Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:30:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Diehard Miniatures Oldhammer Kickstarter  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Diehard Miniatures Oldhammer Kickstarter
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »
I couldn't find anything about this Kickstarter here, so maybe it's interesting for some:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diehardminiatures/diehard-miniatures-fantasy-miniatures

Tim Prow, Chaz Elliott, Drew Williams are the Diehard sculptors ...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Diehard Miniatures Oldhammer Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »
While they look neat...but at 6 pounds per figure?  No thanks.   You can keep them.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »
I may have missed it, but it looks like the pledge levels include postage, so it's more like £4.50 a model plus postage and packaging. Unless I have it wrong.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »
If they start sculpting more Chaos Warriors that look like the old Citadel pre-slotta Chaos Warriors, I'll be interested. One of the locked options greatly resembles the original Harry The Hammer.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
The not-slann looks great, but yes, perhaps £2 a figure too sassy for me.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
I suppose I should amend my statement prior.  If shipping is indeed included, that's nice, but even 30-40 figures wouldn't be a huge amount of shipping cost, particularly with the UK's lovely subsidized international shipping.

I like many of the sculpts, and I'm sure many are worth the 4-5 pounds a piece.  I own plenty of figures which cost as much.  However that cost becomes prohibitive when you start talking about buying in at 30-40 figures+.  £210 for forty figures is a bit insane.  I'll just patiently wait for these to come out retail, hope for a small discount and buy a handful of the figures piece-meal.

I do hope to see them succeed as I like the idea, I like many of the sculpts, but not nearly enough to buy them wholesale for so much money.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:20:31 PM »
Nope, shipping is at cost and added later, if I'm to believe the "Shipping" part  ;).
I don't get the Oldhammer reference. The sculpting style sure isn't 80's or early 90's, but much later, much more dynamic. I might see myself pick one or 2 figs up a later time, but there simply aren't many models I need ( or want ).
Having said that, the Snakemen are a nice idea and those who missed the original 1985 ones might have a field day  :).
Edit: 6 pounds today is simply what most manufacturers charge for a single 30mm metal model. If the model is nice enough I can't be bothered much, but if they have to compete with the old and still available ranges ( Ral Partha/Heartbreaker/Schwarze Auge etc. ) it might be tough...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:23:45 PM by Duncan McDane »
Leadhead

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:26:48 AM »
I really like some of the figures, though I would only pick up a few for hero types. Too expensive for rank & file. But I just have a hard time getting into Kickstarters. I've backed a few, but it's like they get to be a "Lifestyle." Way too involved a process when I just want to buy a few figures. So although I backed one of their earlier (and simpler) Kickstarters that didn't take off, I'm just going to sit this one out and maybe hope to pick up a couple of the figures through normal purchasing methods later on.

I'm not even certain I understand why a small range of metal cast figures needs such a large & complex KS. I would imagine that with a modest upfront investment, moulds could be produced, and figures could be cast as sales and demand warrant. The quality of the figures (in my opinion) is certainly good enough to guarantee there is a market for them, and the people involved are both experienced and fairly well known.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 05:09:05 AM »
As much as I love Kickstarters (been pleasantly pleased so far with the results of the ones I've backed) I agree it's a heck of a Kickstarter for a small line of miniatures - unless they're holding back a lot of sculpts hiding in the wings, in the anticipation of the KS being a smash success?

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »
It's a weird project. The Oldhammer reference is misleading, as a lot of the figures don't actually seem to be proxies of stuff from old Warhammer, and therefore aren't Oldhammer at all. Some of the figures are nice, but others are ropey - is 'Oldhammer' being used to excuse dodgy sculpts that haven't evolved since the 80s (those Orcs, though...)? And why don't those ones fit in with the nicer, more dynamic sculpts in the same range (Necromancer, for instance, which actually bears a resemblance to the recent GW plastic version)? http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Vampire-Counts-Necromancer;jsessionid=196EDB319E510A2D5E98A2F9B48E849A?_requestid=2077157

Sounds super-critical, but I really don't hate it - I'd say 50% of the minis are nice enough. But even as a fan of Oldhammer, at that price, in such an odd range, I don't see an incentive for backing.

Afterthought: Just noticed that even the 'stretch goals' are actually just add-ons. But a lot of those seem to be the cooler figures, and yet no one is going to pledge high enough to get them to that target as there's really no incentive to do so.

Offline Tim Prow

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm glad to hear we've sparked an interested on this forum, and my apologise for not joining sooner. There are so many sites, and twittering etc to keep on top of, and run a KS, and do my daily work, it's hard to keep up.

It seems the main concern is the price of the figures, and I think a couple of you have nailed it on the head. The Diehard initial range are more character figures than rank and file, and we've tried to justify this with more detailed sculpts and a price to match. There is no greed involved, it's just the price of starting up a business and trying to get a foot in the market. There are plans for a larger range, and if there is interest a game to go with the miniatures. Our first KS will cover the costs of moulding and production of the figures, with perhaps enough profit to allow us to stock the webstore that will follow the Kickstarter campaign (I've personally sculpted 21 figures for this project that's just short of 5 months work without pay). Understand we are a small business, a collection of creatives who've come together to make a range of figures. We can't and wont compete with the larger companies, we can't sell figures for a £1 and given away hundreds of pounds worth of freebie figures.
 The future of Diehard Miniatures is in the backers hands, if you are after cool figures, with potential for a fun in-depth gaming system, both role play and tabletop, with a nod to the past but an eye on the future, then back us.
 Once the initial miniatures have been produced we will look at doing rank and file troops (here you will find your cheaper figures), whether we do a general release or work on 1 faction at a time is still under discussion, but i'd like to think we could have at least one faction expansion next year (Eru-Kin pencilled in). We will also reward those that helped in our initial KS as a thank you for getting this project off the ground.

If you have any questions please just ask.

Tim Prow 

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
Well, I personally wish you all the best and never meant to accuse anyone of greed. As you've already exceeded the funding goal the miniatures are obviously competitively priced and I'm the cheapskate  lol

Offline Tim Prow

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »
No offence taken Zaheer, everyone's entitled to an opinion :) And the last time I bought figures properly I think a single figure was around 95p hehe.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 03:26:26 PM »
The Eru-kin are gorgeous, but I too have been  holding off due to the price.  It's not entirely unreasonable compared to standards across the industry, and I would agree that the quality of the sculpts warrants the price.  I might join in near the end... we will see how my willpower holds.  lol
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Tim Prow

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 12:03:24 AM »
Give in to the Green Side Timbor ;)