Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New scenery objects for Wild West game - UPDATE - NEW PHOTOS!!!  (Read 7769 times)

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
New scenery objects for Wild West game - UPDATE - NEW PHOTOS!!!
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:45:57 PM »
At the moment I am building two new scenery objects for the next Wild West game. The inspiration came from an article in an old issue of the Wargames Journal about the little town "Alder Bog".

On the first picture you see some kind of woodcutter camp with buildings and fences from Snapdragon. The little blue thing is a camp fire and the crates and barrels behing the house are made from dental plaster (when they are finished I will make photos from every side). The bushes are made by mixing sawdust with water and PVA glue (the ugly green is because I only had some green sawdust left over from the last action ... )

In the second picture you see a little storage facility for the wood again with Snapdragon building and fences and scratch built wood and of course (ugly) green bushes  ;)

The two objects were spray painted black and tomorrow they will get a brown second base coat before I will start to paint them ... hopefully next week I can send new photos of them ...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:58:55 PM by hohlinger »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: New scenery objects for Wild West game
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »
Looking good so far, hope to see the finiahed pictures in due course :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
That looks very promising. Well Done!
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BigMecha

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:55:09 PM »
that is very NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
::::: Ancients::::::::
:::::: World War I :::::::
::::::: World War II ::::::::
:::::::: Science Fiction :::::::
:::::::::::    Fantasy   :::::::::::::::

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »
This looks great already, hohlinger! Does anyone have a link to where I can get Snapdragon products (in Europe, preferably Germany)?

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »
Their homepage: http://www.moondragons.com/index.html
Not sure of any other stockists.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »
very cool looking

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »
@ cianty:

I ordered the buildings over a friend which is a british officer stationed on the airbase of Ramstein (which is not far away from my home) and he had a BFPO adress ... by this way the postage rate was very low. If you order it directly to a german adress it will get very high!

Thanks to all for the nice answers ... you will surely see photos of the finished thing soon  :D

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 03:44:15 PM »
Their homepage: http://www.moondragons.com/index.html
Not sure of any other stockists.

Thank you Overlord! Now I feel stupid because I did know about moondragons. Sometimes it's difficult to remember with all those "hidden" companies.. like Ainsty and Old Crow or Green Village and Stronghold Miniatures...

@ cianty:

I ordered the buildings over a friend which is a british officer stationed on the airbase of Ramstein (which is not far away from my home) and he had a BFPO adress ... by this way the postage rate was very low. If you order it directly to a german adress it will get very high!

Shame. Really.

Still, thanks for your reply.

Thanks to all for the nice answers ... you will surely see photos of the finished thing soon  :D

I hope so! Looking forward to it.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 05:13:23 PM »
Very nice and creative arrangements of buildings and scenery, hohlinger, not the usual Saloon, Bank, Undertaker etc.! I'm always looking for ideas like this to break away from the standard old west town layout. Can't wait to see it all coming together! What are you using for the nice flat bases? Looks like plasticard ...?
 :-*

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 09:28:06 AM »
@ Admiral Benbow:

Thank you ... but (shame on me) as I said before the idea was from a story in an old issue of the Wargames Journal where they build up a nice little town called "Alder Bog" and they had a gunfight between two families with the shootout in the woodcutter area ...

I base all of my buildings and scenery objects (also the cacti in the other post) on 1.5 to 2 mm thick white plastic cards (in Germany called ABS). It is easy to handle (you can cut it with a knife on one side and then bend it to break) and does not bend when you stick glue and sand to it. The objects are glued to the ABS with super glue or five-minute epoxy and the sand is fixed with PVA glue.

It will last a few days more until I can show you some further photos because I had some problems with the first layer of the earth tone. I wanted to paint it with the airbrush but there was something wrong with the paint. Now I must go and check for better paints to use them in the airbrush  ???

Offline tsar1701

• LPL Silver Medalist (S3), Bronze Medalist (S8)
  • Scientist
    • tsar's universe (in french)
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »

Very nice and creative arrangements of buildings and scenery, hohlinger

yes, beautifull :-* :o

not the usual Saloon, Bank, Undertaker etc.!

I'm thinking about the problem of too classical bulding for a long time for my Old West town. The biggest inconvenience I see in this kind of subperb scenery is the place which it takes when we have to store it somewhere at home.

Beauty or pragmatism, it is necessary to choose  :(
N.V.C. (Never Victorious Chris)

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 05:58:15 PM »
Finally they are here!!! New photos of the terrain tiles.

First two photos after the "airbrush session" with my cousin ... I do not have an airbrush and my cousin is in my eyes an expert on this area  ;)

The colours used are two different browns for the earth and for the wood and a green for the plants ...

Now the next photos show one step after this. The earth was dry-brushed with three different browns and the wood sections were dry-brushed with one very light brown to show up the details. The plants were then dry-brushed with a light yellow-green (the same I used on the cacti) ... the next things which follow now are the painting of the details (windows, big stones, crates, barrels, etc.) and finally the varnishing ...

I hope you like them ...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: New scenery objects for Wild West game - UPDATE - NEW PHOTOS!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 06:00:44 PM »
Nicely done, the different pieces have all gone together on the large base really well. :)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »

... I hope you like them ...

Yes, I do!  ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/