Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:37:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: People and terrain for Afghanistan (update Motorbikes 2018-07-23, p.7)  (Read 21391 times)

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Thanks for the nice comments!  Now that I've started with the bakers I'll need to make a few more shops.  Some sort of knick-knack shop, a mechanic,  a butcher, maybe my own version of Richard Clark's Achmed the Pot Seller http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=3804.

I had a roll of drywall mesh in my hand cleaning up over the weekend and didn't think of the wargaming potential

A little goes a long way on a project like this!

Cheers!

W

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
S&S? ???

Adore the bakers, a very sweet touch.

Where was that from?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
More wheels for my villagers, and for the insurgents.  I've added the Empress Miniatures Taliban bikes to my collection:  two as delivered and two deweaponised.  More photos on the blog!  http://willstoysoldiers.blogspot.ca/2016/07/taliban-cavalry.html

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Fine painting on your guys.
You have got me thinking about getting back to my own Afghans.
I am such a painting butterfly. :)
Semper Fi, Mac

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
After re-watching the exploits of James Bond in the Living Daylights and John Rambo in Rambo III, I couldn't resist cobbling together these Afghan horsemen!

More photos and some backstory on the blog: http://willstoysoldiers.blogspot.ca/2016/07/taliban-cavalry-take-two-now-with.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:47:25 PM by Will Bailie »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
lol direct hyperlink not working (but link is correct).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
Hopefully that hyperlink works now.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
I like the guys mounted.
Great idea, well done.

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
I finally got in a game.  I'm pretty sure it violates the restrictions on this board, so I won't talk about it on this forum but you are welcome to read the AAR and find out my thoughts on Black Ops here:
http://willstoysoldiers.blogspot.ca/2016/08/black-ops-just-another-day-in-kandahar.html

So instead, here's the last modern Afghan civilian that I painted.

With this last figure, I'm at a temporary stop on my modern Afghanistan project.  More figures are in the post, though, so eventually there will be more!  In the meantime, I've plenty of 1880-era Afghans to paint, as well as other eras and settings!

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
Good looking game!
Nice scenario idea.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
I enjoyed your game report. I picked up a copy of the Black Ops rules, but will likely be using my own rules, instead. I do my moderns in 20mm, so it lets me put more figs on the table. Black Ops, as you said, is for smaller numbers -- more of a skirmish.

And I LOVE the motorcycle guys!!!  :-* They look incredible...great job!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Cool AAR, love it! Interesting to learn about Black Ops; I'm looking for new rulesets for my games, will have to consider this one :).

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
Thanks for the comments!  Black Ops played well.  There was a chap who kept complaining that the cover of the rulebook showed some elite operative types and the only figures on the board were, umm, well, 'not' elites.  Showed to me that the rules are good and cover a wide range of possibilities!

Rules don't cover everything, so I (as referee) made a few decisions on the spot, mostly about effects of explosives on walls and things.  Players accepted my calls, so all went well.  (roll a die, high means you succeed!).  But as noted, I'm not certain how things will work out with more figures on the table.  I think next time I'll increase force sizes a bit and see if things still go smoothly.

Offline Dangerdaz

• Scientist
Great stuff!!

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
Thanks for the comments!  Black Ops played well.  There was a chap who kept complaining that the cover of the rulebook showed some elite operative types and the only figures on the board were, umm, well, 'not' elites.  Showed to me that the rules are good and cover a wide range of possibilities!

Rules don't cover everything, so I (as referee) made a few decisions on the spot, mostly about effects of explosives on walls and things.  Players accepted my calls, so all went well.  (roll a die, high means you succeed!).  But as noted, I'm not certain how things will work out with more figures on the table.  I think next time I'll increase force sizes a bit and see if things still go smoothly.

I've played some games with a dozen or so special forces operators vs equal points of insurgents and it went ok