Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690735
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to get through the pile?  (Read 8895 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: How to get through the pile?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »
Also, while it sounds a little silly...quality threads or blogs help motivate me.  It's fun when I have a thread going and people are giving you feedback - makes you more inclined to paint and finish stuff.  I keep a thread for each major project...sometimes going back through the thread and realizing I'm well on my way is encouraging and helps motivate me to finish project goals.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 05:42:55 AM »
Have a heart attack. It will put it all into perspective and you shall worry no more about toys. It will also motivate you to sell a bunch of it.

Trust me it works wonders.

Well ... ^^
I have tons of WHFB dwarfs, even half a ton painted ... but in my vicinity no one who wants to play that anymore.
However, when I look at my dwarfs, I never want to even imagine a situation, that I want to sell them. Seems I am right.  o_o

I'd try not to be that drastic ... but it might help to get a new aproach. ^^
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 10:46:57 AM »
What's the hurry?

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
I supremely appreciate all the support and advice here folks. I've been pretty busy lately with the upcoming holiday here but I found the time to start on the Great Purge of 2015. I've managed to get four lots up on eBay so far, with probably another 7 or 8 upcoming. My goal is to narrow my focus, and in fact HAVE a focus, to my hobby ventures.

Right now my biggest problems are the fact that there are SOOOOO many cool miniatures lines out there, and the fact that I have the approximate attention span of a gnat.  lol That has led me to just get things I think look cool, or 'maybe I'll get into that someday', or I get a project idea in my head and immediately go out and splurge on a ton of models for it.

I'm now instead trying to approach things in a more manageable way. Limit myself to a few things, and if I absolutely must start a new project I will be forcing myself to make at least SOME appreciable progress (a painted squad, a piece of terrain, etc) before I move on to another project. I think clearing out a lot of the game room clutter will help.

The most valid of all the many pieces of great advice given in this thread so far, at least for me, has been this: 'The important thing is to pick something and start.'  I have a tendency to be a very good planner. I plot, scheme, diagram, spreadsheet, storyboard, and purchase all the pieces needed for a fun campaign or project but then when the time comes to actually assemble and paint, I stall. I've always been more of a gamer than a painter, but it's SO much better to play with painted figures that I need to really focus myself on that.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2015, 05:05:17 PM »
I commend you for trying to focus. I've tried it. Tried. Failed. Now I just flit from project to project as my attention span allows. I figure that since it's my hobby and I've already spent the money on the toys, I might as well enjoy it how I see fit. Which means a true lack of focus and generally doing whatever, whenever the mood strikes.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Revfan

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »
I've managed to get four lots up on eBay so far, with probably another 7 or 8 upcoming.

And where is the link to the auction?

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
I have had very hard time myself. I started with WHFB and Skaven because I just loved some of the models. I bought tremendous amounts of ratmen. About twenty (out of some four hundred) has been ever painted. Then I started with 40K. First with space marines, then turned to Chaos Space Marines (those were fully painted, again very infantry-oriented about one hundred soldiers). Then I switched to Infinity. I had almost full range of Nomads. Then I started with PanOceania (but I have been a lot more mature and build a single list only). Oh, yeah and the Hordes experiment (full 35pts army). Also I have bought plenty of models because I like them or for RPGs.
Then I left the mainstream games and went on to Ospreys. Bought some new models. I really felt heavy. Then I prioritized. I considered all pros and cons of every model I had. What games I can use it with. Was that a present from someone? Do I still like the model? Is it still available if I'd change my mind? Now I only have the following running:

Living Collection of Martial Artists (mostly from Hasslefree) - I use them for A Fistful of Kung Fu, Ronin and Frostgrave
Anglo Saxon Fyrd - still in the making for Lion Rampant, Dragon Rampant, Frostgrave or whatever it fits
Skaven of Clan Eshin - I have sold all of my skaven save my gutter runners, assassins and few characters. I use it however I need for whatever skimish fantasy game. I found these my favourite models...
Mismatch whatever - which is safely closed in my models case. It's about hundred of W40K and fantasy and Sci-fi models I got from someone or are not available anymore and I still like them. But I keep them to play with it when I retire - it's about 40 years from now in my country. :-)

Everything else is gone. Sold, given, disposed of. I feel a lot lighter and more enthusiastic for the hobby. Though the Anglo-Saxons does discourage me as there will be some 80 soldiers to paint... when I finish, it will be done! No more additions. And that keeps me going.
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline Napalm Backflip

• Assistant
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 09:40:08 PM »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 06:02:23 AM »
Also, while it sounds a little silly...quality threads or blogs help motivate me.  It's fun when I have a thread going and people are giving you feedback - makes you more inclined to paint and finish stuff.  I keep a thread for each major project...sometimes going back through the thread and realizing I'm well on my way is encouraging and helps motivate me to finish project goals.
Not silly - and the Lead Painters' League helps you get through 50 models in 10 weeks, which is a good boost to productivity.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 06:57:00 AM »
For me it is usually simply to play the game. Anotherone who shares the fun. So, next game, wanting to try another profile, more of the former profile, new faction, demo-gang for the fellow gamer, etc. and ... ratz fatz ... next 10 minis painted.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
That is a good way to set small goals D. It works for me when I have a demo day or tournament planned. Not so well when I'm working towards a fun game. I'll admit I don't enjoy playing with unpainted figures nearly as much, but I will resort to it in a pinch.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »
Lots of good thoughts here. Nice to know that you are not alone. I really need to do something. Stop buying is though not an option, too much goodness is coming out every month. The challenge is to get rid of stuff. Could we have a more structured marketplace on LAF?

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
Ok, the thing is I have way too many figs. I will never paint them all, but it gives me choices..  someone wants to play 6mm FPW - sure I have the figs for that - give me a couple of weeks.

I play competition games, so I always enter an army that isn't painted.. and force myself to do it.

I have my painting area set up so it is always there. Every night I try to do at least one colour on the latest batch. It isn't much but over a week - ten days, it finishes another group of figures.

I also think about what it is I play - not about what I might play. So for example, if the locals want to play Song of 'etc' I can paint up a few figs..  focus on having at least one force that can be put on the table.

I also think about what the locals enjoy playing, and focus on that - or agree with at least one other player that we can pair forces.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »
I paint for 1-1&1/2 hours every day, whether I want to or not. It's the only way to be productive. Habits.

(I confess! There's the odd day I don't but it's very rare). Sometimes I paint much more too - days off, holidays.

This is my painting area - I am always set up, ready. And highly organized. I return it to this clean state after every project, always, or I would go nuts. I don't look at the unpainted mountain, only ever what's in front of me and in focus. Simple.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2015, 03:46:40 PM »
Your example is inspiring Minisgurubabaji. My bench is host to chaos and squallor, but I can see the potential for clarity and miniature-painting-yoga deep, deep beneath the mountain.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!