Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:05:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Survivors - BBC new series.  (Read 7980 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Survivors - BBC new series.
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
Ok, so the first episode was last night.

Did anybody watch it? What did you think?

(For those who didn't see it, its a remake of a 1970's tv series following the survivors of an epidemic which wipes out 90% of the world population over night and how they cope in the weeks/years to come.)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Survivors - BBC new series.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »
I liked it nice slow start to it. The only bit I found a little strange was that the people didnt seem all that bothered by all their family dying and were soon cracking jokes etc.

Remeber the second episode is on Tomorrow night so it looks like 2 a week leading up to the Chrimbo rubbish in the schedule

PS. Pity there were no zombies too

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »
didnt even realise it was on just about remember the original seem to remember it started off good but then went down hill pretty quick.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
I liked it, didn't notice about the grieving but now I'm thinking about it not too much greiving went on but then some of the characters were loners weren't they so maybe that's why.

looking forward to the rest just hope its not one of those dramas that peters out.

dodge

ps I saw dead set on e4 that had zombies and was surreal but good.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
I liked it, didn't notice about the grieving but now I'm thinking about it not too much greiving went on but then some of the characters were loners weren't they so maybe that's why.

looking forward to the rest just hope its not one of those dramas that peters out.

dodge

ps I saw dead set on e4 that had zombies and was surreal but good.

I agree Deadset was a corker :D

I suppose it could have been a very depressing show if everyone was sat crying come to think of it. ;D

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »
I thought it was quite dreadful.  Almost as bad as the original - which I barely recall apart from the dim recollection of utter dreadfulness. 

With the new one - I admit - I only watched the first five minutes and the last ten.  I won't rant too much - I won't criticise the unconvincing acting as it was probably the script.  I will just raise two points.

Where are all the bodies?
Where is all the grief, shock, horror and disbelief?

I should write to the BBC and complain about wasting my Licence Fee – but I can’t because on Saturday I watched Einstein and Eddington, which was so utterly brilliant – story, writing and acting – it alone was worth a year’s Licence Fee.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:51:14 PM by Orctrader »

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
And there it goes to show one mans vintage port is another mans poison  lol

BTW bodies were all in houses hospitals and cars I saw loads of 'em but everyone seemed to die overnight.

but not too many in the first 10 or last 10 mins.

praps they were too stunned to grieve

or perhaps it was the script  :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 05:02:28 PM »
BTW bodies were all in houses hospitals and cars I saw loads of 'em but everyone seemed to die overnight.

Exactly...What I couldn't quite get my head around was that people were displaying flu like symptons, collapsing etc, and taking a while to die. Then it suddenly escalated, with the seemingly fit and healthy dying all on one night.What triggered their mass deaths?

Was it the flu like epedemic or, is it a different killer bug released by the shady scientists who were seen at the end?

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
It took 3 days for them to die didn't it. When the lead actress suddenly wakes up it had a  3 days later subtitle.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »
It took 3 days for them to die didn't it. When the lead actress suddenly wakes up it had a  3 days later subtitle.

BUt what about the young Arabic chap who went to bed with the girl from the nightclub who was seemingly fit and healthy, the next morning she was dead. Also the crowd in the mosque, they all died at the same time, presumably overnight as the little boy woke up in the morning, he adn't been asleep for three days?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »

BUt what about the young Arabic chap who went to bed with the girl from the nightclub who was seemingly fit and healthy, the next morning she was dead. Also the crowd in the mosque, they all died at the same time, presumably overnight as the little boy woke up in the morning, he adn't been asleep for three days?

I think she was ill for three days as she must have aquired immunity through the exposure whilst others have natural immunity. It did appear that they died form suffocation but no tortured bodies...it does seem rather strange

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »
Well if it's only been three days maybe the dead will still rise up as zombies!  There is still hope! lol

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 06:03:23 PM »
Well if it's only been three days maybe the dead will still rise up as zombies!  There is still hope! lol

Now a film called Autumn will do exactly that, if it is as good as the books then it is a winner

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 06:13:21 PM »

Now a film called Autumn will do exactly that, if it is as good as the books then it is a winner

Oh yes, I had heard about that one and saw a teaser trailer somewhere, Do you kno when its coming out?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »
I have vaguely fond recollections of the 1970s original - I can still remember the music and title sequence now. Unfortunately, I can't remember much about what was in the show though!

Didn't watch the remake last night, but the trailers looked pretty lame to me.

On the other hand, I did catch up with  first episode of The Devil's Whore, which I thought looked good and had some nice moments, although as ever with TV historical drama, the battle scenes are pretty pitiful with just a handful of extras on each side... There's been some sniffiness because it was filmed in S Africa apparently, but if that fact hadn't been trumpeted in advance, I'd never have known. Looked like England to me.  ;)