Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:59:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Affun's lead-pile - 24/6-22 - Northerners of many ilk!  (Read 84874 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 28/1 22 - Youngblood
« Reply #375 on: January 28, 2022, 12:01:38 AM »
Looks great - very atmospheric set-up, and a terrific face on that fellow!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #376 on: January 29, 2022, 02:10:22 PM »
Nice to see something new from you!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2022, 10:18:14 PM »
Wooo, one of my favorite threads in the forum coming back to life!

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 7/2 - 22 - Dwarf, skulls and mushrooms
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »
Thanks y'all. It was never dead, just taking a... uh... very long nap  lol

Another miniature got painted:

Hearing a desperate commotion, the dwarf wanderer rushes to the aid of the unfortunate would-be adventurer.
With his hammer, he is well equipped to deal with the undead.

This time a very characterful Northstar dwarf I got as part of a nickstarter.  I've not done a lot with the dwarves, so it was good to get him painted.
The detail was a bit rought in some areas (mostly the underside, so very easily concealed) but it was such a nice paint it felt like it was done in no time!

Having started playtesting for my own ruleset, Showdown Tactics - more on that later, this guy will come in really handy: His load out is perfect for some weapon and equipment rules i want to try out.
(And a LINK to a pseudo AAR of the first playtest)

Apart from that, I've been building some terrain. An oversized mushroom:

And a strange tree, familiar to fellow fans of gardens of hecate

In the background some more mushroom stalks in progress. They just need their caps to be ready for paint.

For a long time I've been wanting to do some more fantastical terrain, to make the setting come through more both in photos and games. These are the first steps towards that.
Since ive been experimenting a LOT with very small table size games, I wont actually need to make that many pieces to have a "themed" table top. For now the plan is roughly 3 pieces of each type (the mushrooms and the concrete trees)

Oh yeah, I also painted some tokens - Nominally for Dracula's America (in the near-future, as we play it here) but pretty generically useable! I find it just adds so much to the play experience to have things like this painted up.

Thats all from me for this time!
Thanks for reading.
~affun

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2022, 08:33:42 PM »
Those tokens are splendid! Very atmospheric!

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2022, 10:29:01 PM »
Those tokens are splendid! Very atmospheric!

Thanks! Yeah, i do find they add a lot to the atmosphere of a game when used too.
I just painted them onto some spare 15mm mdf bases. It ended up being pretty fun! I have some blood splatters too that see use as wound (or knocked down in SoBH) markers.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #381 on: February 08, 2022, 04:33:20 PM »
The hand painted tokens are going the extra mile, but surely worth it.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #382 on: June 11, 2022, 07:12:51 PM »
The hand painted tokens are going the extra mile, but surely worth it.

Absolutely - They get used in every single game i play, regardless of system! Its one of those things, like terrain, that I kinda find it silly to not spend a little energy on yet somehow i keep not doing it  lol

---

Anyways, painted a couple of brigands/scouts/blokes with bows

I think they are claymore castings sculpts, though they also feel a bit perry. Couldnt find them on either side though. But handy and nice enough models. I always appreciate a good clean sculpt, and i suspect these guys might see quite some table time, since they work with pretty much anything.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 11/6-22 - Brigands, bowmen or similar
« Reply #383 on: June 12, 2022, 10:17:48 PM »
You're right, they were once Claymore ribauds. Now available from Antediluvian in the Historical section.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline glenning

• Librarian
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 5/6-17 - Otherworld Knight
« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2022, 01:54:53 PM »
Cheers y'all. Appreciate the comments!

I definitely can recommend getting some terrain to photograph on - Its just plain fun to set up. And it also helps with adjusting the colours and getting the miniatures in focus (Or at least it does with my camera).

Here's another miniature, freshly painted:

A knight from Otherworld Miniatures. I've had him for a long time, but not managed to get paint onto him as I had a hard time deciding upon a colour scheme. I wanted to stray away from my usual bright red for the cloak, so I had to do a bit of thinking when picking heraldric colours and matching them with his cloak. In the end, im really happy with how he turned out. I find it can be a bit hard to paint miniatures with lots of metal so they still look interesting, but I think I somewhat managed, even though the armour is a bit rough in places.

He's pictured here along with two footmen/hirelings, in what I'm thinking will be half of a warband for Relicblade - Though all of the miniatures will of course likely get to serve in other games as well.

Great stuff - where are the billmen from?

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Affun's lead-pile - 24/6-22 - Northerners of many ilk!
« Reply #385 on: June 24, 2022, 11:22:35 AM »
Great stuff - where are the billmen from?

Heya - Thanks :) The billmen are Front Rank War of the roses, now sold by Gripping beast. Very nice characterful miniatures, a bit larger than typical historicals, so they go pretty well with reaper, otherworld and similar.

---

A round up of some more painting
First i added some naked dudes to the ribaulds, to serve as wildmen, celt-remnants, picts or just particularly unfazed vikings. I swapped the celtic-style shields with more "modern" (comparatively speaking  lol ) round shields, to make them fit in more with the late viking/early feudal age im loosely basing my fantasy in.

I also knocked out a Northstar treasure chest really quick. Its been sitting around since the very first frostgrave nickstarter! For a quick paintjob, this is going to be an immensely useful little model i suspect.

Then, having just received an order from Artizan designs (including some other goodies, to be revealed later), i set about painting some more "civilized" northerners. These will form the core of my jarls hold, to go up against a friends jarl with their retinue!
For now, Im planning on 4 of these and some characters, and then i need to get some poorer warriors and bowmen to support them.

... oh and i also snuck in this delightful Alternative Armies dwarf, to serve as a hired sword (axe?) in various retinues. I just love his grin!

Cheers, and thanks for reading!
~affun