Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:33:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691082
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: FIW gallery/Included in April 2019 Wargames Illustrated  (Read 7428 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Large FIW gallery of 95 pictures
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »
Captain_Hook, thanks so much for writing.  I'm really happy that you enjoyed the gallery.  You mentioned that you still have much to learn so let me offer a reading suggestion that you might enjoy.  Allan W. Erkert has written several narrative history.  They are not always appreciated by the historical purists because of their narrative character, but they are great reads and provide a wonderful sense of the periods they are presenting while providing a good feel for the factual history... they offer a great sense of the color and flavor of the times.  My favorite of his narrative histories is the one on the French and Indian War entitled Wilderness Empire.  I have read it several times over the past decades, and it was one of those books I read again during my work on this project.  Also if you haven't seen it or haven't seen it recently, take a look or another look at Northwest Passage with Spencer Tracy and Robert Young... an old movie but it still holds up.  Thanks again for writing and good luck on you project.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »
I'm lead to wonder why more people haven't commented on this thread?  Is it because it is 15 mm or is it because a number of members here promote their own lines in the larger 28 mm - or perhaps a combination factor.

While this collection isn't as colorful as Richard's African adventure, it surely deserves more attention.  Of course, it is a period of personal interest and in my scale (though I collected all I need before Blue Moon came along and too much of it painted to switch, 800 plus figures with a similar number to finish - though all primed and ready to paint!).

Just curious, that' all.

Oh, I do find this header, PMAFShirts, a bit too diluted to really bring me in very often, AWI and FIW, you bet, SYW, sometimes, otherwise the other stuff is only a minor curiosity for me.  But I REALLY like AWI and FIW.  Just don't like wading around to find it.   o_o

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 09:24:59 PM »
FifteensAway, I knew when I posted my FIW Gallery that it would never draw the attention that any of my 28mm galleries have enjoyed.  I think I have posted thirteen 15mm galleries so far and those thirteen combined galleries have not received the viewership that has blessed my 28mm African Adventure Gallery.  The 28s simply have a much larger fan base here on LAF than the 15s, and that is probably due to the fact that LAF members are very talented painters/artists and see the 28s as serving that talent more than the 15s.  I tend to see the 15s and the 28s as having different but equally wonderful appeal.   When I post a gallery I tell myself that I am posting it as partial repayment for all the great ideas I have received viewing postings here on LAF, but to be perfectly honest vanity also plays a part... I want to hear back that people have enjoyed the work I have done.  I'm sure that is pretty much true of everyone who posts, and I hope that I am not stingy in my expression my enjoyment of the work that others do.  That said, I let me once again thank those, like you, who did take the time to write, and whose very generous words about this collection brightened my day.  Richard

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 01:16:07 AM »
I would first like to say this is the second time I have looked at this thread.
I must apologize for not commenting the first time I saw it.
It is hard not to echo all the great comments others have written.
You have a super setup.
Surly a labor of love for the hobby and little toy soldiers.
Thank you for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 02:56:21 AM »
Randy (aka Marine0846), thank you very much for taking the time to write and for your generous words.  I'm especially happy that you thought my FIW collection was worth a second look.  It was indeed a labor of love.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: FIW gallery/Included in April 2019 Wargames Illustrated
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 04:06:39 AM »
The April 2019 issue of Wargames Illustrated is now available, and I am both thrilled and honored by the way my work was presented in that issue. The title of the piece that begins on page 60 is "Purists, Look Away Now." The title arises from the fact that I am not a gamer. I am not dedicated to a single scale... some of my collections are 15mm, and some are 28mm. I move from military/historical collections (my 15s) to Pulp/Adventure/Victorian Gothic (my 28s). The piece looks at both. The first half is on my 28mm Post Apoc, and the second is my 15mm French And Indian War collection. WI has treated me very generously. I'm a happy guy.WI378_600 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 07:36:12 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
Congratulations - I'll look out for it at my FLGS.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 01:25:43 PM »
Very, very impressive.  I just had a look at the full gallery.  It is nice to see the F&IW done at a level other than skirmish.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
And not Richard's first outing in a major wargaming magazine!  Perhaps I'll pick up a copy just because of Richard's work - though otherwise I no longer pay attention to WI.  Except for the occasional WSS, I no longer buy magazines for the hobby.  The best part of that is less temptation! 

Still, congratulations Richard, well deserved.   

Anyone who has browsed his sight might wonder why more magazines haven't come calling.  It is one of the most impressive collections known on the planet.  The only one I know that rivaled it was that of the late Duke Seyfried's collection that reputedly topped 100,000 painted figures before its diaspora in the last years of his life.  Both collections spanned a great diversity of topics. 

I believe Richard has a few more collections in the works.  Maybe by the time he shuffles off, he will have surpassed Duke's quantities of figures - though Richard gets the nod for diversity of scale.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 08:36:54 PM »
Thanks to all for the very kind words.  Very much appreciated.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 02:11:31 AM »
Well, went out and bought the issue - enjoyed Richard's articles even though I'm not at all into post-apoc stuff.  Of course, I really enjoyed the French and Indian War portion because that is a high level interest for me though most of what I have predates the Old Glory releases; did add some items from the range like the civilians, the native villagers, the native huts, etc. 

Did get a sprue load of zulus with the issue of no use to me until I realized I can use the eight heads as decor in my Heia Safari/Slightly Cracked Colonias - somehow. 

Again, congratulations, Richard.  I bought the issue in direct support of your articles.  Maybe that offsets those Bactrian camel a little!  lol

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 03:14:37 AM »
FifteensAway, thank you.  I am sincerely honored that you went out and picked up a copy... camels more than covered!  Richard