obviously was a big mistake, because I immediately wanted to watch Jurassic Park again.

Anyway, long story short, I watched JP and yet another project was born. I am going to build a JP table. Don't know if I will ever finish it (as with most of my projects), but here's the start:

Two finished Raptors (need to do some flocking and the last Raptor):

I also ordered two of these from Chieftain Models:

To turn them into these:

Also, I bought these:

To turn into a paleontologist's dig.

Now, I need to find some suitable miniatures to populate the park and models to represent these:

To be continued... (some day soon)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
Re: A project 65 million years in the making...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:56:08 PM »
Good luck with your project. You might want to look into the book itself as the movie misses much. Use the movie just for the visuals side of thing.

Oh and what scale is that buggy? I was wanting to do a similar project but a lack of vehicles for the InGen crews has deterred me a bit.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
Thanks!

The buggies are 1/56 scale, but they'll need extensive converting if they're going to be anything like the JP Jeeps. I have read the books (both JP and Lost World) and I've already decided that I'll expand on that material, but use the movies as a visual starting point.

So, the terrain will be usable for both Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna, there will be scientists, Ingen personal, gamekeepers, more dinosaurs, mercenaries, more dinosaurs and a (two?) T-rexes.

Atm, I'm sketching out the buildings I want to build.

Cheers
Jase

PS I also use the PS2 game Jurassic Park Operation Genesis for inspiration.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:20:15 PM »
JAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genius !!! I realy want to see the project growing .

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:24:44 PM »
JAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!  Genius !!! I realy want to see the project growing .

Grimm

I second that, too.
Also in case you want to portray some building interior you can use the KKBB missile /control room items. for the incubating room, no idea yet!
argsilverson

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »
Great idea!  8)

If I was you I would look in the local 1 Euro stores, they would probably have toy cars that would be suitable for a repaint for the park vehicles.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 09:44:35 PM »
I wish to see the Brid cage from the last story !!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »
Great idea!  8)

If I was you I would look in the local 1 Euro stores, they would probably have toy cars that would be suitable for a repaint for the park vehicles.

Good idea, there are plenty of toy Range Rovers and other 4x4s that are the right scale here in the UK, so should be in Europe as well, I'd have thought.

I think your compatriot "Pil" has done this with his post-apocalyptic games, but I can't seem to find the thread  :?

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »
Indeed those jeeps will require some extensive conversions, but could be useful for some guys like those from the second movie. After all the BioSyn guys never made it back, eh? Oh and there's the Jurassic Park Trilogy pack you can buy. It has plenty of concept art that was never used in the movie(a lot of which leans heavily towards the books). Won't be useful unless you can find it though, I guess. And on eBay if you're lucky, there still might be a chance to find some JP3 toy sets or something. One of my little brothers got one for Christmas back around when the movie was new. It had an excellent Jurassic Park entry-way with big doors(was roughly 28mm scale when compared with the first movie), and had several big sections of fencing. Unfortunately I don't have them any more >:(. Another good source for stuff is a local dollar store(or whatever the equivalent is where you live), mine always has plenty of dinosaurs, palm trees, eggs, etc. and most usually look rather good after the mold-lines are trimmed and painted up.

One thing that would be awesome would be to have one of the more volcanically-active parts of the islands. Even the worker village, or the geothermal plant would make excellent additions.

Also, the second Dino Crisis game would offer plenty of inspiration for the overgrown stuff. Excellent game, that one. Later in the week I could provide you with a bunch of in-game shots of all the facilities and what-not when I play though it again for the billionth time if you want, heh.

As I've said I've been wanting to do a similar project which I'll start up when space and materials is available.

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 04:57:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

The geothermal generator is indeed one of the things I'm planning to build, although I have no clue how they would look. Loads of pipes leading into the ground I guess.

Bako, are you talking about the Jurassic Park mod for Crysis? If you can make some ingame shots, that would be great!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:56:17 AM »

The geothermal generator is indeed one of the things I'm planning to build, although I have no clue how they would look. Loads of pipes leading into the ground I guess.

some links and photos that might help:
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/news/news_detail.cfm/news_id=10150
http://www.ilovecynics.com/archives/2006/08/21/geothermal-electricity-debuts-in-alaska

http://www.rasertech.com/geothermal_how.html

in theory there are two sets of pipes. one of cold water -input- and then a set os pipes collecting the steam. these lead to turbine(s) to produce power. lot;s of control panels outdoors with manometers to regulate pressure, taking measurements of temperatures and chemical analysis of steam etc. hope the above give you a small idea, enough for a modelling project.

The intrigue thing is to model outdoors volcanic activity with steam coming out of tocks or small ponds with volcanic steam coming out of mud. remember to paint sulfur coloured rocks, as there is always some sulphur deposit on them.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 02:34:47 AM »
Sorry to burst your bubble, my computer's not up to snuff to even handle Crysis on lowest setting. This is what I'm talking about: [wiki]Dino Crisis 2[/wiki].

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »
Looks to be a pretty cool and unique idea you've got going here. Any thoughts to what rules you'll use to go with it?

Offline Jase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »
@Bako: Don't know that game, but judging from the wikipage it looks interesting.

@Dijit: I'll be using my own set of rules, but they're not yet finished.